News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

I really need some help with this one...

My Greenville, SC golf club plays a Ryder Cup style match each year with a a group from the Greater Detroit area. Three days of golf: 36, 36, 18.

We are looking for the "perfect" location half-way between Greenville and Detroit that we can use for a neutral site to stage the match. This event usually takes place in August, sometime in the fall would work as well.

In looking at a map it seems somewhere around Louisville might be about an equal drive for both groups, but I have no idea if there is good, reasonably priced golf in the area. We don't need great courses, but they should be really good and lots of fun.

Ideally, we would play two different courses with decent accommodations and pubs/restaurants nearby... very much like what we seek out for a Dixie Cup or Buda Cup.

Any ideas? I just know you guys will solve this problem for me!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Greg Tallman

Try Glade Springs Resort outside Beckley West Virginia. Nothing great but solid.

6 1/2 hours for the Dettroit guys and about 5 for the Greenville guys.

Two of the top rated courses in WV and another 18.

Unlkmited packages available... side trip to Oakhurst a possibility.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:05:27 PM by Greg Tallman »

Scott Warren

Whitty, how about French Lick?

You SC boys drive a little further, but it's pretty close and I hear the courses are very good and area enjoyable.

Bill_McBride

Paging John Mayhugh!

Mac Plumart

Victoria National might be worth a shot.

Here's a link to their Discovery Packages (http://www.victorianational.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=327059&ssid=222004&vnf=1)

Maybe they'd work a deal for such a big group.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:28:14 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Terry Lavin

Chicago, of course.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike_Young

I would think you would be taking 75 out of Knoxville if you come across the mountain from Greenville.  There is a Marriott resort in Lexington KY as well as Idlehour or you can drive to Cinn for Coldstream or Dayton for NCR and Moraine.  Dayton is 8 hours from Athens and then 6 into Detroit.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike Schott

Mike, Dayton is 3.5 hours from Detroit. Lexington is about 5.5 hours from Detroit.

Michael Whitaker

I would think you would be taking 75 out of Knoxville if you come across the mountain from Greenville.  There is a Marriott resort in Lexington KY as well as Idlehour or you can drive to Cinn for Coldstream or Dayton for NCR and Moraine.  Dayton is 8 hours from Athens and then 6 into Detroit.

Mike - I think Lexington is the ticket!!! About a 5 hour drive for both sides. The Marriott Resort has a great offer of $269 per day for room, unlimited golf for two, breakfast for two, and 20% discount in pro shop!

Is Idle Hour accessible for a group of 16-24?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Garland Bayley

Mac,

Which part of "lots of fun" didn't you understand?
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Whitaker

Mac,

Which part of "lots of fun" didn't you understand?
 ;D

Or, "reasonably priced."

Michael Whitaker

Chicago, of course.

Don't I wish! 11 hour drive from Greenville. Ouch!

Michael Whitaker

Whitty, how about French Lick?

You SC boys drive a little further, but it's pretty close and I hear the courses are very good and area enjoyable.

Too far... 7 hour drive from each direction.

Michael Whitaker

Victoria National might be worth a shot.

Here's a link to their Discovery Packages (http://www.victorianational.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=327059&ssid=222004&vnf=1)

Maybe they'd work a deal for such a big group.

Too far... 8 hour drive from SC.

Mike_Young

Mike, Dayton is 3.5 hours from Detroit. Lexington is about 5.5 hours from Detroit.

Sorry I was thinking Traverse City..cause Dayton is about halfway for me.... ;)

Mike_Young

Mike - I think Lexington is the ticket!!! About a 5 hour drive for both sides. The Marriott Resort has a great offer of $269 per day for room, unlimited golf for two, breakfast for two, and 20% discount in pro shop!

Is Idle Hour accessible for a group of 16-24?

I would think you could work out something with Idlehour...ask Ron Pritchard to help you or I will be glad to bug him about it...

