News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Bethpage to host 2019 PGA and 2024 Ryder Cup
« on: August 12, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »
I think Bethpage will be a great venue, but a Ryder Cup in NYC? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen. People thought the fans in Boston were over the top, but will it even be close to the behavior at Bethpage?

http://t.golfweek.com/news/2013/aug/12/bethpage-black-ryder-cup-2024-pga-championship-019/?

Brian Finn

Re: Bethpage to host 2019 PGA and 2024 Ryder Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
I think Bethpage will be a great venue, but a Ryder Cup in NYC? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen. People thought the fans in Boston were over the top, but will it even be close to the behavior at Bethpage?

http://t.golfweek.com/news/2013/aug/12/bethpage-black-ryder-cup-2024-pga-championship-019/?

Hoover...have you ever been to NY?  A golf tournament in NY?  Any reason you feel it would be worse than Boston, Philly, Chicago or another major city known for 'lively' fans?  .

Forget it.  Not worth arguing something as silly as this. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:59:47 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:12:05 PM »
Thanks for considering the West Coast.  

Q. Secondly, for Pete, there's been some talk over the last couple of years whether Torrey would be interested in a PGA Championship. Just curious if you could say whether they have asked to host, and where that stands if they have.

PETE BEVACQUA: Yeah, Doug, I would tell you, part of our strategy is to look at locations and potential locations, obviously for both the PGA Championship and The Ryder Cup.

We don't have any definitive answers regarding the West Coast, other than we think being on the West Coast makes a lot of sense at some point in the future. So we certainly have our eye on different venues on the West Coast. We think it's important to bring the PGA Championship to that part of the country, as well as The Ryder Cup at some point, and it's certainly a priority of the organizations.

Kevin_D

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
Bethpage is hosting the Ryder cup...and the first few comments are about how bad the fans will be, and some whining about the west coast???

1. Bethpage is a phenomenal course and venue, and the New York area (and Northeast generally) has the most golf fans per capita of anywhere in the country
2. I never heard "mashed potatoes" more than at Firestone, and Rochester is NOT NYC, so the issue of fans acting like buffoons is not an NYC or Notheast phenomenon. Merion hosted a great tournament without incident
3. What is far more interesting to me is - has Bethpage taken itself out of the US Open rota?
4. I am so excited for this. 11 years goes quickly as you get older, right?

Cheers,
Kevin
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:36:05 PM by Kevin_D »

Brian Finn

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »
Could not possibly agree with you more, Kevin.  Great post.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Mark Steffey

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:35:41 PM »
4. I am so excited for this. 11 years goes quickly as you get older, right?

Cheers,
Kevin

i can't begin to fathom 2024!!!  ;D

50/50 i'm even still alive!

John McCarthy

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »
No.

Just no.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »

In perspective, Tiger will be almost 50 years old so I doubt he'll be on the team.  

Sorry to deflate all the Tiger watchers.

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »

3. What is far more interesting to me is - has Bethpage taken itself out of the US Open rota?

Cheers,
Kevin

I'd guess yes.

It's been the same thing with Whistling Straits and the U.S. Open -- as much as Herb Kohler would give his left arm for an Open, the PGA's offering of two PGAs and the Ryder Cup was too much to pass up.

The USGA seems to have a few courses in semi-permanent rotation -- Oakmont, Pinehurst, Shinnecock, and Pebble Beach. Those four provide a pretty good geographic distribution of the big event, something the USGA strives for. My sense is the USGA would like to have another US Open at both Chambers Bay and Erin Hills following their debuts in 2015 and 2017 -- I'd guess Erin Hills stands a very good chance for a repeat Open in 202X. After Pinehurst in 2015, Ch. Bay in 2015, Oakmont in 2016, EHills in 2017, Shinny in 2018, and PBeach in 2019, it goes back to Winged Foot in 2020. I doubt the USGA would return it to BBlack within 5 years of it being at WFoot -- given that Shinny gets it in 2018 and probably makes a return 10 years or so from then. Plus I doubt BBlack itself thinks it can squeeze in an Open in between the PGA and Ryder Cup. So I'd guess the earliest we'd see a US Open return to the Black would be 2030 at the earliest.

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »

Hoover...have you ever been to NY?  A golf tournament in NY?  Any reason you feel it would be worse than Boston, Philly, Chicago or another major city known for 'lively' fans?  .

Forget it.  Not worth arguing something as silly as this.  

I'm basing this solely on the Yankees fans I encountered at an Indians-Yankees playoff game in 2007. Full disclosure, I dumped a beer on one of them when the Indians won the game.

Seriously though, I said that I think it will be a great venue. (And Steelers fans are much more obnoxious than NY fans.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:11:16 PM by Brian Hoover »

BHoover

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »

Does the West Coast work for the Ryder Cup? The problem is that our friends in Europe will want to watch as well (maybe more so). The West Coast is 8-9 hours behind Europe, so it'd be difficult to make the broadcast work. I have to think that plays at least some factor in eliminating the West Coast.

