News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

So I decide to try to go back to
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:17:01 PM »
the short putter the other day.

I used a putter with the exact same head as my long putter to try to make the transition as seamless as possible.

I putted surprisingly well using a "pencil" grip with my right hand,  on a super fat grip.

I knocked a 10 footer in for birdie on the first hole I played and thought, "hey, why did I switch in the first place ?"

But, it became apparent as the round progressed, that I switched to gain confidence on short putts.
And while I made them regularly, I didn't have nearly the confidence that I have with my long putter.

Now, I'm faced with a decision, continue with "A" short putter, or go back to my long putter until January 1, 2016?

What are other long putter users doing ?

Bob_Garvelink

Re: So I decide to try to go back to
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »
Pat,

Take your long putter and throw it in the lake.  Don't be a cheater!!!! :)
"Pure Michigan"

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »
I use the Ping Hohum in the long putter and recently bought the Hohum in the 35 inch model and had it regripped with a Superstroke Fatso. The fat grip takes the hands out of it and the shoulders must keep moving. It starts the ball on line and works well on short to mid length putts but I struggle with distance control on longer putts. I'm in no rush to switch back to a short putter but want to try out different alternatives before 2016.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:03:54 PM »
I am continuing to use the long putter, but when time permits I am practicing using it (broomstick) without anchoring it. I've found it works well if my left hand is placed fairly lightly on the top just to keep it steady. The right hand does most of the work. I'm not as good with it as I am with the anchored method, but I tried the short putter and it was awful so I expect I'll use some kind of odd method in 2016, but I have plenty of time to figure out exactly what. I think the non-anchored long putter is a realistic option.

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:05:07 PM »
Take a look at the Heavy Putter original series.Cured my short putt issues twice

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 07:46:49 PM »
I use the Ping Hohum in the long putter and recently bought the Hohum in the 35 inch model and had it regripped with a Superstroke Fatso. The fat grip takes the hands out of it and the shoulders must keep moving. It starts the ball on line and works well on short to mid length putts but I struggle with distance control on longer putts. I'm in no rush to switch back to a short putter but want to try out different alternatives before 2016.

Bill,

A friend of mine, who's an exceptional long putter, uses the Ping Hohum.

That's the centershafted putter, isn't it ?

I really like the super fat grips on short putts, but, can see that I need work on judging distance with it on long putts.

The quest continues

Good luck and keep me posted on any discoveries.

Bob,

Until 01-01-16, using the long putter isn't cheating.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
Pat,

As I've mentioned here before, I stopped anchoring my long putter last fall in anticipation of the ruling, and I'm putting better now than I did last year. Simply hold your forearm away from your chest and initiate the swing with your right hand.

It is definitely a swing. It is not churning butter. It is not shuffleboard. And it will work for almost everyone who uses a long putter. I predict it will become the method of choice for most who use a long putter.

And then the USGA will ban the long putter itself.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
Pat,

As I've mentioned here before, I stopped anchoring my long putter last fall in anticipation of the ruling, and I'm putting better now than I did last year. Simply hold your forearm away from your chest and initiate the swing with your right hand.

It is definitely a swing. It is not churning butter. It is not shuffleboard. And it will work for almost everyone who uses a long putter. I predict it will become the method of choice for most who use a long putter.

Rick, by the time that happens, I'll be 80 and won't be able to remember my scores  ;D

David Bartman

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »
Sticking with long putter until at least the middle of 2015

Was down at Taylormade a few weeks ago and they are really excited about putting a lot of weight in the grip of the putter , having the putter being just short of a belly , giving the feeling of the anchored pendulum. 

http://www.golf.com/equipment/counterbalanced-golf-putters-alternative-anchored-putters
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:18:28 PM by David Bartman »
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »
I switched from a Cameron 50" Komi to a Cameron GoLo 5 35" with a super stroke 3.0 grip and surprisingly haven't missed a beat. I figured with the rule change I might as well.  The fat grip makes all the difference in the world.  As the season progresses my short putts have gotten better but certainly not the automatic they were seemingly with the long putter.  However overall I am putting better than ever.

Dan

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:23:35 PM »
Pat,
Go "Kuchar".
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »
So if Pat or anyone else finds a similar method within the new rules, or weighted end of putter , or something else that helps him with whatever ails him, doesn't that meant the USGA ruling is total bullshit and a waste of time?
...particularly while other technology innovations cause actual (or perceived) changes to our fields of play?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »
So if Pat or anyone else finds a similar method within the new rules, or weighted end of putter , or something else that helps him with whatever ails him, doesn't that meant the USGA ruling is total bullshit and a waste of time?

NO

...particularly while other technology innovations cause actual (or perceived) changes to our fields of play?

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
Pat,

this is essentially what I have always done with my long putter, as it has never been anchored.  Hold the butt of the club 2 inches away from my chest, start the swing, and let the putter do the rest.  But it never fails, whenever I play with someone they ask what am I going to do, and they don't quite understand that the method in which I putt will not be outlawed with the new ruling.  I anticipate a long 2016 of explaining.

