News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Rather than pick on John (and his absurd inclusion of Merion) I'll reply to the question with a couple of 10's:  Muirfield and Pine Valley.  The former I won't "get" after playing once and the latter will simply be too difficult.   In reality my list could be a lot longer but I'll stop at the top.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mac Plumart

None.

I've looked at the list of "great" courses, I know I'd enjoy playing each and every one of them.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

BHoover

I don't know that there are any courses that I would refuse to play, particularly any "great" courses.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:46:51 AM by Brian Hoover »

Chris DeNigris

None.

I've looked at the list of "great" courses, I know I'd enjoy playing each and every one of them.

I'm with Mac...and I think JK has mommie issues  :)

BTW- I really didn't need to stumble upon a post that has JK's sperm in it so early in the morning....

Steve Salmen

One that comes to mind is Loch Lomond.  I have nothing against the course.  However, when I go to Scotland, I prefer links golf.

I have played Badon Trails once and will probably never play it again for the same reason.

Why go to a links golf destination to play parkland golf? There is plenty of great parkland golf available throughout this country.

Lou_Duran

Old Macdonald is a bit more complicated. It feels like if I were in a relationship with a life partner where we mixed our sperm together in a petri dish before fertilizing an egg from an anonymous donor. I'm scared I might love or hate it for all the wrong reasons. I just don't need the emotional drama in what is simply a game.

You are a very sick, disturbed man.  Does the Mayo Clinic have a Psych ward?  And to think that we allowed Connor to be exposed!

I am with you on your point (assuming that I can decipher it- I'm still thinking about Adam and his doorman), the older I get, the less attractive chasing the name golf courses is.  And you're right about access and age.  My father-in-law used to lament that life should be lived backwards, with money, experience, and appreciation in the front end when it can do one the most good.

Mark McKeever

1. Augusta
2. Whistling Straits
3. Erin Hills
4.  Medinah
5.  Torrey Pines

Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mike Hendren

Saying you don't care if you play Augusta is like saying you don't care if you hook up with Kate Upton. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

Saying you don't care if you play Augusta is like saying you don't care if you hook up with Kate Upton. 

Bogey

Her bosom is a little too large, don't you think?

Terry Lavin

Old Macdonald is a bit more complicated. It feels like if I were in a relationship with a life partner where we mixed our sperm together in a petri dish before fertilizing an egg from an anonymous donor. I'm scared I might love or hate it for all the wrong reasons. I just don't need the emotional drama in what is simply a game.

As a person who went to the Goo Man Group to buy Man in the Can in order to assist in the arrival of my two year-old son, Henry, I object to the demonization of IVF. 
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark McKeever

I disagree Bogey.  Augusta has had WAY TO MUCH plastic surgery.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John Kavanaugh

By "no longer care" I take that to mean: "won't make a special effort" as opposed to "will refuse to play," "will turn down an invitation, " etc.

ANGC
Morfontaine
Hazeltine
Medinah 3
Oakland Hills
Wade Hampton
Troon
Birkdale
Sandwich
Stanwich
RTJ
Shadow Creek
Caves Valley
Anything built in Cali since 1980? (Yes, I've played Rustic so it doesn't count for me.)

Erin Hills
Loch Lomond

John there's a whole world out there. Why limit yourself to domestics when you have the opportunity to create a list that's 10, 20 times longer?

Mark,

That is a fantastic list with a few courses I could have included, most specifically Shadow Creek.  I love staying at the Wynn and would not stay at a MGM property just so I could play Shadow Creek.  All these are great courses that I no longer care if I play for reasons beyond the architecture.  Travel and cost play a huge role.

I did not include any overseas courses because if I had ever wanted to play there I would have already been.  The idea today of visiting fantastic cultures full of wonderful people that I have never experienced with my stupid golf clubs in tow turns my stomach.  I'm sure I'll play in Australia when I visit my daughter but that is more just part of the social mores of the people in her life.  Not to mention they just may be the greatest courses in the world.

Mac Plumart

Travel and cost play a huge role.

