News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Here's the scenario:

Player A and Player B are playing a match with no officials present.  On the 10th hole, both players reach the green of a Par 4 in 4 shots.  Player A putts to 8 feet, Player B putts to 6 feet.  Player A then misses his putt for 6 and is given the tap in.  Player B rolls his putt for 6 three feet past.  Before player B putts out to tie, Player A asks if that putt matters.  Player B responds he is putting for a 7.  Player A states he made a 6 so the putt doesn't matter.  Player B picks up his ball and proceeds to the next tee.

On the next tee Player B realizes that Player A was mistaken in claiming he made a 6.  What are Player B's options at this point, if any?

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Rules Question - Matchplay Misrepresentation of Score on a Hole
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »
Player B's options are to start paying attention and stop being a chump.  ;D
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »
Rule 9-2 (b)

Bob Harris

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »
USGA Rules and Decisions:

Under 9-2(b), loss of hole, however in this case, hole is halved

9-2/6
Player Reporting Wrong Score Causes Opponent with Chance for Half to Pick Up Ball

Q.In match play, A holed out and stated to B, his opponent, that he had scored a 4. B, having played four strokes, picked up assuming he had lost the hole. A then realized that he had scored a 5. He immediately told B. What is the ruling?

A.A gave wrong information as to the number of strokes taken and, under the principle of Rule 9-2, A would normally lose the hole. However, since A had holed out for no worse than a half, the hole was halved - see Rule 2-2.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:39:31 AM by Bob Harris »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »

Mark:

Player B was playing golf, not trying to buy a used car.

Dan:

Thanks.  That answers the question.

Sven

PS - I wasn't involved in this match.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 09:39:29 AM »

Mark:

Sven,

No, Mark is correct, and Player B wasn't just playing golf, he was competing in a match.

I can't remember ever losing track of an opponents strokes and I can't remember any competitors that ever lost track of mine.
It's "match play 101", since your opponents play can influence your play.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 02:08:51 PM »

Mark:

Sven,

No, Mark is correct, and Player B wasn't just playing golf, he was competing in a match.

I can't remember ever losing track of an opponents strokes and I can't remember any competitors that ever lost track of mine.
It's "match play 101", since your opponents play can influence your play.

I can't remember ever losing track of an opponent's strokes, even in just a friendly money game, but I've had people lose track of mine. 

In fact, just yesterday, three of us were playing 9's, and completely unbeknownest to me, on the 12th hole one of my opponents thought that my ten-footer was for birdie, not par.  Thinking he had to make his 20-footer for par, he drilled it well past, and then thinking there was no way I was going to make bogey, he half tried to make his bogey putt, and missed.  So my par putt went from something I likely had to make to win the hole [assuming he simply two-putted for bogey] to something I just needed to two-putt for the win [because he had made double].  I hadn't said a word about where I stood, and I had no idea that he was mistaken.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back