News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

The magnitude of my stupidity never ceases to amaze. Heading to Scotland, I thought that Askernish was a tribute course to Old Tom Morris. I was expecting quaint features and maybe even some tape, ala Westward Ho!, to keep grazing animals off the putting surface. The first five holes lived up to those romantic expectations, highlighted by the super interior contours of the 2nd green and a great pulpit green complex at the fourth.

At six where the tee is situated on top of the dune things begin to get decidedly woollier. Here is the view looking north:

The white caps signify a bit of Scottish breeze. Nae wind, nae golf!

The seventh tee is even higher than the sixth and … all hell begins to break loose from there forward to 16. Everything you might hope for is encountered: breathtaking views, majestic landforms, holes plunging into and out of valleys, a punchbowl green, greens that run from front to back, a long par three green perched on the side of the cliff, and a genuine multi-dimensional three shotter that would make MacKenzie proud.

The 195 yard 11th was a two iron the first day and an eight iron (!) the next.

A three shot version of MacKenzie's Lido hole roars to life at Askernish’s 12th. Chris Buie touched up the red flag so that you can get a sense of where the green is located. The green races away toward the rear.

An architect is afforded latitude when working in sand; a punchbowl green such as the 15th above becomes a viable option.

After the round, I wrote in the guest book something like Raw … Authentic … Wonderful, whose first letters I now see happen to spell raw. Anyway, the caliber of the holes from 6 to 16 exceeded all my expectations because there are truly some supreme holes, as good as anywhere. I am glad the hickories were back home because it was a battle royale in 40 mph winds - I needed all I could get my hands on and then some!

The course that I saw and played was not built in the 1890s. There was a story here bigger than that. Upon returning home, I contacted the Askernish Chairman Ralph Thompson and golf course architect Martin Ebert to learn more. The Q & A with them represents the July Feature Interview. As most of the questions are architectural in nature, Martin fielded them. Options abounded as the land was so good. Huge kudos to Martin for steering the final design into the well balanced course that exists today. As a show of his love for the project, Martin accepted what Old Tom was paid - ten shillings a hole!

What Martin and team accomplished is the Holy Grail of minimalism. The site possessed the two key components: great landforms and sandy soil. But it is still up to the architect to make it happen. I look at a green like the all-universe 9th and think naively, ‘What a find - that was easy -!’ I then read Martin’s response and start to appreciate that's just the beginning. Getting the fairway lines to then match to the angle of the green takes due consideration.

Some people think that Trump International Links is polarizing, well it's got nothing on Askernish Golf Club! In fact, I could easily see a certain sect of golfers proclaiming Askernish as their favorite golf experience in the world, despite that there are only four bunkers and its greens that stimp at 7 or less. Those same people would love Westward Ho!, Brancaster, Brora and another five courses that only Sean Arble knows ;). In fact, I imagine that some visitors might fly to Scotland and just camp out solely at Askernish. It makes other places look unnatural, overly cared for, and pretentious. Martin redefines minimalism and makes most minimalists look like maximalists. Doak and he had a healthy conversation about whether any more than four bunkers were required – that’s off the charts, neat stuff.

This is what golf was a century ago: A quick stop to pay a reasonable green fee (it is 50£, I think) and then off to the first tee without muss or fuss. Neither Ralph nor Martin have gotten rich from this undertaking. Their reward comes from offering the world golf at its core value - manufactured shots from awkward lies through the wind to greens of all shapes and sizes. That allure hasn't diminished one iota and it is wonderful to be freshly reminded of the fact. For gosh sakes, find great land and keep the game simple!

The best way to thank Ralph and Martin and all the volunteers for making this happen is to go there - you won't be disappointed. In fact, you'll come back with a renewed appreciation for several things, including the art of gently working with the land as exemplified here.  

Best,

Ran

PS Martin won't be fielding questions tomorrow - he is refereeing Sir Nick, Tom and Freddie!  :o
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:00:08 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Adam Lawrence

Re: Feature Interview on Askernish with Ebert & Thompson is posted
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:12:52 PM »
The two days in March 2006 when we routed the Askernish course are probably the happiest memory I have of the time I've been involved with the magazine. Martin called me in February: Gordon had got him involved and the two of them, plus Chris Haspell (then in Denmark but now course manager at Castle Stuart) were going to Uist to investigate the possibility of recreating the course. Would I like to come along?

We assembled at Glasgow airport early in the morning. It was snowing. I've been to the Hebrides a few times; I thought 'If it's like this here, what will Uist be like?'

The clouds cleared as we flew over Skye, and we had a perfect view of the islands as we approached Benbecula. Ralph picked us up and drove us to the property. We drove straight out onto the links, thinking 'This is flat, where are the dunes?', and then we parked, almost where the seventh tee is now. Our jaws hit the floor.

I wish every golfer could go to Askernish. If you can't reconnect with the spirit of the game there, you never will. Plus, it contains my own first piece of golf design (!), because I found the punch bowl that now houses the fifteenth green (I made a three on the hole when I was last there in 2012, too). As Martin says, the punch bowl was originally vetoed in favour of a site at the end of a dune valley, a little further on, but was reinstated during 'construction'. I will admit to being pleased.

