News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

USGA, Fox Sports reach 12-year broadcast deal
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:56:32 PM »
This came out of left field.  A big win for the new Fox Sports 1. Crushing for NBC. No more Johnny and Chris Berman at the US Open...

Fox Sports and the USGA announced a 12-year agreement that will run through 2026, bringing the U.S. Open, U.S. Women's Open and U.S. Senior Open to the largest sports network since 1997. The deal is set to begin in 2015.

http://www.usga.org/news/2013/August/USGA-and-Fox-Sports-Agree-to-Partnership/
http://golfweek.com/news/2013/aug/07/usga-fox-sports-reach-12-year-multi-media-deal/
http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887323977304578654511670494852?mg=reno64-wsj
http://bddy.me/15OS33h
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:55:39 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Phil McDade

Re: OT: USGA, Fox Sports reach 12-year broadcast deal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:03:53 PM »
Does NBC have any reason anymore to be in the business of sports broadcasting?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »
Quicker than Pat Craig on a new member. Well did, King of the Links!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

David Kelly

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
Well, they have the #1 rated television show in the country, which happens to be a sports broadcast.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
As bad as Berman can be, Fox has Michael Strahan and Terry Bradshaw.

I'm worried who they might drag out for golf broadcasts.

BHoover

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »

They have the NFL, the NHL and the Ryder Cup, not to mention the Olympics.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
Currently, FOX Sports 1 has very limited carriage agreements in place.  Not going to be on DirecTV or many cable outlets, at least at channel launch.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »
Nice timing.  Stay classy USGA.

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »

There's an old quote from one of the network bigwigs.  Probably 10-15 years ago.  I can't remember which network or who said it, but he was advising his department and said something like, "we're Number 2 in sports.  The problem is we're trying to be Number 3."

As much as I (we) love sports, it just isn't essential to land viewers and attract advertisers.  Cable TV and sports are a match made in heaven.  Narrow-casting rather than broadcasting is clearly the better fit.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 12:09:51 AM »
Fox has a year and a half to assemble a golf announcing team.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:28:46 PM by Pete_Pittock »

William_G

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 12:42:41 AM »
I could see EA doing some on course reporting   8)
It's all about the golf!

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 01:55:40 AM »
This is the biggest surprise in sports television since Fox landed the NFC, and bigger in some ways. Fox bid high on pro football because it was trying to get affiliates in every city, and it succeeded, even stealing some stations from CBS and ABC. That put Fox on the map.

This gives Fox a sport it hasn't had – discounting some celebrity golf telecasts in the late 1990s – and gives Fox Sports 1 and 2 (which debut Aug. 17) plenty of hours of live programming. Between Fox, FS1 and FS2, there will be 10 more hours of the Opens, and 46 more (up from 30 to 76) of the amateur tournaments, likely all on cable.

What makes it bigger than the NFC deal? Aside from the hours to fill the new cable networks, Fox now is a two-sport network all summer. Golf joins baseball about when the NASCAR season shifts to NBC, and it's a better demographic than stock-car racing. So even as NBC basked in heisting the second half of NASCAR's year from ESPN/ABC last week, now Fox does it to NBC.

Funny thing is, I'd expected a similar bid on the entire USGA schedule from NBC / Golf Channel, and perhaps that bid was made, but Fox won the day. Can't wait to see the financials leak out. There has to be some serious money headed into the USGA piggy bank.

As to what NBC has left: the top NFL package, the NHL, the Players, most of the FedEx Cup playoffs, the Ryder Cup, the French Open, Notre Dame football, the Tour de France, NASCAR's second half returning, and that five-ring circus, the Olympic Games. The peacock will sleep well tonight, I'm sure.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 06:47:23 AM »
Given the mediocrity of some of the current golf broadcasts and broadcasters I think they certainly have an opportunity to raise the bar.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 07:05:36 AM »
This is fantastic news. I am ecstatic I don't have to listen to Johnny Miller talk about his 63 during an Open broadcast after next year!!
H.P.S.

Greg Holland

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 08:06:57 AM »
Did anyone hear Rich Lerner's diatribe at the end of "Live at" last night.  He was pretty bitter. 

