News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Baltusrol: A National Historic Landmark?
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »
Good article by Lisa Mickey in the NY Times as Baltusrol attempts to join Merion, Oakmont and Pinehurst as a National Historic Landmark:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/29/sports/golf/baltusrol-is-a-landmark-course-in-almost-every-sense.html?ref=sports&_r=0
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Baltusrol: A National Historic Landmark?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:45:12 PM »
Steve,

It would be interesting to see the details of the benefits of becoming an historic site

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:20:19 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:45:18 AM »
This is important. The idea has been discussed here many times.

Worth keeping an eye on developments. There are all sorts of ramifications.

Bob

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »
I know this is going to seem heretical to many of my friends over in Springfield (and likely spur some more hating), but I simply don't understand what exactly is so special about Baltusrol that it deserves NHL status....and thus the benefits that inure from such a designation??

It lacks the uniqueness, charm, and history of Merion, the regional importance and penal design of Oakmont, and the relevance of Pinehurst or Augusta. I'd argue that Chicago Golf Club or Somerset Hills deserve more protection for their property than Baltusrol. As a "prized design of Tillinghast," it pales beside the likes of Quaker Ridge, Bethpage Black and SFGC. So much so especially post restorative efforts of the Jones family.

Perhaps it's clubhouse and grounds have rightly earned it's NJ Register of Historic Places designation and I'd even concede the building deserves it's listing on the National Register of Historic Places, but the course and club in it's totality hardly belongs in the company of iconic sites like The White House, Flatiron Building and Fenway Park. After all, if they could delist Soldier Field for it's modern alterations, what does it say that they might preserve what has clearly shifted so much over the years?
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back