News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Wellmon

Re: OT: USGA, Fox Sports reach 12-year broadcast deal
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »
Gus Johnson calling Tiger hitting a miraculous shot to win an Open could be exciting.

Or Van Earl Wright  ;D

Joe Bausch

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 01:48:23 PM »
Gus Johnson calling Tiger hitting a miraculous shot to win an Open could be exciting.

;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 03:27:46 PM »
Fox has a year and a half to assemble a golf announcing team. I'm sitting back to see how they handle NASCAR, NFL and the the PGA tour on Sundays.

Did I miss something in this release that indicates Fox has the PGA TOUR?  They have three weeks of golf on their main network from what I interpret, US Open, Women's and Senior and two of those events will have lesser ratings than the golf on NBC or CBS in those respective weeks.  

While this news is certainly a shock and I think the biggest aspect is the timing of the annoucement, I don't think it means that much.  NBC still has tentpole properties and a large stake in golf.  People interested in watching the US Open will maybe struggle to find Fox Sports 1 on Thursday at 11 am in 2015, but it will not affect much in my opinion.  

Just tell them to keep the damn robot graphics out of their US Open coverage.

Sorry, sleep deprived

Michael Blake

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »
I bet Frank Caliendo is already working on impressions.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »
Sounds like Fox put together a ridiculous bid of $70+ million/year that likely blew NBC/ESPN out of the water:

"And Fox is paying a steep price of entry: at least double NBC’s and ESPN’s combined annual $37 million rights fee, according to two people briefed on the contract."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/sports/golf/adding-golf-to-its-lineup-fox-sports-acquires-rights-to-united-states-open.html

While the timing of this was likely payback for the PGA having the temerity for disagreeing on the anchored putter, it's not the first time the USGA has made news during the PGA Championship. In 2008, it announced changes to the grooves rule during the PGA.

I really  want to believe that the USGA isn't that much of an a-hole and the timing is due to a possible leak on the story that forced the USGA to pull the trigger on the announcement. At least that's what one's to think in reading this quote from USGA's PR guy Joe Goode:

“Given the very nature of major media and broadcast deals, they have a way of taking on a life of their own,” Goode said in an email. “Rest assured, it was not our intent and it is not our style to disrupt a partner’s event.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/us-open-to-leave-nbc-for-fox-sports-starting-in-2015/2013/08/07/187768ce-ffc3-11e2-8294-0ee5075b840d_print.html
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:32:15 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »
Did anyone hear Rich Lerner's diatribe at the end of "Live at" last night.  He was pretty bitter.  

Lerner was miffed, as many at Oak Hill were, that the USGA announced this the night before the PGA Championship. Here's what he said: "While it's big business news, the decision by a major golf organization to announce this on the eve of a championship conducted by another major golf organization is a monumental misstep of bad timing and poor judgment. The prevailing sentiment by the assembled golfing world here in Rochester is one of disbelief because golf's major ruling bodies have always respected each other’s big events, and adhered to an unwritten agreement to not overshadow one another. It's unfortunate that after the very public and sometimes bitter battle these two organizations had this year over the anchored putter – and the PGA of America's respectful handling of the defeat – the USGA could not have returned the favor. The final major of the year gets underway tomorrow. Tiger tees off at 8:35 a.m. ET… and we can't wait.”

While the timing of this was likely payback for the PGA having the temerity for disagreeing on the anchored putter, it's not the first time the USGA has made news during the PGA Championship. In 2008, it announced changes to the grooves rule during the PGA.

My feeling towards Lerner's comments...

Sour grapes.  I don't feel the USGA needs to worry about the PGA of America in regards to when they announce something.  The PGA of America (backed by the golf industry, including the Golf Channel) chose to make a HUGE stink over a small rules decision that will affect a limited amount of golfers and is ultimately good for the game. NBC/TGC was more concerned with supporting the position of those that place ads on their channels, instead of the USGA.  Fair enough, but not having the US Open is a major loss for NBC /TGC.  

I for one, have been "miffed" at the PGA and the Golf Channel since the USGA announced their proposal to ban the anchored stroke. The Golf Channel did a HORRIBLE job of covering the topic and held a biased position.  I would go as far as to say that the Golf Channel actively lobbied against the ban.  Personally, I don't think the Golf Channel should be in the business of trying to influence rule making. The same goes for the PGA of America.  Any organization that stands to benefit financially from decisions shouldn't be involved in the process.  Making rules and hosting national championships is what the USGA does.  I'm not suggesting the USGA is infallible, but I felt the PGA and NBC/TGC overreached their respective responsibility to the game.

