News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

I suspect this has had far more press coverage in the US than it has over here in Britain, but congratulations to Matthew Fitzpatrick (recently top amateur at the Open Championship and also Boys Champion at Notts GC last year) for winning the US Amateur Championship!

Fitzpatrick's victory at The Country Club of 4&3 against Goss of Australia might not have been as dominant as his 10&8 victory in the Boys, but it appears the boy can clearly play! I didnt get a chance to meet him at Notts but those that did say he was level headed and a very decent young man. Any GCAers go to Brookline and meet or watch him?

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:12:16 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

David_Tepper

Re: Congratulations to Matthew Fitzpatrick, US Amatuer Champion!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
James -

Yes, a very big win indeed. Do you know if the young man is planning to play college golf in the U.S. or will he turn pro instead?

DT
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:58:16 PM by David_Tepper »

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »
David:

I think he's head to Northwestern to play collegiate golf.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »
Fitzpatrick is attending Northwestern. Cue the Luke Donald comparisons:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/ryan-lavner/fitzpatrick-advances-gives-england-hope/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
Fitzpatrick is attending Northwestern. Cue the Luke Donald comparisons:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/ryan-lavner/fitzpatrick-advances-gives-england-hope/

We have enough Northwestern coverage and the obligatory "Northwestern alum Luke Donald" coverage here in Chicago. Which references are usually followed by "came up short", on both accounts.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Matt Day

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »
I suspect this has had far more press coverage in the US than it has over here in Britain, but congratulations to Matthew Fitzpatrick (recently top amateur at the Open Championship and also Boys Champion at Notts GC last year) for winning the US Amateur Championship!

Fitzpatrick's victory at The Country Club of 4&3 against Goss of Canada might not have been as dominant as his 10&8 victory in the Boys, but it appears the boy can clearly play! I didnt get a chance to meet him at Notts but those that did say he was level headed and a very decent young man. Any GCAers go to Brookline and meet or watch him?

Cheers,

James

James
Oliver Goss is from Perth, Western Australia.

John McCarthy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »
I have the pleasure of getting a series of lessons from Pat Goss and David Inglis who are respectively the head coach and first assistant at Northwestern.  (It is the freakonomics golf thing.).

A:  they are obviously overjoyed getting this kid in the program

B:  they have iron stomachs to look at me play golf.

On edit:  the Country Club looked fantastic but the green side rough did not seem cricket.  

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:41:45 PM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:27:09 PM »
Seems like a great kid and signifies a bright future for golf played at its highest levels.

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:39:21 AM »
Thanks Matt, I might have had a drink last night before posting  ::) Edited!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 02:59:39 AM »
I'm sure Fitzpatrick would be happy in ten years time to come up as short as Luke Donald. Several wins in the US, Europe and Japan. $28m in US earnings and many millions abroad. To half of the US tour stars the Canadian Open is world travel.
Cave Nil Vino

Greg Taylor

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 04:01:58 AM »
Walker Cup, Curtis Cup, Solheim and Ryer Cups are all on this side of the pond...!

Didn't he win the Silver Medal at the Open too....?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 08:00:53 AM »
I'm sure Fitzpatrick would be happy in ten years time to come up as short as Luke Donald. Several wins in the US, Europe and Japan. $28m in US earnings and many millions abroad. To half of the US tour stars the Canadian Open is world travel.

But, of course he would. My comment was designed to tweak Pat Craig who trumpets all things Northwestern and Luke Donald. Donald is a consummate pro on and off the course. Would love to see him win a major so that his obituary wouldn't lead with the fact that he held the World Number One ranking for a brief time.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Rogers

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »
Fitzpatrick seems like a young man with a real life off the golf course.  Family seems to reinforce that.  Very healthy, IMO.  Hope he sticks it out at Northwestern the 4 years for a degree.

He seems undersized with too low a ball flight to take on ANGC.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

John Butler

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 09:27:25 AM »
We met Matt and his brother caddy, looked like Francis and Eddie walking down the fairways, talked with their parents as well, very down to earth, nervous but proud, look for more fine performances from Matt beginning with the Walker Cup, course and event were wonderful.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »

But, of course he would. My comment was designed to tweak Pat Craig who trumpets all things Northwestern and Luke Donald. Donald is a consummate pro on and off the course. Would love to see him win a major so that his obituary wouldn't lead with the fact that he held the World Number One ranking for a brief time.

Terry,

Pat Craig attended Northeastern, the bane of Boston architecture.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »

Terry,

I trumpet all things Northwestern? News to me! :) I better go out and buy a pair of purple pants like Mr. Smolens ;)

I do root for Luke Donald but that's mainly due to experiences dating back to when I was in high school and we would practice with the NU team. He's also extremely generous with his time and contributes a lot to the First Tee of Chicago of which I was involved with while in town. So yeah, I'm a bit of a homebody in that regard.  

