News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: BUDA XII (2014) - Venue suggestions and dates
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2013, 06:25:11 AM »
To simplify things, I hereby take Ganton in June off the BUDA 2014 table.

So, the choice seems to be between Carne and Cornwall or some combination of the two, all in early September.  My choice would be to have both, although I would probably only be able to attend one of the two.  At some point prior to the end of this year a choice needs to be made, and I would be happy to participate in making that choice if someone else steeped in the BUDA tradition (and prefereably an American, as US participation seems to be the critical factor) will take the lead.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Garland Bayley

« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »

Are you intending to attend BUDA 2014?

I'm a possible.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »
Well, Sir Richard, in my opinion, it was an excellent idea to propose Ganton in a thread titled BUDA XII (2014) - Venue suggestions and dates.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:01:24 AM by Eric Smith »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2013, 04:29:09 AM »
I was in the Rosses Point area a couple of weeks back and asked about their schedule for Sept 2014 as a pre- or post-BUDA add on to the Carne/Enniscrone option. They have nothing booked yet and told me they could do a nice deal (golf & lunch) for us. They have some restrictions on the weekends, but weekdays are no problem. I stayed in the Yeats Country Hotel which is no more than a long putt from the course. If the Carne/Enniscrone option went ahead, I could look into Strandhill/Rosses Point add-on if people were interested.  

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2013, 06:25:35 AM »
I would be very interested in that.

Perhaps we could restrict the Buda proper to Carne and do Enniscrone as a pre-option and Sligo as a pre-pre option. That way there would be much less travelling on 27/36 hole days.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2013, 07:38:20 AM »
Both proposals bring multiple pre- and post- BUDA options.  Let's not make the mistake of getting too distracted by those.  Let's decide on the BUDA venue (and organiser).  That organiser should ONLY arrange BUDA.  If others want to arrange pre- and post- trips (as they ALWAYS do) then great.  THat will, I am sure, happen.  But let's make the big decision first and choose the BUDA venue.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Craig Disher

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »
Although it does seem early to make a decision on where to hold the event, there's not much else to learn about the options. Since Rich pulled Ganton from consideration the only England site on the table is St. Enodoc. We have a tentative reservation with the club for 10-12 September - 36 holes on 11-12, 36 holes elsewhere on the 10th, probably Trevose. We could also arrange 9-11 and play at St. Enodoc at the front and back end of the Buda - there's a competition already scheduled for the 10th. The following week is also available. Cost is GBP 100/day and the club can arrange a dinner although I've heard that we might do better elsewhere.

For a variety of reasons I won't be attending the Buda if it's held in Ireland in September but I am willing to follow through with St. Enodoc and make the arrangements there. Also, I'm waiting to hear from a friend who has organized a yearly event there to send me a list of recommended hotels, b&bs, restaurants and pubs.

Since the American contingent - with only a couple exceptions - will travel to the Buda in September regardless of where it's held, I think the preferences of the locals should be given the most weight and we need to hear from them... Andrew, Conrad, Giles, Ian, Tony, Ben, etc?

jeffwarne

« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2013, 09:33:15 PM »
Carne
in September
willing club, been on the table for a couple years, seems sillly to snub willing organizers and host club
seems like it's time to go to Ireland
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2013, 01:31:35 AM »
I'd certainly like to attend a third Buda.  Both options are a little difficult to get to from Canada, but are possible.  I don't relish the drive to either after a red-eye flight.

I prefer June because of the longer days, but the first couple of weeks of September are OK if after September 1 and before the 21st.

Is there any significant difference in weather between the two?  Is there normally a difference in weather between June and September at either place?

I agree that it's important to maximize the UK/Brit/Euro participation.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2013, 04:58:22 PM »
Well, I suppose everyone chipped in by now, is there a final tally of the votes?

Ulrich

Eric Smith

« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2013, 08:36:54 AM »
Well, I suppose everyone chipped in by now, is there a final tally of the votes?

Ulrich

The silence is deafening. Try the back channel. ;)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
For those on the nerd couch like me, how do we access said channel?

Eric Smith

« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2013, 10:33:35 AM »
For those on the nerd couch like me, how do we access said channel?

Lou,

I'm sitting right next to you. Dip?

Craig Disher

« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »
After much discussion among many long-time Buda participants, it's decided that the Buda Cup in 2014 will be held at St. Enodoc GC with Carne GC the front runner for 2015. St. Enodoc has reserved morning and afternoon tee times for us on September 11 and 12 - morning will be singles or foursome matches, 4b matches can be played in the afternoon. Darkness rolls in about 7:30 so we shouldn't be pressed.

We'll be asking for a deposit fairly soon. Although this sounds premature, the club requires a deposit to hold the times. Greens fees at St. Enodoc will be GBP100/day.

An opening day of golf on the 10th will be planned for Trevose GC - more details to follow.

Accommodations are widely available but where to locate centrally needs to be decided. Padstow is 10 minutes from Trevose and 30 minutes from St. Enodoc; Rock is 2 minutes from St. Enodoc. The large hotels in Rock are very pricey but there are affordable b&bs nearby. The Old Ship Hotel in Padstow might accommodate the entire group at a reasonable rate. We're waiting for a response from them but there are also other options (mainly b&bs) in and near the town.