Jeff F.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:57:13 PM by Jeff Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Phil McDade

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 07:34:04 PM »
Personally, I don't think the Golf Channel should be in the business of trying to influence rule making. The same goes for the PGA of America.  Any organization that stands to benefit financially from decisions shouldn't be involved in the process.  Making rules and hosting national championships is what the USGA does.  I'm not suggesting the USGA is infallible, but I felt the PGA and NBC/TGC overreached their respective responsibility to the game.

Jeff F.
[/quote]

Jeff:

This makes little sense. The PGA of America's most visible and valuable asset -- the one that brings in the money -- is the PGA Tour. And the PGA Tour is comprised of nothing but players. Presumably a ban on anchoring will hurt some PGA Tour players, but won't their (possible) demise result in the increased fortunes of other players who have never anchored their putters? If Keegan Bradley's half the player he was post-ban, someone's going to take his place, right?

The PGA and its Tour are well within their rights to advocate for changes, or not, when it comes to the rules of the game. Similarly, if Keegan can't convince (or chooses not to) his fellow players to advocate for anchoring, that's his problem with the Tour's player's advisory board, not his stance on anchoring.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 08:31:34 PM »
Personally, I don't think the Golf Channel should be in the business of trying to influence rule making. The same goes for the PGA of America.  Any organization that stands to benefit financially from decisions shouldn't be involved in the process.  Making rules and hosting national championships is what the USGA does.  I'm not suggesting the USGA is infallible, but I felt the PGA and NBC/TGC overreached their respective responsibility to the game.

Jeff F.

Jeff:

This makes little sense. The PGA of America's most visible and valuable asset -- the one that brings in the money -- is the PGA Tour. And the PGA Tour is comprised of nothing but players. Presumably a ban on anchoring will hurt some PGA Tour players, but won't their (possible) demise result in the increased fortunes of other players who have never anchored their putters? If Keegan Bradley's half the player he was post-ban, someone's going to take his place, right?

The PGA and its Tour are well within their rights to advocate for changes, or not, when it comes to the rules of the game. Similarly, if Keegan can't convince (or chooses not to) his fellow players to advocate for anchoring, that's his problem with the Tour's player's advisory board, not his stance on anchoring.
[/quote]

Huh?  The PGA of America and the PGA Tour have been separate entities for roughly 50 years. The PGA Tour is not an "asset" of the PGA of America. The PGA of America is the organization comprised of club pros. They should stick to teaching and folding shirts, not making rules.  As a former shirt folder myself, I think it's ridiculous for the PGA of America to flex its muscles over an anchoring ban.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 08:35:53 PM »
Jeff,

Feel free to provide examples of Golf Channel trying to influence the debate for its financial benefit. As I recall, Golf Channel televised the USGA's statement from GC headquarters in Orlando.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 09:02:26 PM »
Jeff,

Feel free to provide examples of Golf Channel trying to influence the debate for its financial benefit. As I recall, Golf Channel televised the USGA's statement from GC headquarters in Orlando.

Ok, since we are going to get lawyerly about this, let me "rephrase". It appears there is a correlation, allegedly. Allowing the USGA to announce it at their headquarters doesn't absolve them from being against the ban. I can't name one Golf Channel "expert", "announcer", or "commentator" that agrees with the ban. Can you?  How is that possible considering over half the golfing world agreed with the USGA's decision?  The Golf Channel is in the business of making money off the game and shockingly decided (through their "expert" analysts) that the ban on anchoring was "bad" for the game (allegedly).  Prove that they were balanced in their opinions and presentation. Simply giving Mike Davis a segment to defend the decision doesn't equate to unbiased reporting.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:05:47 PM by Jeff Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »
I haven't the foggiest idea who was for it or against it at GC. Nor do I care if they took a side at all, and if so, which side. I would think that putter companies will advertise on GC whether they are selling short or long putters. I just don't see your argument, and, rather than start typing in green, will let it go at that.

And yes, the PGA of America has a right to a different opinion, as does the PGA Tour. The Tour should write its own rules, period.

But back to the topic: Fox is part of News Corp. So is Sky Sport, which televises plenty of golf, including the Ryder Cup. Watched plenty of Sky and NBC side-by-side at last year's Ryder Cup. Saw their expansive (and likely expensive) setup, including a 3D broadcast. I can see Fox using Sky to provide the technical backing, if not some of the commentators (say, Butch Harmon and Monty) for the three Opens, and using a smaller crew for the amateur tournaments. This might not be the on-the-air learning process it appears at first blush.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »
I haven't the foggiest idea who was for it or against it at GC. Nor do I care if they took a side at all, and if so, which side. I would think that putter companies will advertise on GC whether they are selling short or long putters. I just don't see your argument, and, rather than start typing in green, will let it go at that.

