News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Book

Bethpage Black
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
I realize that this has been covered a few times previously, but wondered the chances of a single getting out at Bethpage Black?  I have a rare meeting in New York next week and was considering getting out a day earlier to try and tackle the Black.  Is a night sleeping in my compact rental a requirement?  Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Bausch

Re: Bethpage Black
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
I realize that this has been covered a few times previously, but wondered the chances of a single getting out at Bethpage Black?  I have a rare meeting in New York next week and was considering getting out a day earlier to try and tackle the Black.  Is a night sleeping in my compact rental a requirement?  Any help would be appreciated.

No car sleep required!  Just show up early, I think 6ish and you'll be able to fit into some early morning group.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »
I 2nd Joe's statement. I played it about a month ago as a single and was added to a threesome.
By the way, the Red course is certainly worth a play as well.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »
    I was there last Wed. and a foursome that arrived at noon could have walked on at 1:20.  Singles have little problem.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 02:28:55 PM »
Agreed with Gags.  Play the red too if you have time.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
One thing that is advised would be calling ahead of time and making sure that the course is going to be open that day.

I would think a single -- especially during the week -- would have no problem.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
One thing that is advised would be calling ahead of time and making sure that the course is going to be open that day.

Good point.  And I believe the Black course is closed on Mondays.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Steffey

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:01:46 PM »
What about a twosome?

Jon Stein

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »
I played the black course yesterday.  Living out of state (CT) I was only able to make a reservation 2 days in advance.  On Friday night, I called at 7pm to reserve a twosome.  After about a dozen attempts through the system I successfully booked a 10am time on a Sunday morning.  

We checked into at 8:30am, and I noticed there was a foursome completely open at 11:21am.  Mind you, it was partly cloudy yesterday, 80-85 degrees on a Sunday in late summer.  I was shocked there was an opening for a fourball at a non-twilight hour.

While you probably do not need a reservation, walking on as a single may require a long wait.  I think it's fairly hit or miss based on no-shows or cancellations.  I recommend getting your name in the reservation system and booking a single.  You will probably be successful walking on, but you will have a better day if you aren't sitting around for hours waiting to tee off.

The course is closed on Mondays.  The message on the reservation system gives details regarding events, course closures, aeration schedules, etc.  516-249-0707.

While the course was incredible and humbling, be aware the round will be over 5 hours.  Yesterday we played in 5.5 hours while waiting on nearly every shot.  It wasn't just the group in front of us, the course was backed up everywhere.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »
Jon, what are the tee time intervals?  Five and a half hours seems a long, long time.  Maybe the course is stacked up from the git go.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »
   I believe the times are 8 minutes apart.  5 1/2 hours is the norm.

Jon Stein

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
Jon, what are the tee time intervals?  Five and a half hours seems a long, long time.  Maybe the course is stacked up from the git go.

9 minute intervals.  We started on time right at 10am.  But as we walked towards the second tee, we saw the group in front of us walking off.  I think it was one very slow group that caused a long day for everyone.  It didn't taint the Bethpage experience much, but anyone that goes there should expect a long round.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »
Jon,
I would be surprised if it was 1 slow group. The course is packed, hard and despite the warning, open to anyone that signs up. Add walking only, and you have a slow round. I have played there where you get to the second tee and you are the third group in line to play. Course is still great, pace is not.

Jon Stein

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 07:55:51 PM »
Does anyone know what is happening behind the 4th green?  I played yesterday and they have moved a lot of dirt and flattened out and elevated surface about 50-70 yards behind the green.  Are they moving the green back?  It didn't look like an alternate forward tee for #5 (which would require tree removal).  I don't recall seeing any discussion about this on GCA.  

Tim Book

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 01:42:52 AM »
Thanks for the advise from all.  It looks like next Tuesday I will get there early and take my chances.  On another note I think only this group can understand the strange look from my co-worker today when I told him that I was going to drive 4 hours each way from Boston to play golf.  He had heard that I was going to play golf a day prior to our meeting and asked if he could tag along.  When I told him I was playing on Long Island his expression was priceless.  Doesn't seem strange to me at all :)

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 01:50:53 AM »
Is there any way when preparing to play Bethpage (Black) to ensure you get the first tee time of the day? Is there a window of time early morning when you'll get around in less than 4.5hrs?

Richard Choi

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »
I have played in the second tee time of the day and played it in under 4 hours before. You just need to get there early. For a weekday, I would think 4 am should be plenty early enough.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
It would be interesting to see if play on the Black could be sped up via longer intervals between tee times. It is a long, hilly, walk with a goodly amount of repeated elevation change. The greens don't feature much undulation and are more tilted plane type greens. If they had lots of ridges and rolls, rounds would slow down even more.
Absolutely loved the course. It's a big scaled beast and I want to play it again in slightly cooler temperatures than the 101 degree heat I encountered in mid July.

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »
My advice is to sign up for the automated tee time system and check it after 8 through 11:30 the night before you want to play as, people always cancel the night before.

It has worked every time for me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back