Scott_Park

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »
Lerner was terrible.  He went on for at least 45 sec admonishing the USGA about the TV deal and without saying what he was specifically talking about.  It sure sounded more like him just liking the sound of his voice.  

If I remember correctly, his indignation came on the heels of two great and insightful segments on Sean Foley and comments by Colin Montgomery.  At that point, I was thinking that Lerner doesnt deserve to be on the same set as Brandel, Frank and Colin.

btw- did anyone not particualrly care for Monty as a player, but think he is quite good as a TV personality?

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 09:44:34 AM »
Scott,

I think Monty is quite good on television. I enjoy listening to him. He doesn't feel like he needs to scream or say silly things to get attention.

One good thing about this USGA move is that we will only have to listen to Chris Berman do play-by-play of the US Open one more time.

Michael Ryan

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »
Fox has a year and a half to assemble a golf announcing team. I'm sitting back to see how they handle NASCAR, NFL and the the PGA tour on Sundays.

Did I miss something in this release that indicates Fox has the PGA TOUR?  They have three weeks of golf on their main network from what I interpret, US Open, Women's and Senior and two of those events will have lesser ratings than the golf on NBC or CBS in those respective weeks.  

While this news is certainly a shock and I think the biggest aspect is the timing of the annoucement, I don't think it means that much.  NBC still has tentpole properties and a large stake in golf.  People interested in watching the US Open will maybe struggle to find Fox Sports 1 on Thursday at 11 am in 2015, but it will not affect much in my opinion.  

Just tell them to keep the damn robot graphics out of their US Open coverage.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:08:13 AM by Michael Ryan »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
This is the biggest surprise in sports television since Fox landed the NFC, and bigger in some ways. Fox bid high on pro football because it was trying to get affiliates in every city, and it succeeded, even stealing some stations from CBS and ABC. That put Fox on the map.
You're blowing this way out of proportion - the Mens Open is a big event but the others are pretty minor draws when it comes to TV audiences.  I imagine that Fox would prefer to only show the Mens Open on the main network but they probably also have to give some time to the Women and Seniors.

Maybe the Senior will become a more important event in the future as Mickelson will be eligible for the Sr Open in 7 years and Tiger will be eligible to play in the last two years of the deal, assuming that it goes from 2015-2026.

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 11:24:54 AM »
They are clamoring for content, and all those championships brings the ability to fill hours, regardless of ratings the hours need to be filled.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »
NBC Sports also has English Premier League football/soccer:

http://www.nbcsports.com/premierleague
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

BHoover

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
NBC Sports also has English Premier League football/soccer:

http://www.nbcsports.com/premierleague

I remember when Fox first broadcast the Champions League final a couple years ago.  They had Terry, Howie and Michael Strahan on the pre-game explaining the difference between football and football.  Give me a break...

::) ::) ::)

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »
Did anyone hear Rich Lerner's diatribe at the end of "Live at" last night.  He was pretty bitter. 

Lerner was miffed, as many at Oak Hill were, that the USGA announced this the night before the PGA Championship. Here's what he said: "While it's big business news, the decision by a major golf organization to announce this on the eve of a championship conducted by another major golf organization is a monumental misstep of bad timing and poor judgment. The prevailing sentiment by the assembled golfing world here in Rochester is one of disbelief because golf's major ruling bodies have always respected each other’s big events, and adhered to an unwritten agreement to not overshadow one another. It's unfortunate that after the very public and sometimes bitter battle these two organizations had this year over the anchored putter – and the PGA of America's respectful handling of the defeat – the USGA could not have returned the favor. The final major of the year gets underway tomorrow. Tiger tees off at 8:35 a.m. ET… and we can't wait.”

While the timing of this was likely payback for the PGA having the temerity for disagreeing on the anchored putter, it's not the first time the USGA has made news during the PGA Championship. In 2008, it announced changes to the grooves rule during the PGA.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Greg Tallman

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 01:40:41 PM »
Gus Johnson calling Tiger hitting a miraculous shot to win an Open could be exciting.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »
Brandel Chamblee would be my choice in the tower on 18- he's brutally honest and has statistics to back up his comments- unlike the other talking heads. Also Judy Rankin in the fairway- hell how about putting Ben Wright back to work in the tower on 17? ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back