News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Book

New Seabury Blue / Ocean?
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:35:33 PM »
In between what has become nearly a full time job of watching youth sports on what I believe is almost every weekend of the year.  I find myself day dreaming of the next boys trip.  With a trip to Bandon already booked and paid for in the fall of this year, my attention turns to thoughts of next year.  It looks llke a trip to Mass. to play at Crumpin Fox, Taconic, and New Seabury Blue.  Our crew remains a slave to the "list" in the hopes of playing the Top 100 You Can Play.  I realize that this trip would require us to cross cross across the state and would have to include a trip to Fenway.  I have been able to find little info regarding New Seabury Blue which I believe is now called New Seabury Ocean.  My impression is that when our list ,2002, was generated New Seabury was dubbed one of the many Pebble Beach of "fill in the blank".  Has anyone played it recently?  Do you have to stay on property to play?  From what I can tell there is very little info on GCA or the net?  Any help would be great.

Bill_McBride

Re: New Seabury Blue / Ocean?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:31:34 PM »
I was taken out there as a guest by some vendors about 20 years ago.  The course was okay but would have been a tame pussycat without the strong breeze (20-30 knots) off the ocean.   It's pretty flat.  The holes into the wind played forever, you couldn't keep the ball on the greens downwind. 

I would much prefer to wangle my way onto Eastward Ho if I were out on the cape to play one round. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »
I was taken out there as a guest by some vendors about 20 years ago.  The course was okay but would have been a tame pussycat without the strong breeze (20-30 knots) off the ocean.   It's pretty flat.  The holes into the wind played forever, you couldn't keep the ball on the greens downwind. 

I would much prefer to wangle my way onto Eastward Ho if I were out on the cape to play one round. 

Bill's take is on the money. The Ocean Course was always closed to the public from 6/1 through Labor Day although that may have changed. I always thought the club itself and the amenities were better than the golf course.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM »
I played New Seabury (Blue/Ocean) three times in the New England College Golf Championships more than 25 years ago

"The course was okay but would have been a tame pussycat without the strong breeze (20-30 knots) off the ocean." don't worry about this...20-30 mph is the norm.  And when you play it over 40...look out.

It's a bit of misnomer to say "Ocean" because only the front nine is on the Ocean, the back nine is carves its way up and through the pine bluffs/housing development Northeast of the Front side.  and is by no means flat. You get tired of the 45 degree dog legs by #18, but #11 - #14 are a fun but demanding stretch.

In between, is the Green or what we used to call the short course.  In many ways, the short course is the equal of the bigger Blue, but in a more frustrating way as you can't really rip at the short 4s because the penalties for miss are severe.  I'm not talking about OB or regular hazard I'm talking about the infamous "ironweeds" that are dotted just 10-25 yards in the rough and tree line.  They are about 1-2" feet tall and absolutely unmovable if your ball goes near.

All in all, it's a nice destination and makes for a fun touring visit.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »
Vinnie, those holes must have been boring, I have no recollection of any of them!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back