News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

1. Merion
2. Pebble Beach
3. TPC Sawgrass
4.  LACC
5.  SFGC
6.  Old Macdonald
7.  Whistling Straits
8.  Hazeltine
9.  Medinah #3
10.Bethpage Black

This is probably one of the most ignorant, absurd threads, containing equally ignorant, absurd replies, that I've ever seen.

On what basis would you declare that you don't want to play a course that you've never seen and have no personal experience with ?

It's got to be one of the dumbest questions ever asked on GCA.com.

Now, I can see someone stating that it's too far to travel, or too expensive, but, to dismiss a course you've never seen, on it's perceived architectural merits or demerits is beyond moronic.

JakaB,

If we were at the Playboy Mansion at a party one night, and I said to you, hey, a friend of mine's a member of LACC, let's play it tomorrow, please don't sit here and tell me that you wouldn't jump at the chance.

If you said "no",  I'd have you thrown out of the party  ;D

Pat,

Why is it commonly accepted when individuals choose to not play courses with poor reputations but then considered ignorant when I choose to not play courses with great reputations?  The choice in either instance is based completely on hearsay.

Jud_T

This is probably one of the most ignorant, absurd threads, containing equally ignorant, absurd replies, that I've ever seen.

On what basis would you declare that you don't want to play a course that you've never seen and have no personal experience with ?

It's got to be one of the dumbest questions ever asked on GCA.com.

Pat,

I've turned down invites to Shinnecock and a Pro-Am at Sea Island because the state of my game was so pathetic at the time that I knew it'd be an embarrassment to my host and no fun at all for me.  Of course that had more to do with my own incompetence than the quality of the course.  Hell I'll probably be shot on site if I ever make another appearance at Westhampton or Kingsbarns after the way I shanked it around there.  But along the same lines, I see no reason that a short-hitting mid to high handicapper should drop everything to play a course just because they've held a Major or Digest ranks it highly if they've heard from reliable sources that the course is too difficult for them or isn't likely to be their cup of tea.  Do you really want to play behind another tourist at the Old Course who shows a doctored 24 Index from his club and goes on to shoot 140?  Is it absolutely necessary for me to play every course Art Hills ever designed to make a judgement call that I just don't care to play another of his designs sight unseen?  As for Jaka's rationale I just put that down to a dark sense of humor and inbreeding.  Frankly I find this thread more refreshing than the many name-dropping threads hereabouts. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Paul OConnor

"I've turned down invites to Shinnecock and a Pro-Am at Sea Island because...  Frankly I find this thread more refreshing than the many name-dropping threads hereabouts. "

Irony? 

Jud_T

Reverse name dropping.  Perhaps we need a new thread entitled "All the Great Courses I Could've Played But Chose Not To For Various Reasons"  8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back