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 09:22:43 PM »

I'm basing this solely on the Yankees fans I encountered at an Indians-Yankees playoff game in 2007. Full disclosure, I dumped a beer on one of them when the Indians won the game.

+ 10,000!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:33:47 PM »

It's been the same thing with Whistling Straits and the U.S. Open -- as much as Herb Kohler would give his left arm for an Open, the PGA's offering of two PGAs and the Ryder Cup was too much to pass up.

Even better: He got three PGAs. 2004, 2010, 2015.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Phil McDade

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »
Howard:

He landed the first one in 2004, then was pursuing the idea of a US Open at WStraits when the PGA offered two more PGA majors and the Ryder Cup. I still think Herbie would love to land a US Open at WStraits, but Erin Hills has complicated that for him.

Tom ORourke

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »
What percentage of fans will be from the NYC area? Almost half will be from Europe, a good chunk will be from the rest of the US and the rest of the world. And it only takes a few yahoos to screw up an event so worrying about the NYC fans is probably a waste of time and effort. Plus we can let Poulter have his tasers and that should keep them quiet.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »
Howard:

He landed the first one in 2004, then was pursuing the idea of a US Open at WStraits when the PGA offered two more PGA majors and the Ryder Cup. I still think Herbie would love to land a US Open at WStraits, but Erin Hills has complicated that for him.

Thanks for the background. Makes sense.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 11:50:39 PM »

Does the West Coast work for the Ryder Cup? The problem is that our friends in Europe will want to watch as well (maybe more so). The West Coast is 8-9 hours behind Europe, so it'd be difficult to make the broadcast work. I have to think that plays at least some factor in eliminating the West Coast.

The point was showing a full quote that the PGA would like to bring a PGA and Ryder Cup to the west coast but then they turn around and again give it to an east coast club.

The time difference is easily avoidable by starting the groups in the morning on the west coast instead of afternoon times on the east coast.  Everyone gets to see it.  Not real rocket science.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 12:16:44 AM »

The point was showing a full quote that the PGA would like to bring a PGA and Ryder Cup to the west coast but then they turn around and again give it to an east coast club.

The time difference is easily avoidable by starting the groups in the morning on the west coast instead of afternoon times on the east coast.  Everyone gets to see it.  Not real rocket science.

So when the afternoon matches are finishing up at 5-6pm in CA....what time is it in London?

William_G

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 12:23:53 AM »
Kevin_D no doubt the per capita deal in NY, however these events are about TV

the west coast offers better weather (year round golf anyone) which means predictable telecasts, there just aren't the # of venues that appeals to the powers that be

early tee times for a Ryder Cup can solve the problem for broadcast in Europe

it would be healthier for golf to spread out the geography of events to all time zones and viewing audiences, but sponsor money in NY tips the deal
It's all about the golf!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 03:12:44 AM »
From Phil Young:

The announcement that Bethpage Black will be hosting the 2019 PGA and the 2024 Ryder Cup is wonderful news. I noticed some comments and questions about the relationship between the USGA & Bethpage already and thought that I'd answer them. Kevin D. surmised, "What is far more interesting to me is - has Bethpage taken itself out of the US Open rota?" The answer is an emphatic NO! The USGA took Bethpage out of it and it was only after the relationship had been cut off that Bethpage took the call from the PGA. I have absolute first-hand knowledge of this as when parties at the USGA learned that they were speaking to both Barclay's and the PGA I was asked to approach Bethpage on their behalf.
      The entire episode will be detailed in a new history of Bethpage that was delayed pending the announcement of the PGA & Ryder Cup at Bethpage. It should be out late next spring.
      If anyone has specific questions feel free to email me at my website, www.goldenageresearch.com and I'll gladly answer them as I may. Phil Young
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Adam_Messix

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 04:50:52 AM »

This is the reason the 1991 Ryder Cup was played at the brand new Kiawah Island Ocean Course.  People forget that it was originally scheduled for the Stadium Course at PGA West.  The move to Kiawah was based solely on TV time issues in Europe.  

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 07:00:23 AM »

Forget it.  Not worth arguing something as silly as this.  

Seriously though, I said that I think it will be a great venue. (And Steelers fans are much more obnoxious than NY fans.)
As a Steeler fan living in NY I'll disagree 100%.
Be the ball

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 08:20:23 AM »

In perspective, Tiger will be almost 50 years old so I doubt he'll be on the team.  

Sorry to deflate all the Tiger watchers.

Tiger will be the captain... at the venue of one of his greatest US Open victories. Epic!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 08:24:34 AM »
Only half the sports fans in NY are wretched.

The Yanks, Jets, Nets and Islander fans are amongst the world's worst  ;)

Carl Rogers

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »
By 203X Rees Jones' grandchild will get the remodeling job for the US Open??

What will be the answer to the 18th hole problem at the Black for 2019 and 2024?  Or is it the opinion that the Black is a great 17 hole course?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back