I really enjoyed watching the coverage this past week of the US Am. I was bummed I couldn't make it in person but I chose to stick around here for our member-member tournament weekend. It was great seeing the course I caddied at in college on TV and it's neat to see it finally getting some love on GCA and elsewhere. Matt Fitzpatrick's story is great and he flat out won the tournament only getting past the 15th green once  :o in winning all of his matches. Extra special was the comparisons to Francis and Eddie as his 14 y/o brother caddied for him. Double extra special was watching a short hitter win on a 7300 yard par 70 beast of a course over much longer hitters.

H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »

Terry,

Pat Craig attended Northeastern, the bane of Boston architecture.

NU being the bane of Boston architecture....honestly have never heard that one before.
H.P.S.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »
Apair of purple pants  ??? I'll put my purple wardrobe up against the best of them.

Looking forward to working the Windon at Knollwood CC next month to see the U.S. Am champ in action. Congrats Matt and Go Cats!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 10:58:20 AM »
More uninformed character assassination on my part.  It's always good to play to one's strengths.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 01:34:46 PM »
I was at the final on Sunday. Some titbits and observations:

1. I ran into a lady carrying an Australian Flag... unlike myself she was not actually Australian, but a member of Charles River who had both Brady Watt and Oliver Goss staying at her house during the week of the Amateur... As you may have noticed, after being eliminated in semi-final Brady Watt caddied for Oliver Goss during the final.. This was because the Australian golfer who caddied for Goss during his previous matches had booked a flight home on Sunday. (I guess he was not fancying his own chances when he made those travel arrangements.) Because the airline was asking for a $1000 schedule change fee, he decided to take the flight home... As result, Brady stepped into caddy, but not before squiring a young lady from Newton around the drinking halls of Boston until 6am. I thought the bars closed in MA at 2am, so I guess there was some other activities scheduled between 2-6am. ;D

Hopefully he got in a nap between the morning and afternoon 18.

2. The Country Club has substantially improved from the work Gil Hanse has done there, but the Championship Tees have been pushed so far back from the fairways, many tee shots are now either blind or semi-blind from the 7,300yd markers.  

3. Matthew Fitzpatrick has a Luke Donald-style game.. He's a slight fellow and was giving up 20-30 yds when both players were hitting driver.. He was simply steady, not spectacular, during the Final and won because Goss's game fell off in the afternoon 18. (I have no reports on what time Goss went to bed).  

4. The TCC Membership and other attendees are a well-traveled bunch.. I was wearing a Kingston Heath hat and an NSWGC shirt - probably 20 people walked up to me having played one or both of those courses, including the official R&A observer whose brother is a member at NSW..

5. The whole event was a shrine to Francis Ouimet. Funnily enough, I don't think he was ever a member at TCC. I have a spare 'Ouimet 100' sticker should anyone want it...

Next!

PCCraig

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
5. The whole event was a shrine to Francis Ouimet. Funnily enough, I don't think he was ever a member at TCC. I have a spare 'Ouimet 100' sticker should anyone want it...

Thanks for the report Anthony! Francis was indeed a member of TCC.
H.P.S.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »

Was he an honorary member? He reported as a member of another club when he subsequently won the Amateur..
Next!

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »

Was he an honorary member? He reported as a member of another club when he subsequently won the Amateur..

I can check the club history but I believe he was an honorary member.
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
I was at the final on Sunday. Some titbits and observations:

1. I ran into a lady carrying an Australian Flag... unlike myself she was not actually Australian, but a member of Charles River who had both Brady Watt and Oliver Goss staying at her house during the week of the Amateur... As you may have noticed, after being eliminated in semi-final Brady Watt caddied for Oliver Goss during the final.. This was because the Australian golfer who caddied for Goss during his previous matches had booked a flight home on Sunday. (I guess he was not fancying his own chances when he made those travel arrangements.) Because the airline was asking for a $1000 schedule change fee, he decided to take the flight home... As result, Brady stepped into caddy, but not before squiring a young lady from Newton around the drinking halls of Boston until 6am. I thought the bars closed in MA at 2am, so I guess there was some other activities scheduled between 2-6am. ;D

Hopefully he got in a nap between the morning and afternoon 18.

2. The Country Club has substantially improved from the work Gil Hanse has done there, but the Championship Tees have been pushed so far back from the fairways, many tee shots are now either blind or semi-blind from the 7,300yd markers.  

3. Matthew Fitzpatrick has a Luke Donald-style game.. He's a slight fellow and was giving up 20-30 yds when both players were hitting driver.. He was simply steady, not spectacular, during the Final and won because Goss's game fell off in the afternoon 18. (I have no reports on what time Goss went to bed).  

4. The TCC Membership and other attendees are a well-traveled bunch.. I was wearing a Kingston Heath hat and an NSWGC shirt - probably 20 people walked up to me having played one or both of those courses, including the official R&A observer whose brother is a member at NSW..

A sleeve of Pro V1s to the best original limerick starting, "There was a young lady from Newton" and tying in the US Amateur final.  Post your entries here, I will be the judge and awarder.  

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
Not much rhymes perfectly with Newton. Here's a poor first effort....

There was a young lady from Newton
Who fell for an Aussie with a suit on
He behaved like a baddie
Then went off to caddie
But Fitzpatrick gave his player the boot (on)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back