News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Montrose Golf Club
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:43:46 PM »
Working on my May 2014 trip.   My wife's doctor's receptionist is from there and told her we really need to play the course.  

From those who have been there, worth a day trip from Fife to play?

The stroke saver images are super.  Is this where Hogan practiced for the '53 Open?

Tom_Doak

Re: Montrose Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:54:19 PM »
Montrose is good.  Somewhere in the same class as Elie or Crail -- a bit stronger golf, but without the great views.  You won't be disappointed by the course, but there are plenty of other choices, too.

Panmure is the course where Hogan did most of his practicing.  It's an odd course ... a bunch of flat holes near the clubhouse, and a few really fine holes out at the far end.  I'd rather go back to Montrose, but partly because it's been a lot longer since I was there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »
Thanks, Tom.  We will have a flat on North Street for a week and I think we'll stay in Fife.   Montrose looks good but.....

The Old and New
The Eden and Jubilee
The Balcomie and Craighead
Elie, Leven, Lundin

How bad can it be?   ;D  ;D

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »
A yes from me for Montrose. I think it was the first links Tom Watson played - something about how he ripped a drive down the first and lost the ball. Presumably it was just before the 1975 Carnoustie Open

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 01:43:36 AM »
John Huggan tells me it was Monifeith - not Montrose.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:30:46 AM »
Definitely a must play Bill.

Has been altered these last couple of years, due to coastal erosion, but there is still some fantastic holes, and its a very easy walk.

So make it a 36 hole day and go inland and play Forfar also is my advice.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 03:14:55 AM »
Ace

Its a no from me.  Some very good land and a few very good holes, but in the end the architecture lets the site down.  You don't need to drive past Carnoustie.  Play the Burnside - superior course with superior greens.

I am not saying Burnside is better than New and Joob, but I prefer it.  It is definitely worth a day trip.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56097.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:38:14 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 06:53:48 AM »
I agree with Sean, Bill.  I've played in a 36-hole competition at Montrose for the past 3 years and never found much to love about the course.  There is some interesting land on the first 7 holes, which run along near the top of the massive dune ridge which separates the town from the sea, but the architecture is haphazard (a few interesting greens, but a similar number of bland ones; random bunkering, many of which are rarely in play; no significant sea views for those who like eye candy....).  From 8-18, the land drops down to the lower links, and while the fairways have some movement, virtually all of the greens are pancake flat and few of them can be hit and/or held with a running shot.  16 is a world-class par-3, but one hole is not worth the price of admission, IMO.

As for alternatives, Scotscraig is slightly better than Montrose, and much closer to St. Andrews.  The Burnside is a wonderful course, but if you are going to go as far as Carnoustie, why not take a bite out of the Big Enchilada?  Unless you are short of shekels, or lack the cojones to take on the Championship course (neither of which I am sure applies to you or David) you can't miss the opportunity to play one of the finest courses in the world.  If you do want to go down the pecking order a bit, amongst those places already mentioned, I would recommend Monifieth and/or Forfar.  The former has been transformed over the past few years through significant tree removal, and plays like the links that was always hiding under the forests.  Watson wouldn't lose his drive on the 1st there these days....  As for Forfar, if it were located in the Stockbroker Belt around London it would be raved about by all the Heathlandophiles on this website.  See for yourself.

Enjoy

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 07:09:53 AM »
Totally agree with Rich G,

maybe add Blairgowerie's Rosemount to the list

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48529.msg1093885.html#msg1093885

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 07:21:31 AM »
Bill

Forget St Andrews and follow Brian's advice and base yourself in Forfar for the week. You won't be disappointed, honest  ;D

OK I was joking, but not about the course, dirt cheap relatively speaking with some fine golf.

Niall

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
Well I'll run against the recent grain, I would play Montrose.
It's by no means perfect, but there are lots of great holes, particularly right out of the box.
I found it extremely fun to play and that's why I would play there.

I think we underestimate how important a few fun courses are on one of these trips.
It would make a nice afternoon contrast to Carnoustie.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, guys.  

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »
Working on my May 2014 trip.   My wife's doctor's receptionist is from there and told her we really need to play the course.  

From those who have been there, worth a day trip from Fife to play?

The stroke saver images are super.  Is this where Hogan practiced for the '53 Open?

Bill

I have played Montrose and heartily recommend it.  It is a true hidden gem and a relative steal compared to the inflated prices you will play at the more well known courses.  

There is also a very nice 18 hole  executive type course on the property.  We played that after lunch, it is a very easy walk.

Eric

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »
Bill

I was a member of Royal Montrose when I lived in Scotland.  I'd say the course very much reflects the character of the town.  Sturdy, austere, but catch it on a good day and its lovely.

I'd echo pretty much all of what has been said about it.  Sean (as ever) is very close to the mark.  The best golf comes early (by the 7th) and the  16th green is one of the finest green designs in all of golf.  There is a lot of gorse and in May it will be close to its peak.  Like Dornoch, the gorse of Montrose transforms the course and for a few short weeks it literally sparkles, as well as smelling wonderful.

