News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Wolf Point Club: A pictorial!!! (7th hole posted)
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2013, 12:55:31 PM »

Not to mention that I think it is a particularly notable act of generosity that Kyle and Mark and others take the time from just playing their game to thoughtfully find good camera photo positions that they know will show the architectural points they will then share with this group.  Also, the time it takes to download and post the photos, which can be tedious and fussy.  So, thanks Kyle, your photos are among the best I've seen of Mike's outstanding work, and the Don's maintenance meld presentation. 

Thank you for the kind words. Philanthropy plays a small part in my efforts. I mostly do it to score with the ladies. ;)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

RJ_Daley

Re: Wolf Point Club: A pictorial!!! (7th hole posted)
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »

Not to mention that I think it is a particularly notable act of generosity that Kyle and Mark and others take the time from just playing their game to thoughtfully find good camera photo positions that they know will show the architectural points they will then share with this group.  Also, the time it takes to download and post the photos, which can be tedious and fussy.  So, thanks Kyle, your photos are among the best I've seen of Mike's outstanding work, and the Don's maintenance meld presentation. 

Thank you for the kind words. Philanthropy plays a small part in my efforts. I mostly do it to score with the ladies. ;)

;D ;D ::) Having the exact opposite body form and sense of fashion, I have never been known to have to bother to keep a score in such philanthropy, photography or philanderywith the ladies !!!  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Wolf Point Club: A pictorial!!! (9th hole posted)
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 08:39:46 PM »
A cape-ish par 5, the 9th hole will require three good shots from tee-to-green for a chance at par, for most.

The tee shot must navigate between sand left, water right, and bilateral trees to boot.

The course does have “rough” of sorts, but not enough to contain the architect.

Only the longest players will be flag hunting during phase 2. Mortals must choose their line and distance carefully when laying up, thanks to a cleverly sculpted lakeshore and inland bunkers.

This is the rare Morrow, McBride, McBride backside portrait. Taking photos during the backswing is a rotten bit of gamesmanship.

Morrow has managed to escape trouble thus far, hence his solitary state.

Phase 3 continues the high degree of challenge, with a bunker left and a shaved slope feeding shots into the lake on the right.

The approach is appropriately more inviting from closer range, but still no bargain with the wind coming hard off the lake. The lake’s edge has a naturalistic “erodedness” to it, a look I much prefer to the more manicured slopes that render most artificial lakes into eye sores by my reckoning.

Players must also contend with a false front…

…in addition to the ever-present threat of a watery grave. The architect may need bigger spikes to stand there on a wet day.

This look from behind illustrates the “sporty” pin position selected by Mr. Mahaffey.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:08:18 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Sam Morrow

Re: Wolf Point Club: A pictorial!!! (9th hole posted)
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2013, 08:47:29 PM »
That solitary picture is the background on my desktop, the Mrs. likes it because it captures my best side.

9 is a cool tee shot because the long hitter can really challenge the lake. For a shorter hitter like myself the second shot is the adventure. For my hook it's a scary lay-up between the lake and the bunkers but there is actually room over the bunkers and still be in short grass. As shown in the pictures the green has a cool false front and the right side feeding down to the water is a cool feature.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Wolf Point Club: A pictorial!!! (10th hole posted)
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2013, 09:51:16 PM »
The 10th completes our lap of the fabricated lake.

The linear nature of the water’s edge may rob this hole of some of its strategic character from the forward teeing grounds. Things are far more interesting when golfers elect to play across the corner of the lake.

The fairway is quite wide, but playing away from the lake with your first shot will bring the water more into play with the second.

Once again, the manmade fairway contours evoke the character of a classic links course.

Mahaffey’s front/right hole location is well-defended by sharp-falloffs and brings the water more into play. I can only imagine that some of the more benign pins would play nearly a stroke easier.

Cowardly approaches may backfire, leaving even more daunting recovery shots. For example, a golfer may be faced with a long chip off a tight lie to a flag perched on a volcano with water behind… Thanks, Don!

