News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Prepaid SIM for Cabot Links?
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation for a prepaid SIM that will provide data and local phone service while on Cape Breton Island? I have an unlocked old iphone 3G that I use when I travel.

The best deal I can find online is a SIM from Seven-Eleven (yes, The 7-11!) that offers unlimited internet browsing and local "anytime" calls for about $30. It seems their SIM uses the Rogers network.

The big question, however... is there cell coverage in Inverness and the surrounding area? What is your first hand experience?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Greg Beaulieu

Re: Prepaid SIM for Cabot Links?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »
According to the map on the Rogers site, Inverness is in a dead zone.

http://www.rogers.com/business/on/en/smallbusiness/rogers/coverage/

Looks like you need a service that uses the Bell network:

http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Coverage_map

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:26:25 PM »
According to the map on the Rogers site, Inverness is in a dead zone.

http://www.rogers.com/business/on/en/smallbusiness/rogers/coverage/

Looks like you need a service that uses the Bell network:

http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Coverage_map

I called AT&T and spent $30 on an international calling plan for Canada. 

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
There are three main cell carriers in Canada:  Rogers, Bell and Telus.  Bell and Telus share the same network.  There is no coverage from Rogers on the western half of the island once you leave Port Hawkesbury so that isn't an option.  But I do believe the other guys have pretty full coverage on the highways on the island.  So if you get a SIM card get one from Bell, Telus or there lower cost Koodo , Solo or Virgin.  

My best advice would be to minimize cell phone usage and just use wifi.  Cabot Links has good wifi so you can use that with stuff like Skype or Facetime.  The other option is to sign up for some sort of North American roaming plan with your US based carrier.

Funnily enough Canadians who have a Rogers phone get no service as there doesn't seem to be a way to do domestic roaming in an area not covered by your provider.  So I have always been without service when on Cape Breton, other than via wifi.

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:18:58 PM »
If you need to be connected all the time, I'm not the one to ask.  If you're going to stay onsite at Cabot Links, though, and you only need to make outgoing calls, I'd check with them.  When we stayed there earlier this summer, they offered free wifi and free international phone service.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »
Hey Buddy

I'd be more concerned as to whether your GPS system performs like it did on the continenet
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 07:07:08 AM »
Michael,
Your cell will work and international plans are fairly cheap to add. Failing that, we do offer free wifi and long distance, so we have you covered.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Prepaid SIM for Cabot Links? New
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 01:36:26 PM »
Michael,
Your cell will work
Unlike Canadians carrying a Rogers cell phone.

@Ben - You have to get Nadir Mohamed and/or his replacement as the new CEO of Rogers to come to Cabot to make them realize that they have to expand their network from Port H up to Inverness.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:40:13 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back