News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Glowacki

Re: Walker Cup at NGLA-Who is going??
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 04:00:44 AM »
Pat, a few tv towers have already be erected.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 04:26:33 AM »

Chuck,

That's interesting because an involved  member of NGLA, told me that only hand held cameras would be in use.

Where are the TV Towers you reference, located ?

Nate Oxman

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 10:51:28 AM »
Any idea if they're keeping the golf shop open?

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 04:23:33 PM »

Chuck,

That's interesting because an involved  member of NGLA, told me that only hand held cameras would be in use.

Where are the TV Towers you reference, located ?

behind #9 and 11

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »
Any idea if they're keeping the golf shop open?

golf shop closed an will be moved to merchandise tent, i believe on drivin range

Nate Oxman

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 10:07:26 PM »
Will they only sell merchandise with the Walker Cup logo or will they sell regular NGLA merchandise as well?

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »
I will be staying at the Garden City Hotel and playing several notable golf courses that week and weekend, in addition to taking in the tournament.  Specifically visiting the club located walking distance across Cherry Valley Avenue, a club on the north shore in Nassau County as well as one further out on the Island, both bordering the sound.   ;D
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mark McKeever

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »
Doug, I now think more highly of you. 

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »
I thinking about making the trip up from DC for the weekend.  What are the odds of a close hotel on Saturday night?  Any other good courses in the area worth seeing or is National the only good one?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »
The National is definitely the only good course on Long Island.  
Tim Weiman

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2013, 09:59:33 PM »

I thinking about making the trip up from DC for the weekend. 
What are the odds of a close hotel on Saturday night? 

Chip,

this is still the Labor Day Week, but, I'd check with the Southampton Inn and the Hampton Maid in Hamptons Bay, both about 15 minutes or so from NGLA

Any other good courses in the area worth seeing or is National the only good one?

That's funny !

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 12:44:35 AM »
Will they only sell merchandise with the Walker Cup logo or will they sell regular NGLA merchandise as well?

I was at the Walker Cup at Merion. There was no club merchandise available it was incorporated into the Walker Cup logo

ward peyronnin

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
Ok the real question is what will you be sporting? I intend to feature mustard yellow trousers with a sky blue Cinque Ports hat courtesy of whittaker and either a fuchsia or purple shirt. No excuses for not "running into me" on Saturday!
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
Ok the real question is what will you be sporting? I intend to feature mustard yellow trousers with a sky blue Cinque Ports hat courtesy of whittaker and either a fuchsia or purple shirt. No excuses for not "running into me" on Saturday!

Thanks for the warning!  :o
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 06:16:03 AM »
I thinking about making the trip up from DC for the weekend.  What are the odds of a close hotel on Saturday night?  Any other good courses in the area worth seeing or is National the only good one?

Chip,

You might also want to look into the Garden City Hotel, about an hour or so from NGLA

Bill McKinley

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »
Just found out that I'm going on Friday! Playing golf tomorrow in the area then heading out to take in the practice round and opening ceremonies on Friday. Pumped!! Hope to see some of you there
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 07:34:50 AM »
I'll be there in a blue whistling straits shirt and my camera, although ill probably head out a bit earlier as I have to make my way to Virginia for the Oregon game tomorrow.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

ed_getka

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »
I'll be there tomorrow. Driving up tonight after getting off work. I'll be wearing my Sand Hills swag. Any chance I can sneak my camera in? I'm not interested in photographing the golf, just the course.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »
What time do the shuttle buses start running?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
I'll be dressed in black...as usual :)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

John McCarthy

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2013, 07:46:52 PM »
The Walker Cup alumni association had to make do with Shinnicock and Pine Valley this week.  Poor dears.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Bill_McBride

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »
Go Bears!  Three Cal players 3-0 in singles today.  Alabama well represented as well.   What a great afternoon for Team USA.  NGLA looks spectacular.  It was amazing to see those guys driving into the greenside bunker at 17, my favorite hole on the course.

Tim Martin

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »
Go Bears!  Three Cal players 3-0 in singles today.  Alabama well represented as well.   What a great afternoon for Team USA.  NGLA looks spectacular.  It was amazing to see those guys driving into the greenside bunker at 17, my favorite hole on the course.

Bill-17 is an awesome hole and the strategy options were never more evident than when Rodgers tried to drive the green and couldn't get it up and in while Moynihan played a conservative tee shot and wedged close for birdie 3. So many different types of shots from the same spots by different players. Imagination needs to be in every player's arsenal. NGLA is as good as it gets. :)

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2013, 03:53:33 AM »
The course looks fantastic, even if the distance these kids drive the ball is ridiculous.  I think old CB is rolling in his grave watching these guys hit knock-down wedges into some of these holes.  Is 17 the world's best 370 yard par 3? Now if we can order up a steady 3 club wind for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:23:22 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Josh Tarble

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »
The course looks fantastic, even if the distance these kids drive the ball is ridiculous.  I think old CB is rolling in his grave watching these guys hit knock-down wedges into some of these holes.  Is 17 the world's best 370 yard par 3? Now if we can order up a steady 3 club wind for tomorrow.

The course does look brilliant...and I think how far these kids are hitting it just showcases how good the course and greens are. They're hitting it 330+ and I don't see a ton of birdies being made. Great green complexes are the backbone of te course.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back