News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Ferrell

Colorado Golf Club - pre Solheim pics
« on: August 08, 2013, 04:37:41 PM »
The course is looking great.  Now if we can get some of that August sun and a little dry heat to bake everything to perfection, we'll be good to go.  Larry Lambrecht was out last night.  Here are a few shots (thanks, Larry!).

Number 2: Par-3 - 154 yards.  Green inspiration courtesy of Prairie Dunes' second hole.

Number 3:  Par-4 - 428 yards. Great transition hole from the ponderosa pine forest, over the dry bed of Kinney Creek, to a bluff of a green that marks the start of the meadow holes.

Number 9:  Par-4 - 431 yards.  Great hole.  Two shots here.  The first is from the TV tower behind the hole.

From a hillock on the left side of the fairway.  We are ready!  Note the first tee grandstand rising in the back left of the photo.

Some interesting decisions by LPGA on hazard lines and such, but it's their deal.  In terms of setup, they accepted our proposed (and Meg's favored) "as the members play it" meld, which features just four-six feet of 2-inch rough between fairway and native.  No primary rough with step cuts anywhere on the course.  Gone are the unsightly mowing lines of the 2010 Senior PGA.  Single stripe looks MUCH better and is much more integrated with the surrounding native.  Green speeds will likely be 11.5 - 11.8.  The official yardage is 7,066.

27+ hours of coverage on TGC.  

Garland Bayley

Re: Colorado Golf Club - pre Solheim pics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
Thanks for the pics Tom.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
And the one you were ALL waiting for - a shot of Michelle Wie's rack (clothing rack, c'mon!)...

Peter Le

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:27:25 PM »
tom, wonderful pictures of the course set against the front range! the colorado sun should come out soon enough...
PL

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
Beautiful! I can't wait to visit CGC.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »
Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

My dad is going to be volunteering working some scoreboards for the SC, he was out there for the Sr PGA as well. I was hoping to go back and attend the event, but can't get the time off. Should be lots of fun.

David Davis

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
I just had the pleasure of paying a visit to CGC and it's a fantastic course and club as well. I really enjoyed it even though we didn't get to finish to do sudden storm passing through that caused us to run out of light. We did go back out and play a few more holes and tour the rest of them. I think it's a must play if you are headed out to the 5th Major and works out perfect to combine with an early morning 18 on the Doak course at Dismal after a short drive. 18 there will freshen you up for your red eye home (if you are going east that is).

I'd like to see the conditioning a little faster and firmer given the climate but that would be my only constructive comment really. A lot of excellent holes on the course.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
The place looks phenomenal!  Can't wait for the Solheim Cup.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:43:10 PM »
I just had the pleasure of paying a visit to CGC and it's a fantastic course and club as well. I really enjoyed it even though we didn't get to finish to do sudden storm passing through that caused us to run out of light. We did go back out and play a few more holes and tour the rest of them. I think it's a must play if you are headed out to the 5th Major and works out perfect to combine with an early morning 18 on the Doak course at Dismal after a short drive. 18 there will freshen you up for your red eye home (if you are going east that is).

I'd like to see the conditioning a little faster and firmer given the climate but that would be my only constructive comment really. A lot of excellent holes on the course.

David,

I was just up there this Friday with our good friend and the conditions were really great. Much more firm than when we were there. The course was playing so great, greens firm and fast even after a big storm! If this rain will calm down for a few days, the course would be able to dry out and get REALLY firm. It will make for a great tournament if that happens. If we get rain like this during the afternoons, then there is going to be a lot of rain delays. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Mac Plumart

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:54:04 AM »
Thanks for posting, Tom.
The first photo is a beautiful shot....kudos to Larry!
Good luck with the event....have fun!!
Tom
the pres

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 01:26:57 PM »
Wow.  Those are photos?!?  They look like drawings/paintings to me.  Guess I need to get stronger reading glasses. 

Doug Wright

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
I've seen some Solheim previews on HDTV today - it looks like the closest thing to a Heathland course that I've seen in America - anyone see Hankley common in this course? Watching Pressel, Creamer and Wie play this gem this weekend will be a lot of fun ;)

Brian, the Heathland description seems pretty accurate. No gorse, but a lot of scrub oak.

PS Two days before the event, but I'm not hearing a lot of "buzz" about the Solheim Cup here in Denver. Maybe it's just my little part of the world. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope people show up and it is a great event.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »
Me too, Doug.  I am looking forward to this and hope it is a grand slam home run!

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »
Brian, the Heathland description seems pretty accurate. No gorse, but a lot of scrub oak.

PS Two days before the event, but I'm not hearing a lot of "buzz" about the Solheim Cup here in Denver. Maybe it's just my little part of the world. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope people show up and it is a great event.

We had 12,000 fans here on TUESDAY.  Yesterday in the press tent, all the girls could talk about were the practice round crowds and how loud and raucous they were.

We're going to have NO PROBLEM with attendance at this event - although we'd love to have as many locals as possible.  I was on 9News this morning - they've got a live remote with two of their top talents - promoting and did a 1/2 inning during Saturday night's Rockies game.

Certainly there are some in Denver who think pre-season Broncos stuff is bigger, but there's plenty of buzz down here.

Doug Wright

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 10:47:50 AM »

We had 12,000 fans here on TUESDAY.  Yesterday in the press tent, all the girls could talk about were the practice round crowds and how loud and raucous they were.

We're going to have NO PROBLEM with attendance at this event - although we'd love to have as many locals as possible.  I was on 9News this morning - they've got a live remote with two of their top talents - promoting and did a 1/2 inning during Saturday night's Rockies game.

Certainly there are some in Denver who think pre-season Broncos stuff is bigger, but there's plenty of buzz down here.

Glad to hear it Tom. I'm planning to be out there with my daughter tomorrow morning, and I hope it goes well for you and CGC.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:59:43 AM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »
I've seen some Solheim previews on HDTV today - it looks like the closest thing to a Heathland course that I've seen in America - anyone see Hankley common in this course? Watching Pressel, Creamer and Wie play this gem this weekend will be a lot of fun ;)

I've not been to CGC but based on those of Bill's courses I have played I suspect its greens are a bit more contoured than Hankley's!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
Best of luck with the event.  The Solheim Cup at Interlachen is my favorite golf event I have ever attended.  Walking the course to follow a match with the smaller crowds in the event is a very enjoyable spectator experience. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 06:54:37 PM »
Tomorrow morning this bad boy is on tv!!

I'm excited for the competition, but also to see the course again on tv.  It looked great when the Seniors played it a few years back, but I've got a feeling it is going to be even better this time.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 10:05:36 AM »
Hearing that the course is a not very spectator friendly ?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
Did Pettersen/Recari have an albatross on #2?
That's what LPGA scoring has down for them.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
Did Pettersen/Recari have an albatross on #2?
That's what LPGA scoring has down for them.

LPGA has incorrect par numbers listed for the holes. #2 is a short par 3.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 02:39:45 PM »
Course was designed to for awesome golf - spectators have to be in shape and get after it!

Set a single-day merch sales record yesterday for any women's golf event - and it was a practice round!

Great crowds.  Euros are playing great golf right now.  I think they are more relaxed and having more fun.  Afternoon should be interesting.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »
Tom,

Are you watching the television coverage or on site?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »
The course looks incredible on tv.  Recording it, so I can watch it over and over.  Turf looks firm, too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back