News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: BUDA XII (2014) - Venue suggestions and dates
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 07:13:31 AM »
Sean,

Yes, it's a holiday.  It's a golfing holiday.  I don't get many of those and BUDA tends to be my one gig golf break of the year.  On that trip I want to play plenty of golf, drink much wine and beer and talk crap for hours.  Plenty of golf, for me, means 36 holes a day for most of the trip.  I know I'm far from alone in thinking that.  If a course is unsuitable for the majority of BUDAites to play 36 a day then I would question whether it is a good selection as the "home" course for a BUDA.

Mark

Lets put it this way - 27 at Carne will seem like 45 at Liphook - tee hee. Its plenty o' golf.  Besides, the 36 holers can carry on with another 9 if they feel so inclined.  Not sure why it has to be prescripted that 36 is the deal when the facility is a 27 holer.  Seems a weird way to look at it, but you are a lawyer. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Jim Nugent

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »

"It would be a great honour for us at Carne to host the GCA golf competition and we look forward very much to this event coming to this part of the country in the future.

Though I can't play in the event, IMO this is a very strong statement in favor of Carne. 

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
I think the Carne/Enniscrone option could be a great one and see no reason to wait until 2015.

Dublin airport is accessible for both US and UK participants.

The drive from Dublin to Galway is all motorway now, so it doesn't take as long as it used to. Those planning to play before and after BUDA could play Connemara, Westport and then head onto Mulranny and Carne.

An alternative route is Dublin-Sligo where you could stop at Mullingar (Braid design) and then onto Rosses Point/Strandhill and then onto Enniscrone/Carne.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
Mike/Bill

Points well made and the kind of input we need to narrow down the dates.

I have this from Eamon Mangan of Carne Golf Links, with regard to the course hosting a GCA event.

"It would be a great honour for us at Carne to host the GCA golf competition and we look forward very much to this event coming to this part of the country in the future.

My vote for Carne based on that sentiment, and a chance to play with Ally and Robin at their club.  Well done!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »
Where is the Carne Golf Club with relationship to the town of Belmullet (where presumably we would stay)?   I was looking around Belmullet on Google Maps for a golf course, but only found the Belmullet Golf Club.  Who's played there and how does it rate?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
Belmullet Golf Club plays over the Carne Golf Links. Same place.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 09:31:32 AM »
Belmullet Golf Club plays over the Carne Golf Links. Same place.

Aha!  Thanks. 

Is it possible there could be some golfing wives/SOs along on this trip?  I would love to bring along my golfing Irish wife Kathleen. 

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
Askernish and the Machrie, the Hickory event!!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »

You realise it's two flights or a minimum of eleven hours, including two ferry journeys, to get from one to the other? :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jud_T

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 09:39:27 AM »

You realise it's two flights or a minimum of eleven hours, including two ferry journeys, to get from one to the other? :)

In the turn of the century spirit of the event, we can only travel by non-motorized transport... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Niall C

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »
September is a great month to play golf in the UK.  So is June.  BUDA has not always been a September event, certainly it wasn't when it went to Fife.  Dates are never going to suit everybody, September dates have previously been a problem with the Walker Cup, for instance. 

Mark

I haven't been playing nearly enough so I think I'm counted out of the Walker Cup, therefore any time suits me. Hope that helps.

Niall

Steve Kline

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
Mark - in my early to mid 30s I walked 36 at Carne and Enniscrone on back to back days. I always walk and 36 is never a problem. But after those two days I was hurting.  It was the first two days of a seven day golf trip in Ireland. Thank God the rest of the courses were pancakes comparatively.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 04:13:54 PM »
September is a great month to play golf in the UK.  So is June.  BUDA has not always been a September event, certainly it wasn't when it went to Fife.  Dates are never going to suit everybody, September dates have previously been a problem with the Walker Cup, for instance. 

Mark

I haven't been playing nearly enough so I think I'm counted out of the Walker Cup, therefore any time suits me. Hope that helps.

Niall

Walker Cup is in the odd years, so 2014 is not a problem.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 05:59:36 PM »
I cast my vote (if I have one) for a Carne/Enniscrone Buda in late August or early September. I've got lots of Euros remaining from the Dutch Buda and no where to spend them!  ;)

My concern is the participation of the usual UK contingent... we only had two from England attend the Dutch Buda. It was a sad showing. Mark and Conrad valiantly carried the banner, but it was too much for them shoulder alone. Please... don't put them through such a meat grinder in 2014.  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ted Harris

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
Sean,

Yes, it's a holiday.  It's a golfing holiday.  I don't get many of those and BUDA tends to be my one gig golf break of the year.  On that trip I want to play plenty of golf, drink much wine and beer and talk crap for hours.  Plenty of golf, for me, means 36 holes a day for most of the trip.  I know I'm far from alone in thinking that.  If a course is unsuitable for the majority of BUDAites to play 36 a day then I would question whether it is a good selection as the "home" course for a BUDA.