Paul Jones

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 11:27:02 PM »
Pat,

I been having a long putter for a very long time.  I keep it in my office and only take it out when I start putting bad.  I practice with the long putter and it almost always fixes my stroke.  I will never get rid of it, but then again, I never use it when I play.

The longer putter and short putter are the same models, just long putter head is bigger.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 07:29:03 AM »
1. Two Thumb grip

2. Hammy

3. Face On

4. Budweiser
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bill Gayne

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 10:30:48 AM »

Bill,

A friend of mine, who's an exceptional long putter, uses the Ping Hohum.

That's the centershafted putter, isn't it ?

I really like the super fat grips on short putts, but, can see that I need work on judging distance with it on long putts.

The quest continues

Good luck and keep me posted on any discoveries.

Bob,

Until 01-01-16, using the long putter isn't cheating.

Center shafted with a slight forward press built in.

Jim Nelson

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 10:46:06 AM »
I used a long putter for a long time, probably 7 years.  Having used a variety of heads, I finally settled on the SC Combi as I had the best feel and believe the pendulum method of putting works better with a heavier head.  Makes sense to me anyway.  The key part is I have always used a traditional grip with my right hand, that is I basically hold the grip in a similar manner that I would with the regular putter with my right hand.  The fingers were very light with most of the pressure and feel coming from the forefinger and thumb.

When I transitioned to a Newport Studio Select 34", for the first couple of weeks I had no, I repeat no, feeling on long putts.  Not a clue.  Then a friend said I should press it forward a little and suddenly I had the AHA moment.  By applying the same pressure with my right forefinger and thumb as I had with the long putter, I regained a sense of feel again and have putted at least, if not better, than I did with the long putter. I feel my short putts are better which runs counter to the whole argument.   People ask me why I switched to a regular putter.  My reply?  Game was getting too easy.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

JSlonis

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
the short putter the other day.

I used a putter with the exact same head as my long putter to try to make the transition as seamless as possible.

I putted surprisingly well using a "pencil" grip with my right hand,  on a super fat grip.

I knocked a 10 footer in for birdie on the first hole I played and thought, "hey, why did I switch in the first place ?"

But, it became apparent as the round progressed, that I switched to gain confidence on short putts.
And while I made them regularly, I didn't have nearly the confidence that I have with my long putter.

Now, I'm faced with a decision, continue with "A" short putter, or go back to my long putter until January 1, 2016?

What are other long putter users doing ?

Pat,

Last September, after 18 years with the long putter, I switched back to the shorty. Like you, I'm using the "pencil" grip in the right hand. I really haven't had any issues adjusting. I'm making more medium length putts with the short putter, and I've been solid on short putts. The only area that took a little work was getting speed/touch on longer lag putts.

This year, I've been using the Odyssey Tank #7 model with a Superstroke Mid Slim grip and have been putting very well. The Tank model is heavier than a standard putter and for me it's easier to stroke smoothly. I truly think the Tank models are the easiest putter to use for guys converting from the long putter. We are used to the added weight with the long putters and are able to transfer that feel to this particular short putter better than a lighter version. I know Odyssey is coming out with a 2Ball and an Anser style soon.

Good luck!

J

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
Jamie,

Today I tried myu Abaco putter with an oversized Shark grip with very good results.

I've always been a decent medium to long range putter.  My Achilles heel was putts of 3 feet or less.

So, I tried putting short putts with my pointing finger of my right hand down the shaft

I feel very relaxed and confident, but, will that hold up under pressure, when it counts ?

Only time will tell.

P.S.  When are we going to get together with Jason and the Schmereschmucker, aka "red" at Tavistock ?

Ken Moum

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 02:18:39 AM »
Jamie,

Today I tried myu Abaco putter with an oversized Shark grip with very good results.

I've always been a decent medium to long range putter.  My Achilles heel was putts of 3 feet or less.

So, I tried putting short putts with my pointing finger of my right hand down the shaft

I feel very relaxed and confident, but, will that hold up under pressure, when it counts ?

Only time will tell.

P.S.  When are we going to get together with Jason and the Schmereschmucker, aka "red" at Tavistock ?

Someone else mentioned Kuchar.  Well, just this week I took a 43" face balanced putter and bent the shaft so the shaft was well ahead of the club head and tried the "arm lock" technique.

It is remarkably easy to use.  As a long putter user, you should already be used to making a long stroke on long putts, which throws so people.

One thing to consider, fitting one of these is kind of "fussy" in that you need to get the shaft lean adjusted so that you can use a ball position you like. The putter I used has a shaft that's easy to bend, so I took it to the putting green and just kept bending it until I liked the setup.

I suspect on of the Rife 2-Bar models with the adjustable hosel might be a good one to try. They also have adjustable weighting, which is another part of fitting.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
It looks like Phil Mickelson is not using the pencil grip this week at Castle Stuart. He does have one of those super-size grips on his putter.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
Ken,
I mentioned Kuchar because I cannot believe how easy it is to make a good stroke with his method. I too bent a putter to fit and immediately drained 9 out of 10 ten footers, and that was with a right handed putter (I'm a lefty).

When the day comes that I'm not happy with my usual approach I will definitely "Go Kuchar".  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »
Mickelson has been using the Superstroke Fatso for a while now with a conventional grip - apparently it is working. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back