News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Tang

Crail +
« on: July 16, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
I will be visiting Scotland for the first time July 18 to 30,  playing many of the usual suspects along the east coast.  One course I'm playing, but know little about, is Crail.  I would love to hear people's thoughts on the course.

Also, I should have time for an additional two rounds in the St. Andrews area.  Outside of TOC and Kingsbarns, what two courses should I play within a two hours drive of St. Andrews.

Thanks in advance.

Niall C

Re: Crail +
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
Forfar, shouldn't be missed whenever in Scotland.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
Jim,

While there are many worthy, my favorite is Lundin Links (see the course profile in Courses by Country). It's an Old Tom Morris & James Braid design. Hard by Largo Bay, it's approximately a one hour ride from St. Andrews and very cool, rumpled fairway links course that's highly enjoyable!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
Two hours takes you quite a distance, up past Aberdeen and down Edinburgh way.

Also, is Kingsbarns actually worth playing in preference to some of the others courses at St Andrews?

Enjoy yourself wherever you play and give us your thoughts afterwards.

All the best.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »
Jim...

Here's a write up I did on Crail Balcomie a few years back.

http://mrpgolf.com/crail-balcomie

One of the best golfing days of my life.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »
Jim...

Here's a write up I did on Crail Balcomie a few years back.

http://mrpgolf.com/crail-balcomie

One of the best golfing days of my life.

+8

We played it last week, had a group of eight over. Did Jubilee in the morning and Crail Balcomie in the afternoonn. Most guys would have rather done 36 at Crail. The pro, Graeme Lennie, was a great help. Set us up for lunch and dinner in a small room with a great view.

The course was in very good shape and the greens were some of the fastest we putted on all week. We all had a great time there. I would not miss this course, while short it has some good holes and great views. The pars threes are long and demand nice shots. The last five holes are just neat.

Do not miss the chance to play there.

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »
Crail + ELIE is my answer. If you ask the starter nicely, you can have a look through the WWII-era submarine periscope in the hut. On a clear day you might be able to catch some free Open action at Muirfield.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 02:39:48 PM »
I haven't been to Forfar, so I have missed something on numerous occasions.

I'd put Elie down as the first choice.  After that, if you want to stay within an hour's drive of St. Andrews, I would go with the New or Jubilee courses or with Lundin Links -- all solid 5's on the Doak scale. 

If you want to expand to two hours out because you are heading in/out of town, then Royal Aberdeen or Cruden Bay or North Berwick or Gullane #1 or The Renaissance Club are all better than the second choice above.  But I don't know that I would drive from St. Andrews to play them and return to St. Andrews the same night -- except for North Berwick, if you haven't been there before.

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »
Here are a few ideas:

If you do not have golf on arrival day consider playing the New at Twilight.  I have always been jacked up to play on arrival day and found a brisk walk to be a great way to help you get to sleep the first night.  The advantage of the New is that you can see the Old for many of the outgoing holes and the evening sunlight is magical if you get a nice day.  Many years ago you could just walk on the first tee of the New but I think that has changed significantly.

Consider getting one of the Links Trust multiday passes if you are staying in St. Andrews and are scheduled to play 18 a day.  The days are long enough and the courses are easy enough to walk that you will have time for bonus golf.  I recall the rates being pretty reasonable and flexible.

If you want to play an inland course, consider Ladybank.  Nothing spactacular but nearby and a pleasant break from playing in wind.

Musselburgh is a decent option.  They rent hickories and gutties (I think) if you want to give that type of golf a try.

You also might want to consider a bonus round at any of the biggies.  I have not regretted it when I have done it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »
If you want a taste of the old and the new, play 36 at Crail, it's a good day.  The old is the Balcomie, a really good links with a stunning set of par 3s, and stout par 4s down on the beach.  The new is the Crail Craighead course designed by Gil Hanse.  It is a stern test but some cool holes incorporating old walls.

Another excellent 36 hole day is Leven and Lundin, two classics that used to be one out and back 18 with a clubhouse at each end!

I agree with Tom Doak's recommendation of Elie, 16 par 4s, all different from the others.  It's fun to play right through the town.  There's a pub on the street to the left of #4 in case you develop a thirst.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:02:47 PM by Bill_McBride »

Keith Phillips

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 03:59:44 PM »
Agree with Bill - 36 at Crail is a great day, and easy on the wallet - the Craighead course is well done and Balcomie is great fun - some of my favorite golfing days have been spent at Crail.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »
Southwest of St. Andrews, in order:

Kingsbarns
Elie
Leven
Lundin
Ladybank
Crail (Balcomie)

Northeast of St. Andrews, in order:

Carnoustie
Panmure
Forfar
Monifieth
Scotscraig
Carnoustie (Burnside)

Both directions are about equal in terms of quality, but everybody takes the Southwest route and the Northeast route contains both the best golf course between Dornoch and East Lothian as well as some truly hidden gems.

Your choice.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
Unless you've already spent a lot of time in St Andrews don't overlook, The New, The Eden and The Himalayas.  Three memeborable courses for £100 and more time in the town.  I belive the Jubilee is worth seeing once too. ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jim Tang

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
Thanks guys, great info.  First time in Scotland, so yeah, I'm jacked.

I already have a round booked at Crail.  I am also playing many of the big name coures such as Royal Aberdeen, Dornoch, Cruden Bay, TOC....But I want to mix in some lower profile courses as well.  North Berwick is very tempting.

