News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

BUDA XII (2014) - Venue suggestions and dates
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:46:49 AM »
The previously discussed suggestion for Buda 2014 is something based around Carne in the west of Ireland. I know Ally McIntosh and Rob Hiseman are in the case.

Robin had suggested an itinerary along the lines of:

Meet at Mulranny 9 holer for Friday afternoon / evening - stay in Belmullet...
27 / 36 at Carne on Saturday - stay in Belmullet
18 / 36 at Enniscrone Sunday - stay in Enniscrone
Monday morning - head home / post-BUDA destinations (suggest Strandhill / Rosses Point / Narin & Portnoo / Cruit Island / Rosapenna / Portsalon / Ballyliffin etc....)

Can certainly help with this if desired... Cost will be good I'm sure

I just thought I should start a new topic seperate from David's BUDA XI thread.

Last year a number of suggestions were flying around:

Donegal (Ballyliffin)
Mayo (Carne/Enniscrone)
Notts
Huntercombe
and some others...

Niall C

Re: BUDA XII (2014) - Venue suggestions and dates
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »
Donal

If you centred it on Forfar you could also play the likes of Edzell, Arbroath and Sean's new favourite, the Burnside  ;D Anyone fancy a night out in Forfar ?

Niall

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »
Good thinking Donal.

Ally and I took the opportunity of being at Carne earlier this week to sound out the prospects of holding a BUDA in Mayo.  The golf will be great, the welcome warm, the accommodation first rate, the cost reasonable and the craic legendary.  But...it takes an effort to get there.

We propose adding Mulranny as a prologue, as it is a fascinating, unknown links in a beautiful location, that a few of us have seen, but very few have played.  My partner in the scramble at Carne was both a Mulranny member and the Golf Union of Ireland's Connaght representative.  He would be happy to help ensure we have a great day there.

It would be a fine venue for a BUDA cup, but clearly there are several good candidates.  As a Carne member, I'm very happy to help organise this venue if that is what the ranks would like to do, but I'm not going to get into an argument about it, so fellas, it's up to you.

I also like the idea of a back-to-basics BUDA, such as a Kington/Church Stretton tie up, if a mainland UK 2014 venue is preferred. There are several interesting choices.  Let the debate commence!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »
Robin,

If you go down the Kington/Church Stretton route throw Welshpool and Llandrindod Wells into the hat.

Mark.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »
I saw Mulranny this spring (stumbled upon it, actually) and thought it was very cool.  But for me it was the perfect ANTIDOTE to the big and bigger dunes of Enniscrone and Carne.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 09:56:15 AM »
I saw Mulranny this spring (stumbled upon it, actually) and thought it was very cool.  But for me it was the perfect ANTIDOTE to the big and bigger dunes of Enniscrone and Carne.

Oh, very definitely.  It would give a lovely change of pace.  It has an interesting history too, with 9 holes being wiped out in a storm.  Whether as an overture, or an interlude between the dune bashing, it's the kind of off beat venue that makes the BUDA cup such good fun.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:58:34 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
What time of the year would you guys think for a Buda in Mayo?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 04:41:29 AM »
Ulrich

Personally, I think June is the best time of year over there.  Daylight for 18-19 hours a day and you can play until 11pm if you want a few holes after dinner.  July is fine too.  The light falls away quite quickly as you head through August/September, and the weather can be particularly dodgy around the equinox, so probably best to avoid the shoulder months.

I think we'd want to avoid the US Open at Pinehurst weekend and, as ever, the availability and preferences of our American friends is paramount.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 04:55:28 AM »
Ulrich

Personally, I think June is the best time of year over there.  Daylight for 18-19 hours a day and you can play until 11pm if you want a few holes after dinner.  July is fine too.  The light falls away quite quickly as you head through August/September, and the weather can be particularly dodgy around the equinox, so probably best to avoid the shoulder months.

I think we'd want to avoid the US Open at Pinehurst weekend and, as ever, the availability and preferences of our American friends is paramount.
We should avoid July, if possible, as it is likely to clash with UK school holidays.  As others have said the coincidence of BUDA and the US Open in 2008 worked really well and Pinehurst would work better than Torrey Pines as the time difference would mean rounds ending at a more suitable time.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:52:52 AM »
Mark

My worry would be that there would be several US BUDA regulars who would want to be in Pinehurst, so avoiding a clash would be better.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
I can do July, June may be a problem.

Ulrich

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »
There are only about 2 or 3 weekends which are no-go's in Carne so that should not be a problem. If there is a consensus on month, then we can organise something pretty quickly.

It being further west, there is definitely a little more light in to August and September than (say) the East Coast of Scotland... Approx +20 minutes from Dublin too.

Robin is right though - if people would prefer to be closer to home for next year then fair enough. There is always 2015. That said, it is really as close for many of the Americans or others coming in... About 3 hours from Shannon, 1 hr 20 from Knock, just under 4 hours from Dublin...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 07:06:20 PM »
I really hope we will keep The Buda as a autumn event. Participation in September has been outstanding the past several years and the event has settled into a comfortable slot. With the other gatherings that have been organized through GCA I would be hard pressed to attend The Buda & The 5th Major, for example, if The Buda takes place in June or July.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 07:23:15 PM »
I really hope we will keep The Buda as a autumn event. Participation in September has been outstanding the past several years and the event has settled into a comfortable slot. With the other gatherings that have been organized through GCA I would be hard pressed to attend The Buda & The 5th Major, for example, if The Buda takes place in June or July.

+1

If we can't go in May to Scotland, then September works.  It avoids several events in the US over the summer. 

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 04:24:33 AM »
Mike/Bill

Points well made and the kind of input we need to narrow down the dates.