And yes, the PGA of America has a right to a different opinion, as does the PGA Tour. The Tour should write its own rules, period.

But back to the topic: Fox is part of News Corp. So is Sky Sport, which televises plenty of golf, including the Ryder Cup. Watched plenty of Sky and NBC side-by-side at last year's Ryder Cup. Saw their expansive (and likely expensive) setup, including a 3D broadcast. I can see Fox using Sky to provide the technical backing, if not some of the commentators (say, Butch Harmon and Monty) for the three Opens, and using a smaller crew for the amateur tournaments. This might not be the on-the-air learning process it appears at first blush.

I never said the PGA of America doesn't have the right to an opinion. I just think they shouldn't be in the rule making business and should keep their focus on things they're experts at. Namely teaching, merchandising, and managing golf facilities.

As for the PGA Tour making their own rules, they're certainly within their right to do so. The concept of professional players making the rules is laughable, IMO. It's like letting the inmates run the prison.

As for the Golf Channel, I most definitely feel (whether it was a written decree or an unwritten expectation) that their "analysts" would support or remain silent re: opposing the anchoring ban.

I look forward to Fox covering USGA events. Hopefully, they do a better job than their predecessors.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Mike_Young

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »
I think the USGA is not used to not having their way and they see a lot of writing on the walls.  
Perhaps with the bidding for the next few years of the US Open etc on the line the GC was careful but now Rich can say a little more.  As they say" don't piss off someone that buys ink by the barrel".  The GC has the potential to be the most powerful voice in golf.  They have the largest golf related audience in the world on a daily basis.  And they know it and they aren't stupid.  Meanwhile the USGA remains aloof and considers much of golf beneath them.  IMHO they are in trouble...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Brian Colbert

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 10:22:07 PM »
If it gets that fat slob Chris Berman off my television, I am in favor.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
Looks like the USGA had about $1.2 billion reasons to sign a deal with Fox Sports.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/8/8/is-fox-sports-really-paying-100-million-a-year-in-usga-deal.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

ChipRoyce

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »
Pretty smart move; one of CBS' problems is the competition between Golf and Football in the early fall.

Fox got a few select golf events to weave into their summer programming without having to take on a package that could compete with football.

Mike_Young

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »

Funny thing is, I'd expected a similar bid on the entire USGA schedule from NBC / Golf Channel, and perhaps that bid was made, but Fox won the day. Can't wait to see the financials leak out. There has to be some serious money headed into the USGA piggy bank.

Two things:  Lerner was told what to say...and word is the USGA did not have the courtesy to let the other channels that were bidding know they had chosen Fox.  Perhaps Fox never had a chance to mention the putter....
The NCAA tourney will become bigger than the US am.... ;)  They made a stupid move....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:57:08 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill Gayne

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2013, 08:00:27 AM »
Does FOX and SKY still have common ownership and why wouldn't there be synergies between the two for the broadcasting of golf in Europe and U.S.? Is this leading to the U.S. broadcast of the Euro PGA tour to move from the NBC/Comcast owned golf channel to the new sports network that FOX is building in the U.S.?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
We will watch it on whatever channel broadcasts it. And then we will whine about the broadcasters.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JC Jones

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2013, 11:30:53 AM »
We will watch it on whatever channel broadcasts it. And then we will whine about the broadcasters.

Now Judge, there is no need for honest self assessment at this juncture.  We are in full "we can fix all problems in golf" mode with this thread.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2013, 04:17:54 PM »
Mike, when I see Rich at the BMW (presuming he is there), I'll ask him if he was told what to say. Should I drop your name?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 05:45:56 PM »
I stand corrected. The timing was intentional and real bush league.

"USGA Had Long Planned Contract Announcement During PGA Week."
http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/8/9/usga-had-long-planned-contract-announcement-during-pga-week.html

David Kelly

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »
The GC has the potential to be the most powerful voice in golf.  They have the largest golf related audience in the world on a daily basis. And they know it and they aren't stupid.  
I guess its just their programming that is stupid.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

mike_beene

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »
This may be silly,but the first thing I thought of is how much I like the music NBC uses for USGA events.I assume that will change.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
Goodbye, Johnny.

Hello, Greg Norman?

http://golfdig.st/15YYQHQ

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back