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2013, 08:43:03 AM »
This is yet another gem short par 4. It is a supremely strategic  as if the flag is left up on the knoll you can see in two of the photos, one really needs to dare a drive down the right side of the fairway bringing the water in play. Left side drives require short game genius of a most rare character in order to get the 2nd shot on, or close, as the green repels the less than very precise approach due to the greens contour and prevailling tilt; left side, right and right side, left, far right side, goodbye. You'll also be hitting the 2nd shot with the possibility of a watery result if there is any failure of technique, another reason the approach may wind up further from the hole as any overborrow from the left can lead to the ball coming off the right angling slope and rolling towards the lake. It's one of those short 4's  where you wonder how you made bogey. If memory serves, it also frequently plays into the wind, which Don told us commonly blows at 25 plus around noon most days.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2013, 10:27:34 PM »
There is plenty of room to play it out to the left, the hole locations are so varied that it really feels like an entirely different hole. The back left pin on the knob requires you to hug the lake line.  The above location is cool, I hit it within a few feet but hit it long and watched it run into trouble.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Wolf Point Club: A pictorial!!! (11th hole posted)
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »
The 11th is another medium length par 4, if you elect to tee it up near the 10th green, but the wind will probably howl directly against you.

A draw around the trees seems like the proper play, but the green is angled to accept shots from right of center

The 12th flag is visible between the trees on the left, a configuration which would work poorly on a public course but is well-suited to the “horse course” feel of Wolf Creek.

A small artificial ridgeline separates the 11th from the 12th, but this manmade feature adds some “credibility” to the hillock built next to the 5th fairway.

The 11th green features a wicked false front, as do several of its siblings on the inward stretch.

The green’s flanks will also drain the surface of water and marginal golf shots.

From port side, the complex putting ripples are prominently displayed.

Another green that warrants multiple views. Nuzzo puttin’ on a clinic!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2013, 12:25:25 AM »
As you guys can see this green has a bunch going on and have great examples of the Nuzzo rolls, it's interesting but if the pin is towards the back the miss is actually long. From the right angle this green also has a bit of a skyline going on!

Kyle Henderson

Re: Wolf Point Club: A pictorial!!! (12th hole posted)
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2013, 01:53:31 AM »
#12 is short but sweet.

The wind and ground will conspire to push your shots right.

Sand should only affect the worst of tee shots here.

This day’s front hole location invites everyone to negotiate the interceding undulations with low running shots.

Any shot that carries to this pin will likely bound to the back edge of the green.

A look back at one of the few elevated teeing grounds on the premises.

Eric Smith

« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2013, 06:09:15 AM »
Sorry to have to go back a hole, but quickly wanted to add that 11 green is one of the coolest I've seen. It is so lively that it almost appears to be breathing.

Here are a few more pics:

Garland Bayley

« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
I tried
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:59:42 PM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2013, 01:57:14 PM »
Wolf Creek POINT, guys!

I actually could not think of two more different golf courses.  ;)

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »

I'm confused. Shouldn't this say the 12th flag is visible to the left of the trees, while the 11th flag is visible in the distance through the trees,  a configuration which would work poorly on a public course but is well-suited to the “horse course” feel of Wolf Creek.

I suppose, in that picture, but look at the one above it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:14:47 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
12 Is cool because it really doesn't look like much. The ridge in the front of the green is a cool feature that kills balls but the tough thing about it is the way that once over the ridge the ball seems to get repelled long and to the right, thought you have a short club in your hand it's a very demanding shot.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »
The 11th and 12th holes share the same landform / feature / ridge and made for an efficient construction process
When playing from the regular tees on 11, carrying the trees to the 12th green is rare
It isn't an issue presently

That said, I did learn something.
Trees before cleaning & pruning look much more menacing than after.
The first time I saw them afterwards they looked like bonsai trees.
See below:

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2013, 11:25:17 PM »
Mike & Don,

I'm not very good at photo analysis, but, I am curious about the "wind" at Wolf Point.

Is the site subject to good breezes/winds ?
The "open" nature of the course, and it's proximity to the gulf, would lead me to believe that it gets decent winds

In looking at some of the photos it would appear that the prevailing wind/s is from the south and possibly from the north.

I've always felt that good winds are the icing on the cake when it comes to golf courses and architecture.

Was the routing and any of the individual holes crafted with the wind being an integral design element ?

Does the course (tactical challenge) "balance out" when the wind direction changes ?

Were any of the short holes designed into the wind with the longer holes down wind ?

If my travels take me back to Houston, I'll definitely, make the trip to Wolf Point.