I have this from Eamon Mangan of Carne Golf Links, with regard to the course hosting a GCA event.

"It would be a great honour for us at Carne to host the GCA golf competition and we look forward very much to this event coming to this part of the country in the future.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 04:36:28 AM »
For my part I would like BUDA to go to Ireland at some stage in the near future (I know at least one GCA icon believes it should be restricted to England and Wales because Americans tend not to visit those countries).  I wonder if 2014 is the right time, given that it would follow straight on from our Dutch adventure but I'm undecided on that and having someone willing to arrange the event is half the battle with BUDA!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 04:49:52 AM »
All the Buda boxes will never be fully ticked.  However, despite my dislike of leaving England/Wales, a lot of the boxes for a Carne/Enniscrone trip are ticked; starting with two guys (both archies and at least one a member of Carne) willing to organize at a club willing to host.  Seems to me that its just a matter of throwing the idea on the table with possible dates and see who is interested.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 04:52:58 AM »
I really hope we will keep The Buda as a autumn event. Participation in September has been outstanding the past several years and the event has settled into a comfortable slot.

+1

Robin I’ve always though Carne would be an ideal setting for the first Buda in Ireland, this year or next.

Carne is a destination in itself and my ideal trip would include Mulranny only as an unofficial warm up for those who are travelling on the Friday, it does look wonderful and I can’t see anyone getting there again unless they are heading back in that direction!  Most travel will need to be the day before Buda starts but if we can play over the weekend then that shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve heard so much about Carne that I think it would be ideal to have 2 full days playing there.  I’ve also heard the Dunes are so grand that many legs will vote to play 27 rather than 36, but maybe one day of each?

So my ideal itinerary would be

Friday some play Mulranny on the way. Gather at hotel in Belmullet for next 3 nights.
Sat 36 holes Carne.  Dine at  the Club.
Sunday 27 Carne (there are 3 loops of 9).
Monday AM set off for Enniscrone (75mins).  This should be early enough for 36 holes to be played but traditionally people do start to make tracks after lunch and the final PM game is only for the hardy!

I can also highly recommend the Waterfront House Hotel in Enniscrone for those planning more Irish golf. All world views, modern and spacious with a decent restaurant at good prices.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:56:38 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Craig Disher

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 05:22:29 AM »
If Ireland is the destination I'll assume most of the US players will plan for a longer stay, some of which will be in the UK. What are the most convenient travel options between England and Ireland?

I'm just one guy but due to the US Opens June will not work for me.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 05:27:23 AM »
I really hope we will keep The Buda as a autumn event. Participation in September has been outstanding the past several years and the event has settled into a comfortable slot.

+1

Robin I’ve always though Carne would be an ideal setting for the first Buda in Ireland, this year or next.

Carne is a destination in itself and my ideal trip would include Mulranny only as an unofficial warm up for those who are travelling on the Friday, it does look wonderful and I can’t see anyone getting there again unless they are heading back in that direction!  Most travel will need to be the day before Buda starts but if we can play over the weekend then that shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve heard so much about Carne that I think it would be ideal to have 2 full days playing there.  I’ve also heard the Dunes are so grand that many legs will vote to play 27 rather than 36, but maybe one day of each?

So my ideal itinerary would be

Friday some play Mulranny on the way. Gather at hotel in Belmullet for next 3 nights.
Sat 36 holes Carne.  Dine at  the Club.
Sunday 27 Carne (there are 3 loops of 9).
Monday AM set off for Enniscrone (75mins).  This should be early enough for 36 holes to be played but traditionally people do start to make tracks after lunch and the final PM game is only for the hardy!

I can also highly recommend the Waterfront House Hotel in Enniscrone for those planning more Irish golf. All world views, modern and spacious with a decent restaurant at good prices.

I really loved Carne on my first visit there last week, and Ally's new holes are excellent. However, anyone who can manage 63 holes in that terrain in two days is a better man than I!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 05:49:57 AM »
It would have to be early September for 36 holes, the sun sets at 7:15 PM at the end of September.

Ulrich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 06:28:13 AM »
BUDA should be 36 holes a day for the first two days, what's with this 27 hole suggestion?  A course that cannot be walked for 36 a day by nearly all BUDAites is not a suitable BUDA venue.  I don't know Carne but if walking 36 there is going to be a problem it raises a question as to its suitability.  Also, Tony, early starts are NOT a good idea.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 06:30:45 AM »
September is a great month to play golf in the UK.  So is June.  BUDA has not always been a September event, certainly it wasn't when it went to Fife.  Dates are never going to suit everybody, September dates have previously been a problem with the Walker Cup, for instance. 

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 06:46:02 AM »
BUDA should be 36 holes a day for the first two days, what's with this 27 hole suggestion?  A course that cannot be walked for 36 a day by nearly all BUDAites is not a suitable BUDA venue.  I don't know Carne but if walking 36 there is going to be a problem it raises a question as to its suitability.  Also, Tony, early starts are NOT a good idea.

Mark

Carne is a tough walk for 36.  I wouldn't do it, even if I was keen on 36 in a day.  Since there are 27 holes, it seems to make sense to play 27 with a lunch after 18.  Very civilized and holiday-like (Buda is a holiday - no?), plus no need to get up early. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mark Pearce

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 06:58:46 AM »
Sean,

Yes, it's a holiday.  It's a golfing holiday.  I don't get many of those and BUDA tends to be my one gig golf break of the year.  On that trip I want to play plenty of golf, drink much wine and beer and talk crap for hours.  Plenty of golf, for me, means 36 holes a day for most of the trip.  I know I'm far from alone in thinking that.  If a course is unsuitable for the majority of BUDAites to play 36 a day then I would question whether it is a good selection as the "home" course for a BUDA.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back