News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: What would be on a list of lesser known Ross gems?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 06:41:24 PM »
As always, Jim Kennedy comes through...now I'll have to stop by Winchendon School.

CCBuffalo is one of my favorites, and cannot wait to see it in the fall, when the restoration should be fully healed.

Mark Twain in Elmira (NY), a municipal Ross!

Triggs Memorial in Providence (RI), another muni Ross!!

Tom Doak says Glens Falls has been put on his short list, so that's worth seconding.

You might find a few more here: http://www.donaldross.org/Resources/Documents/DRSList_Rev_2011.pdf
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »
Linville GC & Mimosa Hills have already been mentioned and I would also throw in Alamance CC. Not great but an enjoyable course

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 06:58:43 PM »
I really enjoyed Hendersonville Country Club (NC). 

Also Camden CC (SC).

J_ Crisham

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
Charles River is the best Ross I've seen that you rarely hear about. The property is terrific with great movement , rocky outcroppings, and some beautiful green complexes. Surprised that we've gone 27 posts without a mention of The River. Top 5 in Boston in my book.

Paul Jones

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »
I have to second White Bear Yacht Club - this course is a blast.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

hhuffines

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »
Roaring Gap

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
I've had the privilege of visiting quite a few of the courses listed here.

If the question is 'lesser known' to GCA.com participants, I believe the conversation starts and ends with Barton Hills. The wonderful restoration there, in time, may bring the course onto the short list of Donald Ross' very best.

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 07:58:59 PM »
Thanks to Mark for mentioning Camden before I saw this thread, and I can't believe Ed didn't bring it up since the routing is mostly Travis!!

I admit I'm a Homer, but I think Camden is unique in the Southeast, with a mostly Walter Travis routing, and Donald Ross greens (with a few significant Ross greensite changes).  It's a classic course that continues to challenge good players without resorting to "tricking up" the course and without significant rough (most of the year).

I would second all the North Carolina courses previously mentioned, with the exception of Alamance......While I enjoy the course, I don't think it's particularly good.  I'd be very surprised if Mr. Ross ever saw the property.

Jamey

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 08:08:39 PM »

If the question is 'lesser known' to GCA.com participants, I believe the conversation starts and ends with Barton Hills.

You meant to nominate Hope Valley?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
Never thought I would see the Winchendon School GC discussed here.  Course  used to be called Toy Town Tavern  and it starts with two par threes!  Also the location where my playing partner hit a negative yardage dive on the short par four that runs along the road because his ball landed on the road and rolled back down it!

Lesser known Ross courses worth mentioning are

The Balsams Panorama Course NH
Elks GC (Portsmouth, OH)
The Sagamore (NY)
Grosse Ile (MI)
George Wright (MA)
Muskegon CC (MI)
Barton Hills CC (MI)
Mohawk (OH)

Chris

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »

If the question is 'lesser known' to GCA.com participants, I believe the conversation starts and ends with Barton Hills.

You meant to nominate Hope Valley?

With all due respect to Hope Valley (and lots of respect is due!), go play Barton Hills and I doubt you would be asking that question.

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
Although I never played it I have heard that Franklin Hills is a gem.
"Pure Michigan"

Billsteele

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 08:36:41 PM »
Springfield Country Club in Ohio is a marvelous Ross course that flies well below the radar in Ross rich Ohio. Youngstown Country Club is also very good with a Ross/Travis lineage. Shaker Heights Country Club near Cleveland (close to Canterbury) is also very good.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »
Charles River is the best Ross I've seen that you rarely hear about. The property is terrific with great movement , rocky outcroppings, and some beautiful green complexes. Surprised that we've gone 27 posts without a mention of The River. Top 5 in Boston in my book.

Ditto... It seems to be sliding down the ratings both in MA and nationally for some reason. My in-laws moved from Dedham St . Newton to New Hampshire several years ago, so I don't get to play there any more... is there any reason why it's moving down the lists?

