News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Zuckerman

Jim Langley--RIP
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
The iconic head professional at Cypress Point Club, who retired at the end of 2006, passed away today.  I was told he was suffering from ALS.

I knew that writing about (mostly) a bunch of 55--65+ year old pros in my new book Pro's Pros would mean sometime down the line the first of the book's subjects would pass on.  But it was still a shock to hear; less than two months after the book's arrival.

I never met the man in person. I was on the Peninsula last October, hoping to get face-to-face, but the weather was raw, and he couldn't make it out to meet me.  I enjoyed a number of phone calls though, including one just a few days ago, when he called me to thank me for putting him in the book.  He was, by all accounts, a true gem.  Wish I would have had the chance to meet him.

Brian_Sleeman

Re: Jim Langley--RIP
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
He was truly the best, the standard by which we judge ourselves as professionals.  We might not ever fully measure up, but there's nothing wrong with aiming high.  It's a sad day but I'm thankful many more will know of him through your including him in the book.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »
I have known Jim Langley since I was 15 years old.  He was the classiest guy around.  He lost the use of one arm in a horrible accident years ago, and taught himself to play (and play very well) with the arm he could still use; then his recent illness.  In spite of it all, he never seemed to have so much as a down day.  He was a very religious man, and if Heaven is actually better than Cypress Point, then I guess he's in a better place.

Losing him is a great loss for everyone who really cares about golf.  My heart goes out to his family and to everyone at Cypress Point.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
I have known Jim for over forty years and a nicer human being I have yet to meet.

I have made and won many a bet asking the question, what was the last all White team to win the NCAA Championship? Many here may not know that Jim was on the team that won it all, the  University of California, 1959.

He was a true gentleman and a friend.

Bob

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »
I met Jim when I played Cypress Point many years ago.  He made me feel at ease and went our of his way to make me feel like an honored guest.  Rest in Peace Jim.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 09:45:01 PM »

what was the last all White team to win the NCAA Championship? Many here may not know that Jim was on the team that won it all, the  University of California, 1959.

Bob

His team was a bunch of giant slayers:  They beat Oscar Robertson and the Cincinnati Bearcats in the semi final, and Jerry West and the West Virginia mountaineers in the final, by a single point!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 10:49:49 PM »
I met him a few times and he was always very pleasant.  As Tom noted he lost his arm in an auto accident driving to Olympic Club to watch the US Open in 1987.

Three things always stuck with me about him.  They may or may not be true but it's worth telling.  I believe 2 of them to be true.

1.  He never addressed a member by anything other than their last name.

2. He never charged a member for a lesson.

3.  The only time he ever went into the clubhouse at Cypress Point was for a dinner honoring him.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:58:57 PM »
"His team was a bunch of giant slayers:  They beat Oscar Robertson and the Cincinnati Bearcats in the semi final, and Jerry West and the West Virginia mountaineers in the final, by a single point!"

With Darrell Imhoff at center, that team was coached by Pete Newell. At the risk of committing heresy, Newell may very well have been the equal of John Wooden as a college basketball coach. 

Gene Greco

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
    First met Jim in 1991.

I was always touched by his ability to pick up our conversations right where we left off during subsequent visits.

A special gentleman who I think about often, which is  whenever the thought of Cypress Point and my experiences there arise.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »
Truly one of the great gentlemen of all time.  Jim was a special person and very giving of his time and dedicated to family, CPC, and golf in general.  I never had the opportunity to meet Byron Nelson but Jim seemed to me to be like him and reminded me of one of my grandfathers, with a warm demeanor, genteel nature, and an interest in anything you might suggest.

My thoughts are with Lou, family, and friends.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »
I believe he still holds a share of the course record there if I am not mistaken.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
Eerie Timing Department:

I published this feature on Mr. Langley just last week.  It is excerpted from Pro's Pros and I updated it incrementally to make mention of the Open Championship and his health struggles. 

It will give those of you who don't know him or know of him a brief glimpse into his life and times, but notice he's never quoted himself...not a word!  (That's how he rolled..)

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/head_pro_spotlight_jim_langley

JC Urbina

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
I first met Mr Langley in 1993 after writing a letter to the club asking if I could walk the golf course.  Several years later while doing work at Pasatiempo I would always stop in to walk the course or just visit.  When he was working he would always invite me into the back room of the pro shop to look at a booklet of old pictures of the course.  We would sit and talk about every hole and how beautiful the bunkers and Cypress Point looked in the old BW photos. He always seemed to have a few new-Old ones to share.

Several years ago while standing on the 18th green wih Tom,  I watched him walk up the 18th approach to greet us.  It was a special time for me in a special place talking with a special man, I will never forget that day.

Jim Langley, I will miss your kindness.

My thoughts go out to all of his family and friends

David Davis

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
I too am very sorry to hear this. On my sole visit to Cypress (thus far) in 2009 my host invited Jim and their club historian to meet me and have lunch together in the clubhouse. Which also might answer your other statement, or at least partially. I had the opportunity to sit next to him and chat for a few hours. If I can remember correctly he also did not lose his hand, only the use of it but I'm sure that's what you meant.

He was certainly a gentleman, extremely interesting and a bit of a legend sharing the course record and all. In any case I was honored that he took to the time to come down just to meet me and share some stories before my round.

May he rest in peace!
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back