Gordon Irvine and his volunteers, along with Martin, Tom Doak and Eric Iverson, deserve the credit for getting Askernish where it is now. But the biggest clap on the back should go to the indefatigable Ralph Thompson, now retired as chairman of the club, and the rest of the islanders. It's truly a special place, and I promise no one will regret making the trip.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:00:48 AM »
A very enjoyable and informative interview. Thank you and the interviewees for conducting it. Unfortunately, reading this interview, plus the various tours, photograohs and comments on Golf Club Atlas etc etc and visiting the Askernish clubs own website looks like it's going to cost me some serious £££ because, well,........I'm just going to have to go and play there!
All the best.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:31:03 AM »
If this course isn't on everyone's short list you really have to ask yourself what you're doing slumming here.  I can't image going back to Scotland without a visit to Askernish.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ville Nurmi

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
The Open weekend at the end of August is the best time to visit!
Craic and golf is unforgettable. The down side is that there are others who enjoy the golf...
Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »
If this course isn't on everyone's short list you really have to ask yourself what you're doing slumming here.  I can't image going back to Scotland without a visit to Askernish.

Jud:

As cool as it looks, I'm not sure I'd go there on a return trip to Scotland -- and I say that as someone who's only been there once, and loves out-of-the-way, obscure courses. It is a major haul to get to South Uist, and in the time you'd take to get there and back (and play enough rounds to really savor Askernish, which in my mind is about 4 at least), you could play Royal Dornoch twice and a whole bunch of rounds at really good courses within an easy drive of Dornoch.

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 01:24:58 PM »
Phil,

It's clearly off the beaten path but frankly I think I'm more keen on Askernish than Dornoch at my age although that's heresy to some.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 04:49:17 PM »
Ran, Martin, Ralph,

Thank you for the interview! Having had the great fortune to play Askernish several years ago, accompanied by Ralph, I've been lucky to hear much of the story of the club from the Chairman himself, but to hear even more about the course has proved fascinating and I cant wait to return!

Phil M,

As a course that is off the usual tourist trail the one thing going against it is the lack of other great courses nearby in the way that Machrihanish also has Mach Dunes nearby or that Bandon has a whole bunch of courses on site. That does make it somewhat of a special pilgrimage to play there. However, I've always been one to encourage tourists to smell the flowers and experience the culture while visiting an area, so while you could nip in and out to get the great experience of playing the course, you would miss the magic of the endless white sand beaches, hearing corncrake (I wish!), watching sea eagles soaring over Beinn Mhor, tasting the peat smoked salmon, visiting Callanish, Dun Carloway Broch or staying in the Gearannan blackouses over on Lewis, or any number of amazing experiences of the beautiful and remote Western Isles.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 09:20:10 PM »
How difficult is it to do say Machrihanish, the Machrie and Askernish travel-wise?

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 03:33:47 AM »
Jud,

Now that would make a great trip, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there in the Hebrides has considered putting something together as a package, but the easy answer to your question, is its difficult!

However, it does depend on your resources and what you are after:

- A helicopter would buzz you between them easily  ;D
- Islay has a small airport, as does Cambletown (near Machrinhanish) and Benbecula (next island up from South Uist and joined by a causeway road), the problem is there aren't many internal flights so it would be almost easier to return to Glasgow after each round?
- You could fly to Cambletown, play Machrihanish, get a ferry to Islay for the Machrie, fly back to Glasgow and then fly out to Askernish?
- You could hire a car, drive round the Mull of Kintyre to Machrihanish, get a ferry to Islay to play Machrie, ferry back to mainland then drive to Oban to get the ferry to the Outer Hebrides and play Askernish. On the way you will get to experience the beautiful country better than all that flying, but you will need at least a week due to driving distances, catching ferries and taking time to experience the place.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Alexander

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 07:15:32 AM »
I visited Askernish a couple of years ago for Golf Illustrated. It was a fantastic trip. Best of all, I was accompanied by Gordon and Martin which gave me the inside story for my article (an excerpt of which you can read on my blog - http://markalexanderphotography.blogspot.co.uk)

Adam is spot on - the land and the layout stir your golfing soul like a sweet, intoxicating dram of whisky. There are no half-way houses, cross-cut fairways or ornate tee markers. This is golf in its truest form and the men behind it should complimented on their dedication and determination which has created an extraordinary golfing experience.

If you are intrigued by the history of this wonderful game, there are few places in the world that can transport you back to the time of Old Tom Morris. Askernish is certainly one, and is arguably the nearest thing we have to a golfing time machine, which is a remarkable achievement.

To give you a flavour of the course, here is a link to the shots I took during my visit - http://www.markalexanderphotography.co.uk/Askernish/

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
Would the logistics work for a buda here? 

Philip Gawith

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »
Fabulous pictures Mark!

jkinney

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Thank you, Ran.... Aisgernis (the Gaelic spelling) is one of the really joyful places to which i could ever imagine going......and so my wife & I go every August for the Open Weekend. I knew as soon as I first read about it in 2010 that I had to become a part of Aisgernis' resurrection/restoration. I called Ralph and offered to put funds into the construction. The Committee wanted to rebuild the 17th green, and so in my funds went. In return I was granted a hereditary life membership - in all my golfing life the receipt of which I am the happiest and most proud.

Aisgernis and its surroundings on South Uist are marvelous, as are its people. Aye.

And the voyage there is not arduous. It's 35 minutes in the air from Glasgow, and the flight leaves a couple of hours after one arrives from Newark. You should all go there at least once.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back