News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Golf Magazines and ASME Guidelines
« on: August 24, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »
Are Golf magazines following these guidelines (from the American Society of Magazine Editors)?

The ASME Guidelines for Editors and Publishers codify longstanding practices governing the relationship between editorial and advertising content. The guidelines ensure that practices commonly used by editors and publishers to prevent or resolve editorial-advertising conflicts are clearly understood and consistently applied throughout the consumer-magazine industry.

In a rapidly changing media environment, no set of rules can anticipate every issue, but these are the basic principles behind the ASME Guidelines for Editors and Publishers:

Every reader is entitled to fair and accurate news and information
    The value of magazines to advertisers depends on reader trust
    The difference between editorial content and marketing messages must be transparent
    Editorial integrity must not be compromised by advertiser influence

ASME believes that adhering to these principles benefits every magazine stakeholder: readers, editors, publishers and advertisers. Magazines found to violate the guidelines may be sanctioned by ASME; repeated violations of the guidelines may lead to disqualification from the National Magazine Awards.

http://www.magazine.org/asme/editorial-guidelines
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:15:27 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mike Sweeney

Re: Golf Magazines and ASME Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »
(from the American Society of Magazine Editors)?

Paul,

Where can I subscribe to their magazine.... ?  :D

This is CRYING out for Mike Young to reply. On a website that has destroyed the golf magazine industry, we are judging the Editors of Golf Magazines ???!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine

Send in a Letter to the Editor !!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:42:07 PM »
Paul:  You highlighted the wrong one.  

Editorial integrity must not be compromised by advertiser influence

There used to be a little more editorial integrity, 30 years ago.  But they are all scrambling to make a buck now, and it's not just golf magazines.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 12:02:20 AM »
Tom

"ASME violations" are much more apparent in recent years.  Magazines that are less $ dependent on ads like The Economist, National Geographic are much less likely to succumb.  
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 05:59:00 AM »
Agreed with the foregoing comments. The problem is particularly apparent in coverage of golf architecture in the mass circulation magazines. To paraphrase Gore Vidal's quip about politicians, the wider the audience someone tries to appeal to, the less interesting he has to be.

Bob      

Carl Johnson

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 08:19:26 AM »
Very clear that advertizing influences editorial content.  That's one of the two reasons I no longer subscribe to golf magazines.  For a while I held on to GolfWeek, but gave that up after they kept calling me on the phone pushing a renewal when I had a year or more to go on the current subscription.  I still get calls from them from time to time, but not nearly as frequently as before.

Ken Moum

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »
I've made a living writing about recreational stuff since 1976.  First it was hook and bullet, then it was golf course maintenance.

Here's the deal, virtually no publication in either of those fields has the money required to pay writers and cover their expenses for any of the really interesting stuff you see published.

It's especially bad in the hunting, fishing and travel businesses.  The magazines have never paid enough so that someone could go on a trip, pay their own way, and make even a dime of profit.  And there's no possibility that an outdoor writer could test equipment by buying it like Consumer Reports does.  So they get free or discounted trips and equipment.  

The Outdoor Writers Assn. of America, of which I was once a member, tries to handle a lot of this stuff in this document http://owaa.org/about/owaa-code-of-ethics/.  It's not perfect, but they're trying.

When I was doing hunting and fishing writing I worked for the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Dept. we worked with the Tourism Dept. which put us in contact with travel writers.  Their situation is even worse.  Magazines wanted stories on travel to interesting places but couldn't or wouldn't pay expenses.

We joked that the travel writers were some of the worst moochers we ever saw.  At the bottom of the barrel are guys like the one who called a pheasant outfitter who charged about $1,000 a day for hunting and told him that if he paid ALL the costs of a trip to South Dakota he'd get him an article in the Wall Street Journal... and delivered.  The outfiitter said he was one of the grubbiest people he ever dealt with.

Some of the same is true in the turf business.  Without help from the industry, articles on a number of subjects would simply be impossible under the kinds of budgets available.

Anyway, I said for years that what I did wasn't actually journalism, but the more it appeared to be journalism the better job I was doing. That didn't always make some of my coworkers happy, but it's pretty close to the mark.

I still do some freelancing, and I simply couldn't get some of the stories I need without help from the industry.  My goal is to write in such a way that the help they give doesn't affect the finished product in any significant way. A story on a new class of plant protection products developed by one of the big companies is of interest to readers, and it's pretty obvious that the details of the product and contacts of supers using it are coming from the company.

Most of the supers are going to be straight shooters about their experience, and it's easy enough to make it clear that the claims made are coming directly from the company.  "XYZ claims that..."  "The company says that..."  "Company spokesman Bob Smith said,"

It's certainly no worse than universities taking grant money from a chemical company to test the efficacy of a new product.

Of course there are times and places where advertisers have direct influence, but I think it's generally less than many imagine it to be. indirectly, you have to know that every writer and editor is aware of how advertisers will react to their work.  It HAS to have an impact.  OTOH, I have been in some discussions where ad sales people relayed a critical message from industry folks and the editorial staff's response was, "Screw 'em."  It didn't always work, however.

Anyway, except for newspapers, who often won't let their writers even accept free lunch (except sportswriters) are among a pretty small group of publications who can afford to be pure.... and they aren't doing so well these days either.

ken

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mike_Young

Re: Golf Magazines and ASME Guidelines New
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »
(from the American Society of Magazine Editors)?

Paul,

Where can I subscribe to their magazine.... ?  :D

This is CRYING out for Mike Young to reply. On a website that has destroyed the golf magazine industry, we are judging the Editors of Golf Magazines ???!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine

Send in a Letter to the Editor !!

ANOTHER SOCIETY????

Mike S,
This hasn't just started with Magazines.  Look at the MSNBC, CNN and Fox Newss.  Journalism is dead.  I have a friend, Tom Johnson, who was president of CNN and before that some large newspapers and Bill Moyer's asst under LBJ.  If you could hear him describe what has happened to daily news and how it is no longer a service for loyal followers of companies like CBS or NBC but instead a full time channel dedicated to making a profit.  and to do such you have to sell ads and to sell adds you need to know your audience and the surest wya to know an audience is to connect yourself to politics because politics remain for at least four year periods and other forms of interest sych as weather and crahses etc never tell us when they will happen.  Plus when you align yourself with politics you know what product will sell on your station.  AND you might not even believe what your station is spouting but it makes money.  And that's the way all this magazine stuff is also.  Developers are the only ones that can justify spending such money to promote golf courses.  The saddest thing in all of this is that so many signatures start to believe the hype the mags are saying about them.  ;D ;D
I'm just gonna keep hanging out with down here in the swamp and hope I can do a Duck Dynasty course someday.... ;D ;D

and this might be worse...

http://espn.go.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/96/was-espn-sloppy-naive-or-compromised
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:10:17 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back