This decision was based primarily on the slightly larger numbers who expressed a willingness to travel to St. Enodoc in 2014. Both sites are wonderful options and with luck and help from Ally and Robin, we'll be able to enjoy both over the next 2 years.

Eric Smith

Re: BUDA XII (2014) - Venue suggestions and dates New
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »
"See you in September."
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:54:22 PM by Eric Smith »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
What was the final vote tally?

Ulrich

Craig Disher

« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
What was the final vote tally?

Ulrich

The poll (it wasn't a vote indicating preference) showed that 2 players would have visited Carne and not St. Enodoc; 5 players would have visited St. Enodoc and not Carne. All others would have attended either. The result gave the edge to St. Enodoc.

Ulrich - it wasn't fair to make two entries.  :)

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »
Myself, Ally, and most of all Carne Golf Links are and will be disappointed that despite a tremendous offer of genuine host hospitality and the opportunity to play a course designed by one of our own, that it isn't to be in 2014.

I would urge BUDA supporters to insist that Carne is announced as the host for 2015 as soon as possible, before the will to host diminishes.  Ally's course will be all the better for a years added maturity and I know he'll be happier to show it off then.

See you in St.Enodoc.  
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2013, 05:13:27 PM »
It's hard to believe that the deck wasn't slightly stacked against... I'm sure there were plenty of those not asked to vote who would have loved to travel to Carne, not least some of our regular Irish posters.

All I can do is echo Robin's words. The course, at least, will still be delighted to host at any time - hopefully 2015.

I'm sure St. Enedoc will also be a wonderful venue. I will do my best to make it but cannot confirm this far in advance.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:17:21 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2013, 05:27:29 PM »
Ulrich - it wasn't fair to make two entries.

Craig,

my second vote was made just a few minutes ago in the belief I would then get to see the vote tally page again. Since you had already announced the result I thought that this would cause no harm.

It would be interesting to see how many people voted for St. Enodoc and compare that number with the number of actual attendees.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:29:36 PM by Ulrich Mayring »

Sean_A

« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
Very fine Craig - well done.  

If folks like, I can try to organize a day of golf at Burnham after BUDA ends, on the 13th or 14th, but the 14th is probably better.  I would also say that folks shouldn't be that close to Perranporth and not play it.  It may even be possible to organize the weekend of Sat at Perranporth and Sun at Burnham.  Anyway, if there is interest from folks, let me know.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Rich Goodale

« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2013, 06:39:27 AM »
Or......

.....you could fly from Knock (Carne) to Bristol (St. Enodoc) or vice versa for ~$200 return if you wanted check out what Ali has done at Carne on your way in or out of deepest, darkeest Cornwall.....

Rihc

PS--great job, Craig.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2013, 07:01:21 AM »
Or......

.....you could fly from Knock (Carne) to Bristol (St. Enodoc) or vice versa for ~$200 return if you wanted check out what Ali has done at Carne on your way in or out of deepest, darkeest Cornwall.....

Rihc

PS--great job, Craig.

Obviously everyone is always welcome at Carne... But I'd only advise Rich's idea if Mayo is going to be similarly gazumped for 2015... If the powers that be want to think about that in advance, then it would be nice to know because I'd be happy to arrange something either side of St.Enedoc for 2014 if this is going to be the case... Otherwise, I'd suggest waiting.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
Looking forward to seeing everyone at St Enedoc in 12 months time.

Ally and Robin I'm delighted to  accept your offer and I would like to be the first to commit to playing in a gathering at Carne and Enniscrone in 2015.  I also commit to playing in the 2015 Buda.

My life will be a lot simpler if the two events can be coetaneous/coexistent/concurrent/coequal/coterminous.  ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2013, 12:54:38 PM »
Looking forward to seeing everyone at St Enedoc in 12 months time.
Ally and Robin I'm delighted to  accept your offer and I would like to be the first to commit to playing in a gathering at Carne and Enniscrone in 2015.  I also commit to playing in the 2015 Buda. My life will be a lot simpler if the two events can be coetaneous/coexistent/concurrent/coequal/coterminous.  ;D

Although I'm not exactly sure what coetaneous/coexistent/concurrent/coequal/coterminous actually means I go along with Tonys general sentiments above and have already written into my diary St Enodoc for Sept 2014, if you'll have me! The thought of Carne during 2015 is also now in my personal 'golfplan' as I like Carne (and Enniscrone) very much and am really looking forward to playing Allys new holes.

Thanks to all those involved for what you've done to so far in organising, researching, proposing and communicating on this matter.

As to Sept 2014, if as a first-timer I may add a pennyworth, Sean has a great point above about Perranporth and golf at Burnham & Berrow before/after is a super offer and one I'd certainly be very interested in accepting. There are some other rather attractive places not too far the M5 as you head to/from deepest-darkest Cornwall, places like Saunton and Westward Ho!. Plus, I've heard very nice words about both East Devon and Yelverton. Also, for aircraft using folk, Exeter Airport is worth considering as it's not that far away and from nearby Newquay Airport you can I believe fly to the Isles of Scilly in 20-minutes and the drop-dead gorgeous, super laid back IoS has an apparently very picturesque 9-hole course. Just getting some thoughts out early.

All the best.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:24:20 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back