News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Jim Sherma

Boonsboro, Winchester, Spotswood or Waynesboro (Virginia)
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »
Since I will be driving down through this part of the country for the Dixie Cup in October I was doing some research and came across these four courses. They all appear to be attributed to Fred Findlay. As a big Alex Findlay (Alec?) fan I am interested in playing something by Fred if it is interesting. Does anyone have any input on any of these courses that would make me want to play it. The mileage seems to work for my travel plans and I would hope that my shop could call theirs in order to have access. Thanks.

Greg Tallman

Re: Boonsboro, Winchester, Spotswood or Waynesboro (Virginia)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
Since I will be driving down through this part of the country for the Dixie Cup in October I was doing some research and came across these four courses. They all appear to be attributed to Fred Findlay. As a big Alex Findlay (Alec?) fan I am interested in playing something by Fred if it is interesting. Does anyone have any input on any of these courses that would make me want to play it. The mileage seems to work for my travel plans and I would hope that my shop could call theirs in order to have access. Thanks.

It has been nearly 30 years since I played Boonesboro in the Virginias vs. Carolinas team matches but as I recall there was some pretty good stuff there. Nice rolling terrain and just a nice little club. If I were back in Hokie territory I would likely pop in a play it again.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »
Winchester was my home course growing up.  Not worth stoping to play.  Spotswood is a little better but still not worth making a special trip to play.  The best course to play on your route is Poplar Grove, it's pretty close to 29 and a good stop over point on the way.  The last time I played there they let me bring my dog with me on the course!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »
I think Ballyhack in Roanoke is your best play on the way from I-81 to Pinehurst.  If you haven't played it you ought to give it a try.  Very exciting golf by the Skyline Drive, and a very friendly club.

From Roanoke to Pinehurst it's four peaceful hours down US 220.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »
Jim:

Please let me know if you are interested in stopping at Ballyhack.

WW

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 07:49:44 PM »
About 15 miles east of Charlottesville off I-64 is Spring Creek.

http://www.springcreekgolfclub.com

Jim Sherma

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:17:32 AM »
Jim:

Please let me know if you are interested in stopping at Ballyhack.

WW

Wade

I sent a PM

Jim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back