News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Should the architect be sued for unnecessary work?
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:57:27 AM »
I played Elk Ridge in Carson, WA last Saturday. This is a property that is built on the side of the Columbia River Gorge. Before there was a golf course there, the rain fell and ran away into the Columbia River. After the course was built (and shaped) there are drains in the golf course, because there are now pockets that would fill with water during rains. Should the architect be sued to reshape and remove the drains so that the course drains naturally?

When I played Bandon Dunes for the first time, I noticed shaping and drains on the first three holes. Immediate turn off. How can these raters keep putting it so high in the rankings? Bandon Trails is twice the course, and of course I won't get much argument on the other two being better either.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Wiggett

Re: Should the architect be sued for unnecessary work?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 02:26:14 AM »
GJ,

are you sure that the pockets where the water gathers are not catchment soakaways? These are used often in Europe as a way to prevent run off water from going directly into an open water source such as a river or lake.

Jon

Frank Pont

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 04:39:02 AM »
How about clients should be sued for unnecessary work (read R&A and TOC)  :)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:00:41 AM »
It would be hard to win that lawsuit.  There are several theories of drainage, or for that matter, taste, which are so far, not real candidates for lawsuits.  Obviously, I am generally against the idea of suing architects for everything you don't happen to like......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
Only if the bridge architect should be sued for building a home for the troll.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:21:43 AM »
The person bringing a suit must show harm. How have you been harmed by the circumstances that you describe?
That Congress allowed environmental groups to have legal standing without experiencing harm is a travesty.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
Remember that in today's highly regulated environment, drainage has been designed to meet a code, reviewed by the appropriate authorities, and permitted prior to construction.   The GCA is not winging this stuff in the field.  If there is potential runoff into a public waterway like the Columbia River, the process will be even more stringent.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »
The harm I was thinking of was the overcharge for work that was unnecessary.

My home course has a stream that runs through it that drains into the Columbia River. I know that our staff makes an effort to make sure chemicals don't get into the stream. Of course, the course was built before the environmental regulations were put into place so the was no need to add drainage to a catchment basin when it was built. So that could be a factor.

However, it looked to me like these drains were there just to allow funky shaping. The unnatural look of the shapes is what brought my attention to the drains.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:23:44 AM »

However, it looked to me like these drains were there just to allow funky shaping. The unnatural look of the shapes is what brought my attention to the drains.

They quite possibly were, Garland.... Surface water catchment basin requirements due solely to aesthetic shaping when natural slope would do the same is a pet hate of mine...

But there may have been other reasons for that shaping and hence those gully pots...

And suing the architect? Really?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »
Well, Mucci wanted money back because the course wouldn't play as fast as he wanted to. ;) I think the client might be entitled to money back if the architect padded the bill with unnecessary work. Isn't that how it works for real architects?

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »
"The harm I was thinking of was the overcharge for work that was unnecessary. "

Offer and acceptance. Why would you assume that this work was out of scope?

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »
GJ,
Please tell me you are trying to get a rise out of guys and not really serious.   ;)   Is there even a lawyer that would take such a lawsuit?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

JMEvensky

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:50:51 AM »

Is there even a lawyer that would take such a lawsuit?

Probably more than those who wouldn't.

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
GJ,
Please tell me you are trying to get a rise out of guys and not really serious.   ;)   Is there even a lawyer that would take such a lawsuit?

c'mon Mike,
you don't drain fertilizer,fungicides, and pesticides "naturally" ;) ;D into a river?
I think I've heard it all now that GCAers evaluate courses on which way the water flows as it exits the playing area.....

and yes there are thousands of lawyers who would take such a lawsuit (or ANY lawsuit)::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »

Thanks Jeff,

I assume this is a legal principle that I am ignorant of. As long as the work was detailed in the contract the client would have little if any legal standing at all is what I conclude you are saying.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 11:00:22 AM »
Is there even a lawyer that would take such a lawsuit?

Isn't Mucci a lawyer? Or at least a former lawyer?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »
I think I've heard it all now that GCAers evaluate courses on which way the water flows as it exits the playing area.....

Are you telling me that you don't find unnatural shaping that requires that water flow down in to a drain pipe offensive and stupid? I really object to courses where the fairway is a series of bowls with a drain at the bottom, because some architect thought it was cute.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
Jeff,

Do you think that drainage should play no part in the evealuation of a course?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 11:06:10 AM »

Are you telling me that you don't find unnatural shaping that requires that water flow down in to a drain pipe offensive and stupid? I really object to courses where the fairway is a series of bowls with a drain at the bottom, because some architect thought it was cute.

If we're gonna start suing people for being offensive and stupid, you have much bigger things to worry about than drains in fairways.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 11:13:36 AM »
I met a distinguished unnamed Greenkeeper who proudly informed me how he had created natural runoffs to the surrounds of the greens on his classic course by removing the "unnecesary" flaring - the original architect was Harry Colt.

Sometimes good shaping has a purpose which can leave small catchment areas - nothing wrong with piping it away.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »

Thanks Jeff,

I assume this is a legal principle that I am ignorant of. As long as the work was detailed in the contract the client would have little if any legal standing at all is what I conclude you are saying.

Exactly.
No quibble with your distaste for the feature.

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
Jeff,

Do you think that drainage should play no part in the evealuation of a course?

proper drainage plays a HUGE part in evaluation of a course
quibbling about which direction it should be diverted, not knowing the challenges and restrictions, seems a bit naïve.
a ridge that previously drained into a river, and is now a fertilized, chemically treated fairway cannot be drained directly into that same river
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »
God forbid I am sued for doing unnecessary work!  A lot of us would be in deep water!

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »
You know if the land was fit for it's purpose this would not be a problem,,  sorry someone had to say it. I wonder how MMH is these days. He would be all over this topic.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back