David Davis

« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2013, 06:48:35 AM »
On our day we had a great breeze there that made it incredibly pleasant because it was probably 95 degrees. No clue what the wind direction was but I'm sure it was windforce 5 - 6. Which was perfect for the property and made the golf and strategy of the holes all that more enjoyable. The way the course is designed I don't think it would make a difference which direction the wind came from or if there was any at all. Especially with the flexibility to change all the tee positions to suit your playing needs.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
Hey Pat
Some general comments on Texas coastal winds:
I'm back from 2 days of watching my daughters surf windy waves near Corpus Christi.
It was windy and the waves were choppy and the kite surfers looked to be having a ball.
I once heard a quote referenced to Ben Crenshaw about the hardest course he ever played was Oso Beach in the wind (also in Corpus).

Wolf Point is between Houston and Corpus.
Don is also traveling, and far more familiar with the wind.

We spent most of our time discussing wind as it pertained to irrigation.
One of the reasons why Don is such an irrigation expert is because of his time in windy and desert environments.

As the wind pertains to design, it was my goal to have the holes vary in length, width and direction as much as possible and still feel like one golf course.
Whatever the wind it would hopefully still be interesting.

We did design the longest par 4 to play into the prevailing wind, causing much debate whether it was a two or three shot hole.
The longest one shot hole also plays into a quartering wind.
The shortest two shot hole, which is often under 300 yards, plays into the wind with the lake all along the right - I hit a lot of dirt golf balls into the water.

The varied wind conditions coupled with the greens biases are one of my favorite aspects of the course.
I like variety.

cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Wolf Point Club: A pictorial!!! (13th hole posted)
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2013, 12:32:45 AM »
#13, par 4(ish), heralds the opening volley in a titanic cascade of world class holes that finish the round. Truly.

The green lies straight ahead, just beyond the farthest bunker.

While the hole plays a smidge shorter with a drive down the left center, team Morrow-McBride is headed down the right for a better angle into the green.

This beautifully naturalistic bunker will ensnare its share of tee balls that ride the helping leftward wind.

One’s view of the green is somewhat impeded for the approach, but its left-to-right slope is readily apparent.

Viewed from the green’s right edge, the architect is seen pacing along the line of play.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:37:22 AM by Kyle Henderson »

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2013, 03:31:47 PM »
Though there are no weak or indifferent holes at Wolf Point, I think 13 is the starting point to a crescendo finish of a round there. It is a long, straight, hole with the green slightly offset left that, once again, gives one plenty of room off the tee. However, approaches from the far left of the fairway have a higher degree of difficulty than those from right of center, once again due to the greens radical slope from left to right.  I believe usually the hole plays down wind or cross wind form left to right, but Don can confirm that better than I can. The green is not only tilted hard right, it also has several Nuzzo humps in it that make approaches, chips, and putts even more of a challenge to master. It's an easy green to go over because it is sloped down hill at its back. When I played the course a group of us went out from the maintanence facility located nearby to chip, putt, and pitch to this green. Right away, you could tell from its agressive character that it was no ordinary standardized USGA surface. Par is a good score on this hole.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
First I think it's cool to hear that Crenshaw found Oso so tough, it's just off the bay and has lots of water. I've probably played it 30 or so times and doubt I've ever seen it blow under about 25.

Now 13 might be the hardest hole I've ever played, there's plenty of room to drive the ball but the green is one of the most unique I've ever seen, I've never come close to par there and wouldn't shock me if I never do. The green seems to repel every shot but is still very fair.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »
First I think it's cool to hear that Crenshaw found Oso so tough, it's just off the bay and has lots of water. I've probably played it 30 or so times and doubt I've ever seen it blow under about 25.

Now 13 might be the hardest hole I've ever played, there's plenty of room to drive the ball but the green is one of the most unique I've ever seen, I've never come close to par there and wouldn't shock me if I never do. The green seems to repel every shot but is still very fair.

I think the only way mortals can par that hole is to miss right and long and hit a great pitch.  

As you near the end of a round at Wolf Point, the shotmaking demands become more intense and butt puckering.  
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:01:55 PM by Bill_McBride »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2013, 10:16:23 PM »
I agree, I think long right is the leave.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2013, 05:18:34 PM »
Wow. All I can say is wow. Wolf Point looks like a golfer's paradise.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back