News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: BUDA XII (2014) - Venue suggestions and dates
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »
My advice is to play Saunton. In my book it comes second to St. Enodoc, but beats everything else soundly, including Perranporth.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »
Looking forward to seeing everyone at St Enedoc in 12 months time.

Ally and Robin I'm delighted to  accept your offer and I would like to be the first to commit to playing in a gathering at Carne and Enniscrone in 2015.  I also commit to playing in the 2015 Buda.

My life will be a lot simpler if the two events can be coetaneous/coexistent/concurrent/coequal/coterminous.  ;D

Ditto
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:00:00 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
Ally, Robin,

In much the same way as Silloth was confirmed as BUDA 2012 host at the same time as Liphook was confirmed as 2011 host, I think that Carne is anointed as 2015 host.  Make firm plans.  I have Carne in the diary for 2015 and am looking forward to it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2013, 04:13:24 AM »
2015 is a long way away to make "firm plans" but thank you for showing your intentions.

I'm sure Robin will confirm at St. Enedoc whether he is willing to organise the following year. Carne themselves will always show a hearty welcome and provide great hospitality. I had pencilled in a golf trip to the States for September / October 2015 but will do everything I can to attend. I can always help organise either way.

Regards to future organisation, my tuppence worth even though you didn't ask for it:

I happen to agree with Sean that by far the best method is to come up with the following year's venue amongst those attending in any given year.... They should have the most say and it is easier talked about in person....

Either that or all arrangements should be completely autocratic (as I run a similar outing. i.e. I decide and I do ALL the organising - others are happy to defer to me because I always make good choices and provide a good weekend)

IF you continue to open it up to debate on this forum, listen to genuine offers and then decide to run a vote, then that vote should be open to all who may show an interest.

I truly hope to make St Enedoc and think it will be a great venue...

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2013, 08:24:35 AM »
Excellent news.  Look forward to seeing everyone in Cornwall next year
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Scott Warren

« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »
You running there from Yorkshire, Andrew?!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2013, 09:28:56 AM »
Now there's an idea  - it should be all downhill from up here, no? ;) 
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Ben Stephens

« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2013, 10:06:47 AM »
Look forward to playing St Enodoc again to get my own back at the last 6 holes as last time I played there I was 5 under after 12 and finished 6 over??!! and still lost to my dad even though I was 5 up - massive collapse!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2013, 04:02:31 PM »
Thanks all.  We will put on a good show at Carne in 2015.

I've just been looking at the accommodation options for St. Enedoc and by far the most choice is to be found in Padstow.  It's a bit of a trek around the head of the estuary to get to Rock, but there is a foot ferry from Padstow to Rock from where it is a short walk to the golf course.  The scheduled timetable might not exactly work for our golf times, but with 20+ guaranteed passengers twice a day we could probably cut a deal.  Wouldn't that be a lovely way to get to the course each day?
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Bill_McBride

« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2013, 04:56:40 PM »

I've just been looking at the accommodation options for St. Enedoc and by far the most choice is to be found in Padstow.  It's a bit of a trek around the head of the estuary to get to Rock, but there is a foot ferry from Padstow to Rock from where it is a short walk to the golf course.  The scheduled timetable might not exactly work for our golf times, but with 20+ guaranteed passengers twice a day we could probably cut a deal.  Wouldn't that be a lovely way to get to the course each day?

Yes!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »

Yes!

It will be possible if Drinkin' Joe can find his way across :)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »
To the extent that an internet commitment means something and life doesn't intervene to the detriment, I am in for everything in 2014 and 2015.  The two Budas I've been to have been really good.  I do ask for one favor of the organizers, please make sure that Ulrich is at least a half-dozen holes ahead of me so he can't come back and cite me for slow play.   ;)

Ben's mention of Pensecola CC's better player (sorry Bill  ;D), long-hitting Joe Buehler, brings to mind an act of sportsmanship nearly as remarkable as Nicklaus conceding Jacklin's par putt on 18 for a tie in the Ryder Cup.  Robin and Tony were matched against Joe and a hacker named Lou at Hankley Common, the match tight throughout the day with the American side leaking oil fast but still one up going to 18.  The hack hits a terrible approach into the dry ditch fronting the 18th hole and a poor pitch from there for a likely bogey.  Joe chokes something up to 3' (they don't call him Short Stick for a reason), needing the putt to half the hole, and gives me a look probably translating to "Oh Shit, we're F----d"!  Then a voice from above tells him to pick it up.  I don't know what possessed Tony Muldoon at that moment, but two relieved Americans were greatly thankful.  Though Joe may not agree to partner with me, I would welcome a rematch.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:36:35 PM by Lou_Duran »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »
The major problem with the ferry is that, in September, the last departure from Rock is at 6.30pm. A good friend of mine is part-owner of the Point at Polzeath, a golf course about two miles from Rock. The course itself is nothing special, though they have plans to improve it, but their restaurant is fabulous, and they're building several four bedroomed apartments for holiday rentals.. I don't know if they'll be ready by next September, but if there's an interest, I can investigate (Robert is also a St Enodoc member). Thoughts?

