News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Edward Moody

Ben Crenshaw Interview - Morfit
« on: August 19, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »
I'm a new member and this is my first post...

Really enjoyed reading this interview with Ben and glad it focused so much on architecture and design.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/ben-crenshaw-interview-masters-ryder-cup-golf-course-design-and-his-favorite-courses

PCCraig

Re: Ben Crenshaw Interview - Morfit
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »
Welcome Edward. Thanks for sharing.
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 05:32:12 PM »
Welcome aboard, Edward.  Now you have to do the intro and tell us about yourself, what got you into golf, what hooked you on Golf Course Architecture, favorite courses...

And thanks for posting that Crenshaw interview link, it's a cool story.

Edward Moody

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Bill,  

I am 33 and have lived in Austin since graduating from UT in 2002. I work in finance and my wife and I have 2 young boys.

I play my golf at the Austin Golf Club.

My interest in golf came from my grandfather. He was a serious player and talked about golf a lot and played at some of the finest courses in the US  When I was in high school, and very much into basketball and not golf, he would tell me stories of him playing Augusta National, Seminole, and Cypress Point.  He died before I really got into golf and it's a shame I wasn't as into it then as I am now.

My interest in architecture probably came from the first time I played Oak Hills in San Antonio. I had never played a classic course, much less a Tilly, so I started paying much more attention to design.

My work and family keep me close to Austin so I haven't played much outside of the state, although I plan to focus more on that. In TX I have enjoyed Whispering Pines, Colonial, and Oak Hills. I've also played a lot at Lakeside in Houston and Comanche Trace in Kerrville. I like both.

JMEvensky

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:27:13 AM »
Bill,  

I am 33 and have lived in Austin since graduating from UT in 2002. I work in finance and my wife and I have 2 young boys.

My interest in golf came from my grandfather. He was a serious player and talked about golf a lot and played at some of the finest courses in the US  When I was in high school, and very much into basketball and not golf, he would tell me stories of him playing Augusta National, Seminole, and Cypress Point.  He died before I really got into golf and it's a shame I wasn't as into it then as I am now.

My interest in architecture probably came from the first time I played Oak Hills in San Antonio. I had never played a classic course, much less a Tilly, so I started paying much more attention to design.

My work and family keep me close to Austin so I haven't played much outside of the state, although I plan to focus more on that. In TX I have enjoyed Whispering Pines, Colonial, and Oak Hills. I've also played a lot at Lakeside in Houston and Comanche Trace in Kerrville. I like both.

From a fellow Longhorn alum--welcome (and Hook 'Em).

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »
Bill,  

UT.  Say didn't they used to be pretty good in football, basketball and baseball?

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

JMEvensky

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:47:47 AM »
Bill,  

UT.  Say didn't they used to be pretty good in football, basketball and baseball?

Tacky and beneath you--I didn't mention the basketball issues in Westwood.

Hey,at least we've got women's volleyball going for us.

Edward Moody

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »
And golf is back!  The Scheffler kid put on a pretty good run at the Am.

Basketball might be in the tank for awhile.  As for football, and b/c this is a Ben thread, "I have a good feeling about this"...

Paul Jones

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:59 PM »

UT.  Say didn't they used to be pretty good in football, basketball and baseball?

Lynn,

Be nice to the new guy, you might get paired up with him in a club tournament  :)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:26:55 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 05:43:36 PM »
Edward and I have already played and I have no doubt that he will be a great addition here.  Pretty good player too.

I did however forget to ask him who he thought designed Merion.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »
Bill,  

They will love you in Austin!  l-l.   ( A stab at a Hook 'Em emoticon)

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »
 8) and have you played at Willie's place for fun?

send an email when you want to play at The Woodlands
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back