News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Golf Architecture - Art versus Science
« on: August 14, 2003, 10:30:20 AM »
Just curious to see what folks think - how much of golf architecture today is art versus science/engineering?

I'll take a crack and say that it's 25% art and 75% science.   Things like drainage, environmental concerns, turfgrass, and "USGA Specs" seem to have made today's architect more of a engineer than an artist.  Heck, I think Mr. Doak and Mr. Hanse went to Cornell!

I'll also hazard a guess that the Golden Age architects were 50% art, 50% science.

I wonder how the greats of the Golden Age would handle today's engineering/science problems?

Marty Bonnar

Re:Golf Architecture - Art versus Science
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 10:41:12 AM »
Dan
I'm not so sure that there is only one blend of skills that a GCArchie could have which would make him/her any more capable than another with a different blend. Imagine if all GCArchies, like any other, let's call them, 'creative' people, had only one stregth or one group of strengths. What a boring collection of identical golf courses/buildings/sculptures/paintings/urban spaces....we'd have!
Sure, there are obvious candidates in Landscape/Turf Science/Agronomy, but I'd say the 'scientific' stuff has to be equally balanced with Design Ability/Knowledge of History/Knowledge of Golf.
The 'X' Factor definitely comes into play too. The Love of the Game, the ability to 'see' golf holes, and so on...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 11:28:54 AM »
Golf Course Architecture is an art. The science is embedded within and should no more be evident than special effects in the movies — the technology behind the effect should not dwarf the story line and the thrill.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 01:02:36 PM »
.... the technology behind the effect should not dwarf the story line and the thrill.

I Love that quote!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back