News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Pont

Re: Swinkelsche photo tour
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »
Looks excellent...interesting and fun.  I love the colors of the fescues!  Curious if 13 green is as severe as it looks and if you have any concerns about playability?  Thanks Frank.

Cheers

Green 13 is extreme if you play at it with the wrong club from the wrong direction. If you have a look at the stroke saver you will see that the green is quite narrow the more you play the hole from the left. However if your drive is long enough it is possible. I played with a Dutch tour player recently and he hit driver wedge playing straight. But it was wind still and he was lucky with his wedge shot (it almost rolled off). The best angle is from the right, as close to bunkers as you dare to play. From there you have a  lot more green to work with, and its possible to hold a 6-7 iron. Funny enough the green is easiest for high handicappers who play to the green in 3 shots, since they will be hitting from a lower distance from the right side of the green which gives the maximum amount of green to work with.

Frank Pont

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 03:15:51 PM »
Bump, in case any of the BUDA participants have insomnia tonight and want to have some pre game fun looking at the holes.... :)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »
Bump, in case any of the BUDA participants have insomnia tonight and want to have some pre game fun looking at the holes.... :)

Thanks for posting the recent photos. My enthusiasm to book my flights early and before all the golf was arranged means I now miss out on tomorrow's golf. Maybe next time... Anyway, the Monday-Friday line up is pretty good, so I can't complain.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 12:22:15 AM »
On our way Frank and I am really looking forward to the real thing
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Joe Perches

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 06:31:53 PM »
I don't believe I've ever seen a hole like 8 before.
It's such an unusual driving hole.

Is that right protrusion about 35 yards wide?
How many people are going to hit drives to that?

I do like that the protrusion landing area is a little disguised.
There's more of it that you might think from the tee.

What do you do on first play?

Aim at the center bunker and hope it ends up just a little short?
Aim at the waste bunker and trust it goes over?

It looks like a hard decision and maybe unforgiving too.

I like it.  Well done.

Frank Pont

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 01:30:49 AM »
I don't believe I've ever seen a hole like 8 before.
It's such an unusual driving hole.

Is that right protrusion about 35 yards wide?
How many people are going to hit drives to that?

I do like that the protrusion landing area is a little disguised.
There's more of it that you might think from the tee.

What do you do on first play?

Aim at the center bunker and hope it ends up just a little short?
Aim at the waste bunker and trust it goes over?

It looks like a hard decision and maybe unforgiving too.

I like it.  Well done.

Most people are a bit confused when they first see the hole.

Foolish longhitters try to carry the water to the peninsula. (that's me)
I have played it 5 times that way, lost 4 balls....
But if you are accurate you can go that way, it makes the second shot a lot shorter, although the angle in is less optimal due to the greenside bunker.

The patient golfer plays it as a par 5 (it is stroke 1).
He aims his drive at the second bunker left, which is risk free.
Problem is the shot into the green is long, OB all the way left and water (blind) on the right.
A scary shot for most mortals.

During our BUDA round though David Davis hit the perfect faded drive over the protusion to the 140 m mark and then hit an easy 8-7 iron in. (BUDA was playing yellow tees)

The most gutsy option is playing right of the protusion, which leaves you a wedge, but it is a hell of a tee shot to get there.

So in a fun round I try to hit the peninsula, in matchplay it depends on the score of the match and what my opponent does, and in stroke play I go left and play the hole as a par 5.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back