News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: BUDA XII (2014) - Venue suggestions and dates
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2013, 04:20:10 AM »
Ward,

As Ulrich suggests, I think the Mayo trip would be more based around one place rather than a mad dash round the country.

It being only a 3 hour beautiful spin up from Shannon, it isn't that different to most places in Britain regards travel.

But I agree - the British have to want to travel. Tony definitely will, Thomas Dai sent me a nice note to say he'd be in. It's those other regulars that need to make the trip though. No point isolating those that have supported it over the past number of years.

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2013, 04:25:56 AM »
Ally

I don't know if you are referencing me as one of the regular supporters, but please don't feel as though you are isolating me with an Irish Buda.  As I wrote earlier, the idea ticks a lot of boxes and two guys want to organize.  No other idea has any steam.  Seems like a no brainer to me to offer a few dates and see what gives.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mark Pearce

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2013, 04:30:47 AM »
We're having a meet down at Deal this weekend, so the topic of UK participation will be raised.  Already, you can count on three at least, plus likely support from our Irish contingent and local guests.
Ahhh, yes, the Scott Warren reunion weekend.  Gutted I can't be there, have a great time all.

Robin,

You're a sensible man.  Is a 36 hole day at Carne a killer, or just a bit tiring, and therefore likely to require an extra Guiness to recover?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2013, 04:51:58 AM »
Mark

For a sprightly athlete like yourself, 36 holes at Carne, on the first day, with good weather, is definitely doable.  Not sure about the day after though!

Personally, I only want to play the amount of golf per day that will allow me to enjoy playing for three or four consecutive days without discomfort and my limit at Carne is 27.  Each to their own though. 
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Rich Goodale

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2013, 05:44:06 AM »
I think Carne would be a great place for a GCA.com gathering, but I don't think the terrain would allow for a proper BUDA (i.e. Ryder Cup format, 36 holes (4-ball and fourspomes) for 2 days, and 18 (singles) on the third), particularly in September, given the dying light.  Of the suggestions offered above, my strong preference would be for Ganton in June, but if the support for Carne is stronger, so be it.  I'd probably attend a Carne BUDA, but only plan on playing 18 a day.  I walked the 27 five years ago (without clubs and when the new nine was semi-grown in and a Jim Engh project) and it is not for the faint hearted.  I think most BUDA regulars would be knackered even if the event were reduced to 27, 27 and 18, and I doubt that even Mark Pearce could walk 36 twice (certainly if that 36 involved two trips over the back nine and the new nine, each of which drops down several hundred feet to the sea and then asks you to then climb up that hill to get back to the clubhouse).  I also think that trying to drive to Enniscrone for the 3rd day singles is not a good idea.  Actually, now that I think of it, maybe Enniscrone as the BUDA venue (the course is perfect for 36, 36, 18 and even has a very gentle 3rd nine which could be played in the evening by the avid and fit golfers) with pre-and/or post- BUDA visits to see Ally's new 9 could be a great event.

Just my opinion.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2013, 05:56:32 AM »
There only seems to be discussion here of one proposal and one which, for reason I have mentioned and Rich summarises perfectly is not one that sounds like an ideal BUDA.  People are "voting" without any alternatives, so let's chuck this one out there:  a suggestion has been made offline by an eminent GCAer and occasional BUDAite that a couple of days at Ganton, staying in the Greyhound and a day at Flamborough Head might make an excellent BUDA.  As I think Ganton is the finest inland course I have played in the UK I think that is an excellent suggestion and would be happy to make enquiries if there was interest.

How about the other suggestions made in the OP, or any other ideas?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »
How about a Ganton,Notts and Woodhall Spa trio?

James Boon

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2013, 08:54:59 AM »
After missing this years Buda, I'm basically planning to be there next year wherever it might be: Ganton, Ireland, Fra Mauro  :o ;D

Regarding Carne: Is there a significant difference between the 18 holes and the new 9 when it comes to terrain? Is there some way to play 18 holes over the gentle dunes twice in one day (ie 36 holes) and then play the less gentle 9 holes as either a prelude on the day we arrive, or some other such arrangement, which keeps us playing the gentler holes as our 36 hole day?

Cheers,

James

ps One thing against a Carne Buda, especially if Eric Smith comes along will be constant references to...

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2013, 09:00:27 AM »
How about a Ganton,Notts and Woodhall Spa trio?

Michael,

Excellent collection of courses, though far too much travelling between the 3 for a Buda cup. Though if Ganton did become the final choice, I suspect several people would look to play one or both as pre or post Buda?