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2013, 05:18:54 PM »

When I was trying to organise St Enedoc for my group a few years ago, that foot ferry was a real plus.... Any time I can take them on a ferry journey to a golf course, they seem to become ecstatic... They wanted to keep on going back to Arran after we went there

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2013, 11:42:40 AM »
To the extent that an internet commitment means something and life doesn't intervene to the detriment, I am in for everything in 2014 and 2015.  The two Budas I've been to have been really good.  I do ask for one favor of the organizers, please make sure that Ulrich is at least a half-dozen holes ahead of me so he can't come back and cite me for slow play.   ;)

Ben's mention of Pensecola CC's better player (sorry Bill  ;D), long-hitting Joe Buehler, brings to mind an act of sportsmanship nearly as remarkable as Nicklaus conceding Jacklin's par putt on 18 for a tie in the Ryder Cup.  Robin and Tony were matched against Joe and a hacker named Lou at Hankley Common, the match tight throughout the day with the American side leaking oil fast but still one up going to 18.  The hack hits a terrible approach into the dry ditch fronting the 18th hole and a poor pitch from there for a likely bogey.  Joe chokes something up to 3' (they don't call him Short Stick for a reason), needing the putt to half the hole, and gives me a look probably translating to "Oh Shit, we're F----d"!  Then a voice from above tells him to pick it up.  I don't know what possessed Tony Muldoon at that moment, but two relieved Americans were greatly thankful.  Though Joe may not agree to partner with me, I would welcome a rematch.

Lou

Tony's problem is that he can't count!  

If Ulrich is even one hole ahead of you at Carne, the lack of parallel holes and mountainous dunes means that you might just get away with luxuriating over your play.  He'll have no idea!  ;)
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
It was 3'?!?!

I'm going to get some glasses.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »
Lou,

if I understand Mr. Hiseman correctly, you won't be able to benefit from my presence at Carne a lot. So I have this piece of advice to take to the course with you:

If, after 15 minutes of play, you still haven't spotted the slow player in your group, then it's probably you! :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2013, 07:14:33 PM »

Having stayed at the 5* Huis ter Duin at Buda XI, we will settle for nothing less than the best Rock has to offer!!!  ;D  ;D
We now have expensive tastes, so just block book the St. Enedoc Hotel :D
On second thoughts, a £40/night 2* will do nicely.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2013, 04:08:30 AM »

Having stayed at the 5* Huis ter Duin at Buda XI, we will settle for nothing less than the best Rock has to offer!!!  ;D  ;D
We now have expensive tastes, so just block book the St. Enedoc Hotel :D
On second thoughts, a £40/night 2* will do nicely.

Padstow is also a tough place to get good value accommodation for decent size groups... So it might be worth someone taking the lead to cut a deal?... Otherwise the group might be spread out over the town or paying a lot of money....

Sean_A

« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2013, 04:32:37 AM »
Ally

I don't think there is a place big enough in Padstow at the right price to handle all Pests unless some decide to bunk in the same bed  :o.  To get a decent deal and all Pests in the same place, Trevose is probably the best bet.  They offer seasonal deals and with golf inclusive.  I know its not in town, but nothing is perfect with a large group on a budget around Padstow.  Otherwise, its back over to the Tzitzikama Lodge in Rock, but it has no bar which from experience can lead to group dispersion.  

The other thing to try is the Metropole.  I can see them possibly doing deals in Sept.  I had a look round the place in July.  I wasn't impressed for the amount of money they want per night.  

I also checked out the Treglos.  Its quite close to Trevose.  The hotel is a bit chintzy, but clean.  But to be honest, if you are staying near Trevose one may as well say at Trevose unless you get a cracking group rate.

Its a difficult call to either be in town and likely dispersed or out of town together, but in a captive market situation and likely using taxis.  I will say I once stayed at Trevose and it was very good for the money, but we were only there for two nights.  One night we went into Padstow.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2013, 04:37:56 AM »
Ally

I don't think there is a place big enough in Padstow at the right price to handle all Pests unless some decide to bunk in the same bed  :o.  To get a decent deal and all Pests in the same place, Trevose is probably the best bet.  They offer seasonal deals and with golf inclusive.  I know its not in town, but nothing is perfect with a large group on a budget around Padstow.  Otherwise, its back over to the Tzitzikama Lodge in Rock, but it has no bar which from experience can lead to group dispersion.  

The other thing to try is the Metropole.  I can see them possibly doing deals in Sept.  I had a look round the place in July.  I wasn't impressed for the amount of money they want per night.  

I also checked out the Treglos.  Its quite close to Trevose.  The hotel is a bit chintzy, but clean.  But to be honest, if you are staying near Trevose one may as well say at Trevose unless you get a cracking group rate.

Its a difficult call to either be in town and likely dispersed or out of town together, but in a captive market situation and likely using taxis.  I will say I once stayed at Trevose and it was very good for the money, but we were only there for two nights.  One night we went into Padstow.

Ciao

As per my previous mail, I reckon the Point might just work out. I've spoken to my friends there, and they'd be delighted to host -- they could easily do the dinner too, if needed (and I can testify their food is excellent). I'm waiting on a price; people can decide what they think then. It's not in Rock itself, but at least it doesn't mean crossing the estuary.
Adam Lawrence

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2013, 04:44:52 AM »
Ally

Ciao

As per my previous mail, I reckon the Point might just work out. I've spoken to my friends there, and they'd be delighted to host -- they could easily do the dinner too, if needed (and I can testify their food is excellent). I'm waiting on a price; people can decide what they think then. It's not in Rock itself, but at least it doesn't mean crossing the estuary.

Looks lovely, Adam... With a golf course on site and a good looking beach nearby...

http://www.thepointatpolzeath.co.uk/

Thomas Dai

« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2013, 05:39:33 AM »
Was The Point at Polzeath previously known as Roserrow G&CC?
All the best.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2013, 05:44:52 AM »
Yes - was bought out a couple of years ago. Course is nothing special, but the facilities are very good.
Adam Lawrence

John Mayhugh

« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Clean accommodations are all I really am worried about. Convenience over luxury as well.

Count me in for both St. Enodoc in 2014 and Carne in 2015.  I was hoping for Carne next year, but I can wait and am thankful that Ally & Robin are willing to as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back