Next!

Will Peterson

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 08:56:32 PM »
Timuquana CC in Jacksonville, FL

Ian Andrew

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
Three that are my favourites:

Glens Falls, NY is awesome (Top 100 for me)
Essex Country Club, Mass. (top 100 for me too)
Plymouth CC, Mass is great - fantastic course
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Mark McKeever

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 09:43:23 PM »
Absolutely Schuylkill CC belongs in the list!  Some of the best Ross greens I have ever putted on...

Also should be mentioned:

Charles River (I was blown away)
Worcester
George Wright

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

V. Kmetz

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
I don't know if it qualifies as lesser known, but as many of you know...

Siwanoy CC in Bronxville, NY (site of the first PGA and the only "intact, all Ross" course in the NY/CT Met area)

is one of my faves;  I really think it is the finest, most challenging and rewarding course under 6500 I have ever played, and most people never play it at 6410...it's most often played by all ability levels at 6200-6300 tees.

Someone mentioned Shennecossett already, but it's been heavily renovated and re-routed over the last 40 years, still a beauty though.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 10:06:26 PM »
I don't think Northland or White Bear are going to make a consensus list of Ross's overlooked gems. I love them both, but they are very different from the standard (if there is such a thing) Ross course. I've brought a couple of groups of friends from my club up to Northland; some get it, some don't. It's a hillside course that must play firm and fast to fully take advantage of its sloping greens and ingenious bunker placements. It is anything but a standard parkland course, and some players simply don't appreciate its unique character. I played it this year after a week of rain, and while the greens were as great as ever, a soggy Northland is not a treat. I've played with guys at other times, however, who thought it was too firm. To each his own.

White Bear is just funky as hell. It's a very hilly site, and Ross made sure the slopes were maximized in the green sites -- either as a place to perch them, or using the slopes to create unusual contours. The fairways, too, require precision to avoid a long day of uneven stances. I think it's great fun, but again, you hear comments from some players who think it's too odd.

And sadly NCC was kept a bog for yrs (which benefitted a certain high ball hitting member) but thankfully it has been dried out in recent years. NCC dry is a hoot and the views are unmatched. Of course we took them for granted when we were young!
I love funk so I love WBYC!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 10:18:23 PM »
Hartford Golf Club is on the cusp of being in this conversation. The first two holes, #6-8, #13 and #16 are particularly good, but as pleasant as the course is, it is missing a certain je-ne-sais-quoi that Ross gems like CC Waterbury and Sedgefield seem to have.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Matt MacIver

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »
Here's a second for Shaker Heights in Cleveland, just a classic Domald Ross course, wish I could verbalize what I mean by that.  Interesting holes. Fun shots. Great walk. Old school (duh).  A few Awesome Holes and a few Clunkers.  Puts a smile on my face just thinking about it.

Phil McDade

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »
Any of the new New England GCAers play Point Judith? It looks interesting. Ross did several courses in Rhode Island, including Rhode Island CC.

John Crowley

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 11:04:34 PM »
Minneapolis Golf Club - Ross 1920 redesign of Willie Park Jr 1916. Rick's book has more details.
Rarely written up, very much "lesser known" outside of MN. Very well regarded in MN. Not a masterpiece but often sited by better players in state as a good test and fun to play. 18 good holes, no clunkers. Site of 1950 US AM and 1959 PGA.

Tom ORourke

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »
Torresdale Frankford in Philadelphia. Always part of the Golf Association tournament rotations for big events, great greens, dog legs, long and short holes, nice test. There were some changes about 50 years ago due to road expansion but still has a nice feel to it.

Greg Holland

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 12:04:25 AM »
What does it say about Donald Ross courses to see a list that is now on page 2 of "lesser known gems"?   I have yet to play a Ross course that I did not enjoy -- even those with site limitations still have really good holes.  Where he had really good land, it seems he delivered in spades! 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back