News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Falkner

Re: Bethpage to host 2019 PGA and 2024 Ryder Cup
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
Brian I am guessing you didnt go with the Baileys and Brandy!

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Brian Finn

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
It's official:
http://www.pga.com/news/pga/bethpage-black-2019-pga-championship-and-2024-ryder-cup-sites-announced

I am very excited to hear this has been made official.  While both events are several years out, I am hopeful that the weather in August and October is more cooperative than in June 2002 and (even more so) June 2009.  I've been fortunate to play this great course many times when fairways and greens were firm and fast.  Not only are such conditions generally preferable, but also they allow The Black Course to really show what makes it a great test and a worthy venue.  It will be interesting to see what changes (if any) they make between now and 2019.  
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Steve Lapper

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »
From Phil Young:

The announcement that Bethpage Black will be hosting the 2019 PGA and the 2024 Ryder Cup is wonderful news. I noticed some comments and questions about the relationship between the USGA & Bethpage already and thought that I'd answer them. Kevin D. surmised, "What is far more interesting to me is - has Bethpage taken itself out of the US Open rota?" The answer is an emphatic NO! The USGA took Bethpage out of it and it was only after the relationship had been cut off that Bethpage took the call from the PGA. I have absolute first-hand knowledge of this as when parties at the USGA learned that they were speaking to both Barclay's and the PGA I was asked to approach Bethpage on their behalf.
      The entire episode will be detailed in a new history of Bethpage that was delayed pending the announcement of the PGA & Ryder Cup at Bethpage. It should be out late next spring.
      If anyone has specific questions feel free to email me at my website, www.goldenageresearch.com and I'll gladly answer them as I may. Phil Young

Joe, et.al.,

It's easy (and accurate) for Phil to portray NY State (owners of Bethpage) as the benign and slighted party in this, however no one knows better than Pete Bevaqua and the folks at the PGA that ANY involvement with them precludes them from short-to-medium term involvement with the USGA for an Open.

Bethpage wants/needs and deserves to make considerable $$ from any relationship with professional golf and the PGA's promise of a PGA and two future RCs will help fill their coffers. It will also allow them to better justify spending more $$ on the park complex...thus a win/win for the NY golfing public.

I will be the first to state that I expect the next "NEW" NYC Metro area course to break into the US Open rota will be Ferry Point. Don't be surprised to read shortly about the very strong quality and potential of Ferry Point to host major events. It'll only be a matter of time.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Greg Taylor

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 11:56:56 AM »
Well having been to the US Open at BP, all I can tell you is that I can't remember seeing so many drunk people in the same place at the same time... it was raucous to say the least.

They'll love the Ryder Cup.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »

i can't begin to fathom 2024!!!  ;D

50/50 i'm even still alive!

In perspective, Tiger will be almost 50 years old so I doubt he'll be on the team.  

Sorry to deflate all the Tiger watchers.

Tiger will be the captain... at the venue of one of his greatest US Open victories. Epic!

Agreed- seems like that will be the sweet spot age for him to be captain, the PGA will love the story, and the fans will dig it. Although he will probably choose himself as captain's pick.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back