Carne does have powercarts - from what I can remember there seemed to be 8-10. I have walked 18 at Carne and 27 would be appealing but not 36 especially on a windy day.

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 07:05:18 PM »
I cast my vote (if I have one) for a Carne/Enniscrone Buda in late August or early September. I've got lots of Euros remaining from the Dutch Buda and no where to spend them!  ;)

My concern is the participation of the usual UK contingent... we only had two from England attend the Dutch Buda. It was a sad showing. Mark and Conrad valiantly carried the banner, but it was too much for them shoulder alone. Please... don't put them through such a meat grinder in 2014.  ;D

Whitty

Its highly unlikely that I would make the trip to Ireland for Buda. 

Ciao

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »

I agree with the lefty.  This needs to be decided by the Brits.  They have to determine if Buda needs a return to the UK in 2014, or will they participate in Ireland.  The guys from the colonies have a long flight either way and it does not matter.  Not to discourage the Brits, but I am in either way, so Whit and I will probably combine for one victory in foursomes.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:55 PM »

Whitty

Ciao

Man, I thought you were hard core!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 10:28:35 PM »

I agree with the lefty.  This needs to be decided by the Brits.  They have to determine if Buda needs a return to the UK in 2014, or will they participate in Ireland.  The guys from the colonies have a long flight either way and it does not matter.  Not to discourage the Brits, but I am in either way, so Whit and I will probably combine for one victory in foursomes.

+1   ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

ward peyronnin

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 11:21:57 PM »
Doubtful i would make ireland if i have to then get in a car and travel out to the far west reaches.
this buda brought to light the challenge of coping with all the challenges of intl travel and then piling on the requirement of cross country golf travel or a golf trip within a golf trip. I like Britain because there seems to be a tighter circle available for golf and craic.
I am still exhuasted when i dwell on the recent Dutch migration.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »
Places that get a mention often on GCA that seem grouped together;

Birmingham - Beau desert, little aston, edgebaston

Norfolk - brancaster, Hunstanton

Nottingham - Notts and sherwood Forrest

manchester - cavendish and reddish vale

Dundee - Panmure, downfield, burnside

oxford - Oxford(southfield) and Huntercombe

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 11:52:11 PM »
Doubtful i would make ireland if i have to then get in a car and travel out to the far west reaches.
this buda brought to light the challenge of coping with all the challenges of intl travel and then piling on the requirement of cross country golf travel or a golf trip within a golf trip. I like Britain because there seems to be a tighter circle available for golf and craic.
I am still exhuasted when i dwell on the recent Dutch migration.

Pussy.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2013, 03:33:16 AM »
I think the travelling this year was a bit of a nuisance, but it allowed us to see all the great courses there and that was definitely worth it. In Ireland it would be different, there is no way we could see all the great courses there, so we would be more or less based in one place. So why not stay at Carne the entire time and offer Enniscrone et. al. as Pre- or Post-Buda options?

I also think that 27 holes on a tough to walk course is good enough, but perhaps there wouldn't be a problem to send the most hardy golfers out for an additional 9 holes at their fancy?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sean_A

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2013, 03:36:17 AM »

Whitty

Ciao

Man, I thought you were hard core!

Ace

I am far from hardcore.  Indeed, I am a lightweight, featherweight even.  I am planning to go to Ireland in late June so two trips there in a few months doesn't appeal.

Ciao

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2013, 04:12:54 AM »
We're having a meet down at Deal this weekend, so the topic of UK participation will be raised.  Already, you can count on three at least, plus likely support from our Irish contingent and local guests.

27 holes per day at Carne is comfortable, though you'll know you've been on a hike.  The club do a 27-hole green fee rate, which as an online booking for a fourball is currently €80 each.  That is the rack rate, which is very reasonable in itself.  The Enniscrone rack rate is €55 and Mulranny €20.

Tony's itinerary suggestion cuts down on the frenetic driving between venues that the hardy souls who did Holland experienced.  Once you get there, the car keys will be used sparingly and there'll be plenty of time to relax between rounds.

The date (either June or September) will depend upon the likelihood of full participation.  The first weekend in September should be the target, to make the best of available daylight, though if this clashes with the school holidays (and this is an issue) then the weekend after.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back