News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Bunkers at Pete Dye Course at Virginia Tech
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »
I played at Virginia Tech this last week and found the bunkering pretty interesting.  Many of the bunkers were small and rectangular.
I'd say 8' by 3'.  Has he done this at any other courses?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:43:20 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wade Whitehead

Re: Bunkers at Pete Dye Course at Virginia Tech
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »
Tommy:

The River Course has some of the smallest bunkers I've ever seen.  They weren't there before Mr. Dye redid it.

The last time I played my partner hit into one that was so small he couldn't stand in the bunker.  Dimensions were literally too small to allow a player to stand in the sand to address his ball.

I've heard that some of the bunkers at Whistling Straits are equally minute, though I haven't seen them myself.

WW

Matt Kardash

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 07:39:12 PM »
How was the course?
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:24:32 PM »
Matt, it is really good.  The greens complexes are interesting and varied.  It has very little elevation change but it doesn't feel flat because of the movement on the fairways.  From the back tees it is 7500 yards.  I played it at about 6500 and was all I needed.  The day I played it was pretty wet. The course had about 7 inches of rain in the preceding week.  I'd like to go back when it is a little firmer.  I enjoyed the course even if the bunkers were a little goofy looking.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Josh Tarble

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 10:25:09 PM »
There are a few like that at the Brickyard Crossing. I can't recall others but feel like I've seen some on other Dye courses.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »
Isn't there a pretty wee one front right of the green on the 9th at TPC? Plus, of course, there's that one on the 17th island. I believe I recall one really, really miniscule one in front of a green on one of Mark's splendid photo tours, say 2-3 months ago. Can't recall which course, Florida way I think. The bunker was so small it was zit like.
ATB

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 09:10:32 AM »
Isn't there a pretty wee one front right of the green on the 9th at TPC? Plus, of course, there's that one on the 17th island. I believe I recall one really, really miniscule one in front of a green on one of Mark's splendid photo tours, say 2-3 months ago. Can't recall which course, Florida way I think. The bunker was so small it was zit like.
ATB

The bunker int he photos above is one of Petes really small bunkers. The ones at TPC, named above, a golfer can stand in with both feet. There are a few bunkers at Colleton River Club where, regardless of how you lay the rake, both ends are outside the bunker.

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Carl Rogers

Re: Bunkers at Pete Dye Course at Virginia Tech New
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 03:12:36 PM »
I have played there once, good value, stunning views as the New River is a lateral on about 8 holes, figure 8 routing on both nines.  I see it as Virginia Tech's entry into big time NCAA golf.  Extremely mean course when played at the back back tees.

I want to go back, but live at the other end of the state.

Do not go anywhere near Blacksburg  - Radford on the weekend of a Virginia Tech home football game!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:08:25 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back