I will be attempting to walk on at TOC.  Advice/suggestions?  How early do I need to get there?

Steve Kline

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
I've played Crail Balcomie on two different trips. Both times it was an absolute blast. It's short, but really windy. So, it's all about controlling your ball. And, as someone else already mentioned the last five holes are really cool.

I'm in the minority on this site I think in that I did not care for Craighead.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
Thanks guys, great info.  First time in Scotland, so yeah, I'm jacked.

I already have a round booked at Crail.  I am also playing many of the big name coures such as Royal Aberdeen, Dornoch, Cruden Bay, TOC....But I want to mix in some lower profile courses as well.  North Berwick is very tempting.

I will be attempting to walk on at TOC.  Advice/suggestions?  How early do I need to get there?

Jim, do not miss North Berwick.  It is not missable. Play it on arrival day and then only 2 hrs to St Andrews.  If you want more, nearby Dunbar is a great links that doesn't get enough attention. 

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 07:19:51 PM »
Within 2 hours of St Andrews and given some of the others you already have booked:

I would strongly suggest breaking up the 2 hour limit and go for North Berwick!  Otherwise

Muirfield
Carnoustie
Carnoustie Burnside
St Andrews New

I don't know it, but Elie would be high on my list.  If money is no object, Kingsbarns looks good.  If the Castle Course has been worked on and money isn't not a worry, its good. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Doug Siebert

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »
Here are a few ideas:

If you do not have golf on arrival day consider playing the New at Twilight.  I have always been jacked up to play on arrival day and found a brisk walk to be a great way to help you get to sleep the first night.  The advantage of the New is that you can see the Old for many of the outgoing holes and the evening sunlight is magical if you get a nice day.  Many years ago you could just walk on the first tee of the New but I think that has changed significantly.

Both times I've gone over we left from Chicago in the late evening and arrived in Edinburgh late morning, then drove to St. Andrews.  It works well for me to avoid jet lag on such trips by not sleeping on the plane (not that I could get much sleep unless I upgraded to seats that were lie-flat or nearly so)  Between staying up all night, the travel hassles, then negotiating stuff like driving on the wrong side of the road through roundabouts fatigue begins to catch up with me unless I keep moving.

The Jubilee and Eden are a perfect distraction, and a great way of getting yourself into the links golf mindset on courses that are not terribly demanding.  I played the former on my first visit, the latter on my second.  Starting around 3 or 4 pm local time I was able to easily walk on and join up with some locals who were happy to help direct me around the course, kept me entertained with their tales, and let me know where the best pubs were located (and in one case practically forced me into their car to take to me to one to treat me to a couple pints then dropped me back at my hotel)  These guys love it when Americans come in interested in doing something more than knocking out as many Open rota courses as they can manage in a week.

I also agree with Tony Muldoon that the Himalayas is a must play.  It's a putting green that is a more interesting golf course than half the actual golf courses in the United States...what more could you want?
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 09:51:04 PM »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Chris Oldham

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 10:46:41 PM »
Having just played Crail last week, I can say that it was one of the most interesting courses I played in the St. Andrews area.  The par 3's were diverse and challenging - particularly the 214 yd. uphill par 3 13th, followed by the 147 yd. downhill 14th.  4 and 5 are marvelous cape holes that generally play into a prevailing wind - be careful what line you choose to take as the winds are often stronger than they seem. There is enough diversity in the course architecture to keep the play both challenging and interesting.

On a side note, I had often heard Crail referred to as a "poor man's Kingsbarns".  Personally, while I enjoyed Kingsbarns, I found Crail to be a better "Scottish" golf experience.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 11:11:06 PM »
Chris, nice first post on GCA!

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 01:40:55 AM »

We got there at something like 5 and were 26th and 27th in line.  That was a few years ago but I would be there earlier than 5.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 02:47:49 AM »

We got there at something like 5 and were 26th and 27th in line.  That was a few years ago but I would be there earlier than 5.

I've walked on four times over the years.  Never arrived before 11 am and got on all four times within an hour or two.  There seem to be more 2 and 3 balls out from noon onwards that you are likely to be paired with.  Check the Ballot online the day before to see what time the likely openings are.  People who line up at 5 am are unlikely to wait around until noon or 2 pm to go out (at least in my limited experience).  Don't forget to check the "Busy Dates" link on the web site to make sure the course is available the day you want to play.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 04:46:41 AM »
I have spent a lot of time at Crail and adore it.... Along with the Eden, it is my evening round first choice for the area...

Crail has some cracking holes (favourites being 2,4,8,9,11,13,16) and some interesting greens... It is full of fun.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 04:50:42 AM »
+1 on North Berwick.  It's a can't miss from an architecture and history perspective.  Also +1 on Crail.  It's a golfing roller coaster, especially if the wind is howling, which is likely.

As for walking on TOC, my sense is that it can vary greatly from day to day.  I've done it twice, including just a few weeks ago (July 4), when I was 12th on the list upon arriving at about 6 AM to meet the Hundred Hole Hike crew.  Brought my friend by around 7:45 AM (there were still fewer than 30 names on the list at that point, including those who'd already gone out) and the starter got us out together at 8:50 AM, which was a very lucky break from what I could gather.

St. Andrews gets busiest, though, starting in mid-July, so to avoid missing out (or an extremely long wait), I'd go with Bill's advice and arrive by 5 AM.  There's daylight, so consider bringing something to read.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back