Tommy Williamsen

Michael, I would think that you might be able to get on Coldstream in Cincinnati with a call from your pro.  Camargo might be more difficult.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Lang

8)   anything with real hills is gonna be an issue for the Detroit'ers
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:39:13 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

ward peyronnin

Kenwood in Cinncinnati has 36 good holes and a huge facility. Fuzzy's Covered Bridge and the Ceasars Chariots Run course around New Albany area decent and daily fee.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Jason Thurman

Access is tough at Idle Hour. It's a very exclusive, thoroughbred-money club. It won't be inexpensive either. It is a GREAT course though. I think it's easily the best in Kentucky, and would jump at the chance if you can find a way on. I just think it's unlikely.

There are several great options in Lexington though. Stay away from the Marriott course. It's 10 ok holes followed by 8 of the worst holes I've ever seen. It's also much more expensive than other area public courses that are considerably better. Lexington's an excellent city for golf value, even if it doesn't have a great course outside of Idle Hour.

Here's my recommendations, in order of preference:

1. Champion Trace - A very good Art Hills course just south of the city. Private, but accessible with a friendly phone call and I'd be more surprised if they weren't willing to work with you. It's an excellent tournament course and quite a bit better than any other Hills course I've played. I swear I don't entirely mean that as a backhanded compliment. Great value at about $70 for guest play, give or take.

2. Old Silo - A bit of a drive, but not too far. Easily the best public in the Lexington area, and very good value. Can be played for under $50.

3. Kearney Hill - Nothing too special, but a nice PB and Pete Dye collaborative effort. It's hosted a few USGA tournaments and is a good, balanced test. Generally in good shape. Solid course. Under $50.

4. University Club of Kentucky - A nice 36 hole facility. I played a Ryder Cup style event there last year. Having two courses onsite was a nice perk. Some really excellent holes, but some awful ones as well. The home club of the University of Kentucky. Under $50.

5. Picadome - A nice muni in the heart of Lexington. Classic design principles on a tight property. 18 really good holes, with some pretty interesting bones for an architecture fan. Not the championship test of some of the others on this list, but still reasonably challenging at around 6500 yards. Small greens, some fiercely pitched. Quirky in spots. Could be pretty special with some tree clearing and a restoration/renovation that will probably never happen. You can probably play for under $40.

There are several other good courses in the area. Cherry Blossom in Georgetown is always in excellent shape, though perhaps a touch overwatered. Pretty standard residential design though. Same goes for Houston Oaks in Paris. Both solid courses that non-architecture nerds would probably prefer over Picadome, which is really more of a personal favorite for me.

The public golf in Lexington is far superior to the options in Louisville or Cincinnati, in my experience. There are good private options in all three cities if you can get access.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Nigel Islam

Jason is right about Louisville. I'm from the area and I thought Covered Bridge in Sellersburg would be perfect for what you want, but I'm struggling to come up with two-three courses close enough that are decent. French Lick would be cool, but really the Dye course is quite pricey, and that just leaves Sultan's Run and the Ross course which are 30 minutes apart. Indy and Lexington would seem to have the right concoction of close, good public courses. You could also do Belterra, Grand Victoria and Lassing Pointe between Cincy and Louisville. I have not played any of those though. How many people are playing?

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

How about Hurstbourne?

Steve Kline

Coldstream would be unlikely. Camargo - forget about it. I would be embarassed to even ask them for a round for just myself let alone a group of 16-24.

Mark McKeever

The Homestead or the Greenbriar.

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mike Hendren

Only on this site would someone suggest contacting a private club from afar to arrange 90 holes of golf for two dozen players.  And only on this site would someone have the audacity to do it (not you Michael).

As a gracious gesture I suggest the Southerners offer to drive a little farther to Indianapolis.  Stay in the former officers quarters at The Fort to enhance fellowship.  Teams dinner at St. Elmo.  Add Liddy's Trophy Club and Dye's Brickyard to the rota.

You're welcome.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back