News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Pebble Beach GL: New green at #9, new tee box for #10
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:08:38 AM »
Has anyone played Pebble since the 9th green was redone or this new tee was added at #10? What say ye?

Previous 9th green:

New green (photo from Matt Bosela):

#10 at PBGL from the traditional tees...

And the new "Palmer" tees (photo posted on the NCGA Facebook page).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:14:06 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Ronald Montesano

Re: Pebble Beach GL: New green at #9, new tee box for #10
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:18:44 PM »
yay...augusta national on west coast at 9th green.

Like the new tee, as long as the other tee isn't gone...hate the sand in the bunker at 9.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
yay...augusta national on west coast at 9th green.

Like the new tee, as long as the other tee isn't gone...hate the sand in the bunker at 9.

Just curious if you have played it or is this based on pictures.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 12:14:32 AM »
The view from the new 10th tee is quite similar to the way right tee on 4 at Pacific Dunes with that cool angle over the cliff and beach. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »
Just from the pictures...

The scalloped left side of 9 green looks hideous.  and the internal contours look arbitrary. Losing one of the great greens in golf.  What a pity.

The Old Old 10th tee was located at a similar angle. You can see a curve cut out on the very left side of photo. Thats where it was. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
Adam, did they scallop it or did they just regain lost green space there? I thought the same thing until I looked at the two pictures more closely...Hard to tell.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 12:08:45 PM by Sean Leary »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »
Sean, From my memory (and from the picture) the left side was a fairly straight edge coming off the small hill. Yes, there's those little hillocks on top that look a little scallopy, but as I recall it, it was relatively smoothish and served as an aiming spot to be used as a nice kick plate, on the slope leading down to the green's edge. (see how str8 the green's edge is in old pic) With the new scalloping, covered in long rough, the kick will likely be more of a thud, neither useful, or, desirable. Unless of course you land long on the leeward side where, if it's firm enough, will propel you over the back into just a horrible spot. A disproportionate penalty for having risked successfully the challenge of the fronting left bunker and barranca.  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:59:34 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:11:47 AM »
Sean, From my memory (and from the picture) the left side was a fairly straight edge coming off the small hill. Yes, there's those little hillocks on top that look a little scallopy, but as I recall it, it was relatively smoothish and served as an aiming spot to be used as a nice kick plate, on the slope leading down to the green's edge. (see how str8 the green's edge is in old pic) With the new scalloping, covered in long rough, the kick will likely be more of a thud, neither useful, or, desirable. Unless of course you land long on the leeward side where, if it's firm enough, will propel you over the back into just a horrible spot. A disproportionate penalty for having risked successfully the challenge of the fronting left bunker and barranca.  

If this is the case then I certainly agree, but based on the photos it's almost impossible to figure out what's going on. At the same time the increased size of the green by the bunker means they can put a pin behind the bunker, which with todays soft conditions at Pebble (usually), could make the hole play a bit better.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
Based on the photos only: instant dislike for the new green (I've always hated ridges/mounds that attempt to blend into the contour of the green), instant love for the new tee.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

David Bartman

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
Does anyone know if they changed the grass on the green or simply pulled the old sod up re-contoured and put the old sod back down with poa patching where appropriate?
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 07:31:34 PM »
Pebble has had more facelifts than Joan Rivers AND Medinah put together. Sacred ground it ain't.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »
Unfortunately this is the only picture of the green that I grabbed from the Nicklaus-Snead SWWOG.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matthew Essig

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »
New green (photo from Matt Bosela):

Unfortunately this is the only picture of the green that I grabbed from the Nicklaus-Snead SWWOG.

I think this proves they just took back what was lost.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Nick Church

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 02:38:10 PM »
Instantly reminded of Bay Hill when I saw this picture of PB 9th.

Will Lozier

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 10:28:20 PM »
Yuk on #9 green - looks like they lowered the lip and the resultant slope behind to create one or two new pin positions.  Bunker looks horrible!  Palmer right?  Love the idea of the new tee on #10.  Does it look like that tee existed previously...in Snead screen shot?!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 02:40:00 AM »
Here is Snead on the 10th tee...only pic I have of that shot.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jim Nelson

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 10:51:23 AM »
Why did they change #9 green?
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 11:46:06 AM »
One of those tough ones.  I am with Rick in the love the tee, not so much on the green.

That said, the new pin on the left is probably pretty good to play, even if the mounding and green shape scream modern rather than traditional.  So, it may be improved play at the expense of reduced looks.   

Also, does anyone have the original photos of PB? It could very well be that the green looked more like that in shape at one time, although the existing mounds suggest it wouldn't have been quite that dramatic as 3 lobe green.

BTW, that sand is probably the same in both pix, with the tan color just coming from a few years of wind blown silt.  I would bet the new sand will weather to the same color.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Josh Bills

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
Also, does anyone have the original photos of PB?

Here's an old image of the 7th from the Library of Congress, certainly those bunkers do not look modern. Couldn't find one of the 9th, but these bunkers look a lot better.   

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »
Josh, I've often wished to find photos of more of the course from around the time that photo of the 7th was taken. The bunkering around the green is almost duneslike. I think it would be very interesting to see what things look like on 6 or 8, and also the inland holes. But I have not seen such photos.

Josh Bills

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
Matthew,

Here is a link to a photo of what appears to the be the 6th hole from the 13th(?) from 1929.  I am new to posting and couldn't figure out how to post this one yet. 
http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/golfd/article/1929julcv.pdf

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 02:58:53 AM »
Josh,

The picture you posted is from after Egan renovated the course and surrounded several of the greens with "faux dunes." Today, the surrounds of the 4th and 7th greens retain some vestiges of that renovation, but it's difficult to see elsewhere.

Here's a look at Egans 4th green complex from yesteryear:

I took this shot of #4 a few months ago.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John Percival

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 11:10:29 PM »
A few more tweaks and Arnie's gonna have the entire course looking like Orlando.
Love 10 tee. Really love the old pic of #4 with the scraggled sand. A maintenance nightmare, but cool to the eye and a formidable short game foe.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back