News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Winner of the GD Green Star Environmental Award:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2013-11/green-star-environmental-awards

Only 42 bunkers. Maintenance budget less than $400,000
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Andrew Buck

A lot of people *VASTLY* underestimate the number of courses with good conditioning and budgets less than $400k.  Heck, there are a good number in good enough shape under $300k and playable for less than that.

For all the talk of what is needed (courses that cost modest amounts to maintain), there are really a lot of them around.  

Chris Oldham

A lot of people *VASTLY* underestimate the number of courses with good conditioning and budgets less than $400k.  Heck, there are a good number in good enough shape under $300k and playable for less than that.

For all the talk of what is needed (courses that cost modest amounts to maintain), there are really a lot of them around.  

Ran across this article today:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20131027/ARTICLES/131029623?p=1&tc=pg

They outsourced maintenance budget for the course is $490,000.  I know that course maintenance can be done cheaply, but what can a course (18 holes) really cut back on to get to a budget of $300k or less?  Mowing, fertilizing, green maintenance, care of bunkers, etc. all seem difficult to cut back on and would constitute the majority of a maintenance budget. It seems when I talk to friends on greens committees or who own courses, that the $400k figure comes up a lot.  I don't doubt that it can be done more cheaply, but where do you pare back course maintenance and get to the $300k figure?

I play Harrison Bay fairly frequently and can attest that they do have really improved the course over the past few years, but I can't see where they could cut back on any further on maintenance to save more money and still have a playable course.

Steve Kline

Re: Ron Whitten profiles Bear Trace@ Harrison Bay(Nicklaus) in Harrison, TN
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:23:25 AM »
Electric mowers and such must not require much electricity. I installed a solar panel at my office and it hardly made a dent in our electricity use. The only reason we put it in was the state of Ohio was giving grants to install them. The state paid $300,000 to install. The pay back period will be about 100 years.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
The state paid $300,000 to install. The pay back period will be about 100 years.

Well, Ohio must have improved its performance since I moved.  I remember that the county I worked for in the mid 1970s got an unexpected grant near the end of the fiscal year (my boss and I were called to the state offices, the federal government had some money that was left-over/uncommitted and had to be spent or the next year's allocation to the state would be a percentage increase on the lower base) with the only string attached being that it had to be used immediately.  The amount to the county was "only" in the six figures, but that bought a bunch of IBM Selectric typewriters which, I heard after I left Ohio, were mostly un-cratered and eventually sold for near salvage value.

The 100 years payback period is also much better than my own investments in golf lessons and modern technology, both which remain in the red (thanks to Chip Royce at the Dixie Cup, I have sunk more money in a used Titleist D3 driver similar to his which promises to reverse this trend).

I talk to a lot of course managers, superintendents, and green committee members.  In my part of the country, the Southwest, $300k might get you six months in a good year.  Of course, as noted in the Gainsville article, "it all depends" on what allocations and items are included in the maintenance budget.  Some courses get free water; some can outsource instead of using union labor or expensive government employees; some have customers whose expectations are less demanding than others.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »

Ran across this article today:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20131027/ARTICLES/131029623?p=1&tc=pg

They outsourced maintenance budget for the course is $490,000.  I know that course maintenance can be done cheaply, but what can a course (18 holes) really cut back on to get to a budget of $300k or less?  Mowing, fertilizing, green maintenance, care of bunkers, etc. all seem difficult to cut back on and would constitute the majority of a maintenance budget. It seems when I talk to friends on greens committees or who own courses, that the $400k figure comes up a lot.  I don't doubt that it can be done more cheaply, but where do you pare back course maintenance and get to the $300k figure?

I play Harrison Bay fairly frequently and can attest that they do have really improved the course over the past few years, but I can't see where they could cut back on any further on maintenance to save more money and still have a playable course.

To be honest, I'm not familiar with southern courses budgets, grasses, etc.  I would suspect that it is impossible to have "decent" conditions in a 12 month climate for under the $300k number.  A lot easier when you really only have a full staff for 5 - 6 months, and can cut back on chemicals and mowing for a couple more with a near complete shutdown for a few.  

In Illinois you can do it without to much impact to greens, fairways and tees.  Granted, you will likely leave yourself open to "loosing fairways" about once a decade if the weather doesn't cooperate and you don't add to chemical budget.  Water supply is also a big variable.  Most courses in our area pump water from an existing waterway, or have wells that provide enough.  In the drought year, that doesn't work and you can't truck in water on that budget.  Obviously, you can also spend 5X that amount.    
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:35:37 AM by Andrew Buck »

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »
 8) seem to remember playing a Bear Trace course in TN a long time ago in the spring and they wanted us to drive carts on the fairways and stay out of the rough as much as possible… first time I'd ever heard that approach..  does that practice really help reduce costs?  … 400 gallons of gas?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:14:20 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
Steve, that is standard practice with zoysia fairways. We have a lot of courses in the mid south which have the same policy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back