News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nelson

Bunkers... the good, the bad and the ugly
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:27:02 PM »
Just how many bunker types are there and which are your favorites?  And which do you just abhor?  I am a traditionalist and enjoy simple bunkering.  I also belong to a course designed by RTJ Jr and Bruce Charleton.  It has what I call Ameoba bunkering.  There seemed to be a period of about 20 years when this style of bunkering was popular.  Now it looks so, so dated that I can hardly stand looking at it. What do you think are the best and the worst styles of bunkers?  I also like minimalist bunkering when it fits into and blends with the surrounding environment.   
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Garland Bayley

Re: Bunkers... the good, the bad and the ugly
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:37:05 PM »
... What do you think are the best and the worst styles of bunkers?  ...

best natural blowouts.
worst White bathtubs.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:38:24 PM »
Jim,

Here are a few favorites I've come across:

Machrihanish Dunes

Ballyneal

Goswick

Seminole

Turnberry

The Honors

Silloth

Prairie Dunes

Palmetto Hall

Dismal River

Wolf Point

Merion
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:52:57 AM by Eric Smith »

Jim Nelson

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »
Jim,

Here are a few favorites I've come across:

Some day I need to figure out how to post pictures.  Thanks for your examples.  You seem to go back and forth between the more ragged minimalist bunkering and the more traditional style from the UK.  Btw, I too like your examples.  Is there a style you dislike?
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Eric Smith

Re: Bunkers... the good, the bad and the ugly New
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »
Jim,

If you google Falcons Fire Golf you can see what I think are some pretty lame bunkers. I don't have the heart to ugly up your thread by posting a picture of them though. ;) 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:46:31 PM by eric_smith »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »
Jim,

If you google Falcons Fire Golf you can see what I think are some pretty lame bunkers. I don't have the heart to ugly up your thread by posting a picture of them though. ;) Same goes for Haig Point Golf.

Do you mean the abortion near Orlando?

Jim Nelson

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:59 PM »
Jim,

If you google Falcons Fire Golf you can see what I think are some pretty lame bunkers. I don't have the heart to ugly up your thread by posting a picture of them though. ;) Same goes for Haig Point Golf.

You actually hate those more than my cursed amoeba bunkers?

Matthew Runde

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »
If I'm expected to rake bunkers, I don't like ones that require me to trudge a mile and a half in order to reach my ball.  In that case, capes and bays become beautiful.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:43:25 PM by Matthew Runde »

Lukas Michel

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
A few of my favourites from Royal Melbourne West.

6th fairway

10th fairway bunker

12th fairway bunker (LHS)

14th greenside

16th

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »
One of the features I love about the bunkers I've seen in Australia is that the lack of sand on the faces/walls of the bunkers. Instead, the sand seems to be at the base of the bunkers. The bunkers seem to be deep, but the player is forced to play from the center of the bunkers.

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:50 PM »
Jim:

A thread from a few years ago on bunkering styles at some Chicago-area and Wisconsin courses, and some out West as well:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41574.0.html

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 11:10:13 PM »
Ron Whitten did an extensive piece a few years ago for Golf Digest.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-courses/2008-11/photos_bunkerdesign#slide=1

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 07:32:29 AM »
Eric,

Some very nice examples. Thanks for posting them. Do you think you could edit the post to say where the bunkers are in the photos. I recognise the style of some them but can't place them as to specific courses.

All the best

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 07:55:44 AM »
Eric,

Some very nice examples. Thanks for posting them. Do you think you could edit the post to say where the bunkers are in the photos. I recognise the style of some them but can't place them as to specific courses.

All the best

Thomas,

Thank you. I have amended my post to include the names of the courses.

Cheers

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 08:01:38 AM »
I love the look of #25, the sculpted "Art Deco" grass noses (knuckles?) framing the flat-bottomed sand, even though they seem artificial.  Mowing must be a nightmare.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 08:02:58 AM »
Thanks Eric. I got two correct so must be having a good day! All the best.

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
Jim,

I'm a big fan of the aesthetic bunkers that really shouldn't come into play strategically on a hole, but seem to stare you in the face on the tee box.  For instance, the par 3 third hole at Pasatiempo has a bunker about halfway to the green.  It just frames the hole beautifully, even though you're going to be landing the ball 50-75 yards further.  (If I can figure it out, I'll post a picture.)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back