This makes good sense, John.  I'd add hassle as well.  If we look at courses through these eyes, this concept makes much more sense.  What courses would you not bend over backwards, pay a bunch of money, and cause stress in your life to play?  That list might be pretty long.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Cory Lewis

Augusta National
Torrey Pines South
Shadow Creek

that's about it, still have interest in seeing everything else!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Jim Nelson

I find it interesting that Shadow Creek comes up so much on this list.  I live in Vegas, have played it three times (never paid) and have no need to go back. When I first saw it earlier on the thread, it quickly went to the top of my list.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

John Kavanaugh

As a person who went to the Goo Man Group to buy Man in the Can in order to assist in the arrival of my two year-old son, Henry, I object to the demonization of IVF.  

My apologies.  The intention of the analogy was to bring to bay the confused mix of the design team.  The thought of five guys drawing holes in the dirt being some kind of spiritual experience is as over the top to me as who routed Merion is to you.

I also find it hard to believe that I'm the only person who is burnt out on Merion.  This is the same reason that I now have all the respect in the world for those same people who I used to criticize that have zero interest in Dismal.  Merion wanted the world and she got em, losing me is a negligible price to pay.

Paul OConnor

Pinehurst #2
Winged Foot
Seminole
The Country Club

John Kavanaugh

Pinehurst #2
Winged Foot
Seminole
The Country Club

Why Seminole?  I'd visit my parents to play there.

Jud_T

Given my mediocre skill set, embedded GCA prejudices, preference for fun courses over scenic or challenging ones and complete lack of desire to belt notching further for it's own sake:

Oakmont
Oakland Hills South
The Alotian
Shadow Creek
Castle Pines
Baltusrol
Canyata
Lock Lomond
Valderrama
Gary Player CC
Congressional
Old Head
Victoria National
Tralee
Hazeltine
Harbour Town
Kauri Cliffs
Olympic (Lake)
Sawgrass
Oitavos Dunes
Trump International

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:24:32 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Paul OConnor

John,

I guess I just don't like the inhabitants of Florida's east coast that much.  The bullshit one has to wade through down there is pretty deep.    And I can do without the "gated community" faux exclusivity lifestyle so predominant there.  Please, I know all you folks are really important, and really rich, give it a rest. 

A couple guys I know, both good players, went to Seminole as guests.  They both got the "you are soooo lucky to be here, please kiss our ass" treatment from the club.  I'm sure the place is special, but I don't need to travel 1500 miles to get treated like an asshole, I can get that at home any night.   

At one point in my life, I too would have stayed with the inlaws, but now, I guess I just really don't care one way or the other on Seminole, if it were convenient, sure why not, but I can die contented without ever setting foot on the course. 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:25:44 PM by Paul OConnor »

Mike Schott

John,
I guess I just don't like the inhabitants of Florida's east coast that much.  The bullshit one has to wade through down there is pretty deep.    And I can do without the "gated community" faux exclusivity lifestyle so predominant there.  Please, I know all you folks are really important, and really rich, give it a rest.  

A couple guys I know, both good players, went to Seminole as guests.  They both got the "you are soooo lucky to be here, please kiss our ass" treatment from the club.  I'm sure the place is special, but I don't need to travel 1500 miles to get treated like an asshole, I can get that at home any night.  

At one point in my life, I too would have stayed with the inlaws, but now, I guess I just really don't care one way or the other on Seminole, if it were convenient, sure why not, but I can die contented without ever setting foot on the course.  

Not to pick on just you Paul, but it's this kind of attitude that makes me think some here are living in a fantasy world. You get asked to play one of the greatest courses in all of golf, with a Ben Hogan history and can't bring yourself to subjugate your ego for 5 or so hours. Others would turn down a chance to play ANGC because it's been tampered with. There are perhaps a dozen world class holes on that course even today. I just don't understand this thinking.

Paul OConnor

Mike,

I just don't really care that much.  Sure great place and all, but, eh, it's just a golf course.  It's not like Hogan is still there.

And for the record, I was never invited to play Seminole.  And after this post, I suspect, never will be.  And I don't really give a shit.

John Kavanaugh

Mike,

There is a huge difference between being invited to play a great course and accessing one.  I would never turn down an invite, if in the area, even at the worst course.  

Mike Schott

Mike,

There is a huge difference between being invited to play a great course and accessing one.  I would never turn down an invite, if in the area, even at the worst course.  

Thanks John. I wouldn't want to grovel to get on an exclusive course either. I can dream about playing AGNC but the reality is quite clear that those perfect fairways will exist only on my Samsung TV.

John Kavanaugh

Mike,

ANGC did not make my list. I'd go on a five year plan to play there. I just need a really good plan.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back