I would be very happy to arrange a Buda at Notts at some point in the future, and combine with say Sherwood Forest or Beau Desert (though again that is a good hours drive away), but am hoping somebody else sorts out next year...  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »

Regarding Carne: Is there a significant difference between the 18 holes and the new 9 when it comes to terrain? Is there some way to play 18 holes over the gentle dunes twice in one day (ie 36 holes) and then play the less gentle 9 holes as either a prelude on the day we arrive, or some other such arrangement, which keeps us playing the gentler holes as our 36 hole day?

In order of walkability, it is probably existing front nine easiest, new nine in middle and existing back nine hardest.

Suggestion would be along the lines of Friday at Mulranny, two days at Carne (first Hackett 18 followed by new nine, second Composite 18 followed by front nine) and then singles day at Enniscrone.

There are harder courses to walk but certainly the size of the dunes means it's no stroll. There are hills to climb at Carne but at least the golfer is rewarded with each of those climbs.

Eric Smith

« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2013, 10:29:13 AM »
Boony,

Are you out of your Vulcan mind??? Let's not dilly-dally too long. IMO, a Notts BUDA is a supremely tempting one and, if needed, I would be happy to help with the shepherding from over here.

Like you, I'll make every effort to attend next year, no matter the venue, if it is decided to be a late August or September event. I really want to see Ganton, Kington, Notts, Pulborough...anything and everything in England, actually! I also fancy going to Ireland, since I've never been. Having met both Ally and Robin when I met you at Porthcawl, as well as reading the note from Mr. Mangan that Robin posted, I would love to visit their club, whether it is for this event or another. Judging from the photos, the new nine that Ally's designed looks like a lot of fun. As for the dunes there at Khaaaan, well, they really do appear to be spectacular. I'll need to lay off the cider, I suppose..

Mark Pearce

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2013, 10:32:41 AM »
That wasn't cider.  I don't know what the correct term is and I'll happily accept that is was a product made from apples but cider doesn't taste like that or have that effect, except in industrial quantities....

Eric Smith

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34:26 AM »
Antifreeze, maybe? ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2013, 10:41:47 AM »

You have to fit in Tralee somewhere along the way or I will be offended ;)

Since you'll be driving, I'll go wherever you decide we will go. :)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »
Out of interest, I have the following booked for Carne if you wish to go with it:

Saturday 6th September 2014 - From 09.30 - Day rate €60
Sunday 7th September 2014 - From 10.30 - Day rate €60

Main thing here is accommodation because The Talbot will book out quite quickly (only 23 rooms). Preferential rate there is €65 sharing or €75 single occupancy. Broadhaven Bay is about same or maybe a few quid cheaper... Then there are B&B's which will be cheaper again...

Can organise Mulranny & Enniscrone after if there is a green light...

Best flight from UK is to Knock (1hr 30 min drive) or from US is probably Shannon (3hr drive to Carne with Mulranny on way)

The offer is there anyway.... No real urgency...

Brent Hutto

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

The way to a Buda-man's heart is by doing the leg work and offering a known quantity with the basics all laid out ready to go!

David Davis

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
I'm always up for Ireland. I've played all the courses in that area but Carne was great and worth another go for sure, especially with the new 9 so I'd almost certainly be in if it doesn't interfere with my trip to New York where I plan to play everything ha ha.

I missed Enniscrone which would be good and I'd love to visit RCD again on the way home.

I took a really extremely cheap flight from Dublin to Sligo I believe before, cheap was something like 100 USD round trip. Rented a car for very cheap from Sligo which was perfect. It's a short drive, I think i did it in 1 hour something, but I wasn't obeying limits or staying on my side of the road, well, actually I was staying on my side of the road, but that's the wrong side in Ireland.

I'd be in if it was England as long as I don't have to go back to Woodhall Spa again. Not worth the visit in my opinion. I can go to the local driving range and hit the same tee shot 15 times in a row.

Mr. Smith, don't forget you will be combining it with the MANDATORY stop in The Netherlands before and/or after. Just keep that in mind.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Philip Gawith

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2013, 05:22:51 PM »
Bill, I don't think anybody addressed your point about wives/SO's. As far as I am concerned she would be very welcome. You will remember Lou's wife was at Porthcawl, even if she did not play.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »
I think the travelling this year was a bit of a nuisance, but it allowed us to see all the great courses there and that was definitely worth it.

I agree with Ulrich.  For someone coming from the US, it was wonderful (if exhausting) to have the chance to see all of the top courses in the region in a single trip.  The amount of travel and different courses was also influenced by the lack of a "day ticket" approach in Holland.  I have enjoyed all four of the Budas that I participated in, and it's always possible to organize additional golf before or after the main event.  I think that limiting the travel during the event itself makes a lot of sense - being based at Silloth was fantastic.  If it's only a single course, the key is for the course to be very good.

