News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Siebert

Re: Do all the great 18th holes have lost ball potential?
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 10:16:55 PM »
I think the 18th hole should be a birdie opportunity. I don't care for the holes that you cannot birdie, but is a hard par. I was not a fan of Merion's 18th this year.

Why?  If it is a hard 4, tell yourself it is a par 5 and it is then a birdie opportunity.

I care more about the potential for a swing in strokes, without having penalty strokes be likely, or resorting to 'chop it out sideways' rough or trees.  By "likely" I mean something like those too numerous finishing holes the tour plays with water hard in front of the green and a Sunday pin position that is inevitably front just behind that water (or back left for all those holes with water running all down the left side)  Something like Pebble's 18th, I'm fine with, to end up in the ocean you have to either take a very aggressive line and fail to pull it off or hit a very bad shot - basically, if you end up there, YDI.

What you don't want to see is a finishing hole where over 90% of the golfers of a given skill level are shooting one of two numbers.  Whether those two numbers are birdie and par, or par and bogey, the hole is equally lacking in excitement as a finishing hole.  Birdies don't make a hole a good finishing hole, a range in scoring possibilities does.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Bob_Huntley

JSlonis

Re: Do all the great 18th holes have lost ball potential?
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 01:51:54 PM »
I think 18 at Winged Foot West is a great finishing hole and it would be hard to lose a ball there...mostly because they have a great caddie program as I can lose a ball on a landlocked hole with the best of them

I've never played Winged Foot but was it even possible for Phil to hit a drive as far off line as he did when losing the Open, U.S. that is.

Yes, it was possible. In fact, without the corporate tent that kicked his ball back to the tree line, that tee shot would've been even further off line. With no tent there, his tee shot would've been on the 11th hole of the East course and he would've had a good chance of getting his 2nd shot on or around the 18th green and made a bogey at worst.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back