Over many repeated plays I grew to respect the course a great deal, but can't say for sure if I loved it.  It was a great place to be a member and The Royal was a great little club. It made me a much better player whilst I was there.  Pinging 3-irons off tight bare lies became second nature.  But, as others have said, the greens are mostly flat and the bunkering a touch lifeless.  There really weren't many angles to the play and I don't remember the change of hole locations being of any great consequence.  These are the kind of nuances that elevate a design in my view.

I'd play it if I were you.  It's one of the oldest links in golf and will leave you with some good memories.  I'd play there again in a heartbeat.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »
Bill

I was a member of Royal Montrose when I lived in Scotland.  I'd say the course very much reflects the character of the town.  Sturdy, austere, but catch it on a good day and its lovely.

I'd echo pretty much all of what has been said about it.  Sean (as ever) is very close to the mark.  The best golf comes early (by the 7th) and the  16th green is one of the finest green designs in all of golf.  There is a lot of gorse and in May it will be close to its peak.  Like Dornoch, the gorse of Montrose transforms the course and for a few short weeks it literally sparkles, as well as smelling wonderful.

Over many repeated plays I grew to respect the course a great deal, but can't say for sure if I loved it.  It was a great place to be a member and The Royal was a great little club. It made me a much better player whilst I was there.  Pinging 3-irons off tight bare lies became second nature.  But, as others have said, the greens are mostly flat and the bunkering a touch lifeless.  There really weren't many angles to the play and I don't remember the change of hole locations being of any great consequence.  These are the kind of nuances that elevate a design in my view.

I'd play it if I were you.  It's one of the oldest links in golf and will leave you with some good memories.  I'd play there again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the thoughts, Robin.  I would like to play something new this trip.  And the gorse should be spectacular.  

Mark Alexander

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
I shot the course on a bitterly cold morning in May. The sun was shinning but all its power was extinguished by a biting gale blowing off the North Sea. It was the coldest I have ever been on a golf course. The wind ripped at the flagsticks and my tripod did well to stay upright. To be honest, I was glad just to be shooting rather than playing the course.

The descriptions so far give a good account of the place. The opening stretch is certainly one to savour and if the gorse is in full bloom, it will provide a cracking start to a memorable round. The encroaching coastlines offers up some tantalizing views of the deserted beach below and the greens are in superb condition. Just watch out for the wind - it can be bitter and merciless.

I was also up at Forfar GC which looked good and well worth a trip. I am still to shoot that one but in the meantime, check out the Montrose shots (which are best viewed by opting for the full-screen mode on the right-hand side of the page).

http://www.markalexanderphotography.co.uk/Montrose/

Bill Brightly

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »
Can any of you comment on the Dukes Course? If I was planning to play the courses Bill listed:

The Old and New
The Eden and Jubilee
Elie, Leven, Lundin

Should  I add Dukes? Or should I just look to play more on the St. Andrews courses using their 200L weekly ticket?

I'm also wondering if I should look to play Leven & Lundin on the same day, or take advantage of their daily tickets and play one of them twice. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:00:10 PM by Bill Brightly »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »
Can any of you comment on the Dukes Course? If I was planning to play the courses Bill listed:

The Old and New
The Eden and Jubilee
Elie, Leven, Lundin

Should  I add Dukes? Or should I just look to play more on the St. Andrews courses using their 200L weekly ticket?

I'm also wondering if I should look to play Leven & Lundin on the same day, or take advantage of their daily tickets and play one of them twice. Thoughts?

Leven and Lundin the same day would be great fun, you could figure which holes made up the original 18.  The other 18 would be "new" holes from over a century ago!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »

The Old and New
The Eden and Jubilee
Elie, Leven, Lundin

I would add Kingsbarns or Castle Course if possible, before The Dukes.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
I believe Montrose is a similar set-up to a few other places in Scotland where the local authority/town owns the land and several different private clubs plus the general public have the right to play over the links.

Pretty nice course though, mega-humpy-bumpy par-4 2nd, plateau par-3 3rd and outstanding long par-3 16th being particularly memorable.

Arbroath, a nice James Braid links between Montrose and Dundee, notable for it's quick draining/drying, is also worth playing if you're in the area. Although neither Arbroath nor Montrose are quite up to the level of the better Aberdeen/Dundee/St Andrews courses, both are worth playing if your residing locally or if you've the time available whilst travelling in that area.

All the best.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »

The Old and New
The Eden and Jubilee
Elie, Leven, Lundin

I would add Kingsbarns or Castle Course if possible, before The Dukes.

Oh, they are definitely on the list already!

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
Bill

I've played the Dukes quite a lot but not since the makeover by one of Tom D's protege's (I think) which involved building some new holes which undoubtedly would help as they removed a few of the porrer holes. The makeover also included changing the pot bunkers to heathland style/heather coated bunkers. While I've not played the new look course I have walked most of it and it looks very nice. Just don't fall for the Heathland tag they are now giving it. It's built on clay and when it's wet its very wet.

If you use the search engine there should be a recent thread on it with photos.

Niall

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »
The Duke's redesign is by Tim Liddy, once of the Pete Dye stable.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back