We definitely need to figure out if we can get folks from England to cross a body of water before settling on Carne.  It sounds fine to me, and I like the Aug/Sept time frame better than mid-summer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2013, 08:28:32 PM »
Bill, I don't think anybody addressed your point about wives/SO's. As far as I am concerned she would be very welcome. You will remember Lou's wife was at Porthcawl, even if she did not play.

Kathleen would not be happy if she didn't get to play while we are Buda-ing, so I need to do more work on this.  It won't stop me from going but would be fun to spend a few days with her in Dublin before or after. 

I agree with John that the UK participation at Carne is critical.   The camaraderie means a lot more than the golf course(s). 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2013, 04:41:58 AM »
Agreed Bill, John,

I'd hate to be partially responsible for taking it to Mayo if there are dissenters amongst the ranks... I'm sure they might talk about it at their meet-up this weekend...

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2013, 04:49:18 AM »
This is where we are at with Carne right now.

We have a GB&I Top 50 course who are thrilled that GCA is expressing an interest in bringing the BUDA Cup to Belmullet.  We have a host course who shall welcome us with open arms and who have reserved us prime weekend tee times at a very preferential day rate.  We have the opportunity to spend a couple of days playing an iconic links course, in the company of the designer of its new 9, who is also a regular contributor to this forum.  

Ally has also negotiated a very good room rate at the beautiful Talbot Hotel, on the high street in town and only a five minute drive around the bay from the course.  

Add to this the guarantee of great playing companions and lots of time to relax, drink Guinness and eat good food, after playing as much golf as you want and I don't see what there isn't to love about the set up.  

Oh and of course, we shall be bracketing these two days at Carne with great golf at the enchanting Mulranny and another top notch links at Enniscrone.

But it will only happen if we get enough support, so if you're keen then let us know.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Thomas Dai

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2013, 06:41:33 AM »
A Buda is something I'd like to participate in, irrespective of location, if you'll have me that is!

As an aside, I went to the west of Ireland a month ago so here are a couple of comments about travelling and staying in that most wonderful area.

Firstly, we flew to and from Birmingham (UK) to Knock with Aerlingus and picked up a pre-booked hire from Hertz at Knock Airport. It all went very smoothly, no hassles at all. The quality of the roads in the area are excellent, wide, much better surfaced than in the UK and with significantly less traffic. If you hire a car from Knock Airport just remember there is no petrol station at the airport so you'll need to fill up before returning the car to avoid a possibly hefty fuel re-fill charge from the hire car company.

As we were playing Carne, Enniscrone and County Sligo we didn't stay in Bellmullet itself but chose instead to stay mid-point between all three courses in Balina, at the Downhill Inn, which was very nice and not expensive. This would be to far away to commute for daily golf at Carne but should folk wish to move after Bellmullet a bit further to the east then Balina/the Downhill Inn would be worth considering in terms of where to stay for playing Enniscrone for example.

Should any non or occasional golfers be along on the trip, we passed through Westport, not that far from Mulranny, just having a look around, and it seemed a rather nice 'arty' sort of town, just the kind of place accompanying non-golfers might like to potter around while Balina itself was a real hotspot for salmon fishing. I was advised that Achill Island not far from Mulranny is worth visiting for the cliffs and the seabirds etc, plus there's a 9-hole course at Achill apparently, although I wasn't advised on its quality/playability

BTW, I understand that both Balina and Westport towns are within the Irish railway system, although I've not studied the train timetables.

I hope this is of interest.

All the best.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »
Ally has also negotiated a very good room rate at the beautiful Talbot Hotel, on the high street in town and only a five minute drive around the bay from the course.

Would it also be possible to stay in the Broadhaven Bay Hotel or is that too far away? It has the advantage of an indoor pool and spa, which my possible chauffeur (aka wife) would prefer.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »
Robin & Ally,

I'm almost a cert wherever the BUDA will be, and not having played Carne and Enniscrone, I'd really do my best to get there. The weekend dates are really handy for those with limited holidays left. I'd probably be in Ireland in July/August, but a return in September would be no problem for me.

As was mentioned earlier, it's important that we have a good contingent from both US and UK, as these two groups are the heart and soul of BUDA. I understand the concerns for the US travellers; long flight, jet-lag, long drive to Mayo, etc., but if they arrived a few days before and took it easy by playing here and there on the way down to Mayo, it could work out fine.

Having said that, I don't see how getting to Carne is more difficult from the UK, than say Sweden or Germany. So the UKers have no excuse  ;)

As of now, the Carne/Enniscrone venue is the only concrete suggestion so far, so if there are others willing to organise a BUDA at a different venue, let's hear of them.

PS. I now realise that a Donegal BUDA will never be an option; if you think Carne is difficult to get to, you can add another hour to the time it takes to get to north Donegal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back