News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Do all the great 18th holes have lost ball potential?
« on: July 09, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
I just hate to see a match locked up after 17 holes. Matter of fact, I can't think of a great 18th hole where lost ball or OB isn't a very real possibility. Yes, the 18th at St Andrews is no great finisher no matter who holes out from the VoS.  If that was a great hole then that 18th in Hawaii where some journeyman holed out from the fairway is a great hole.  Sorry, no.

I will agree with you ball hoarders that I hate breaking a sleeve on the 18th just to finish a round. The cost of a ball is usually immaterial by then anyway. Can't tell you how many times I have pulled out a shagger just when I'm needing my best shot of the day.

Michael Ryan

Re: Do all the great 18th holes have lost ball potential?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
I think 18 at Winged Foot West is a great finishing hole and it would be hard to lose a ball there...mostly because they have a great caddie program as I can lose a ball on a landlocked hole with the best of them

Nigel Islam

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »
Riviera

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »
I think 18 at Winged Foot West is a great finishing hole and it would be hard to lose a ball there...mostly because they have a great caddie program as I can lose a ball on a landlocked hole with the best of them

I've never played Winged Foot but was it even possible for Phil to hit a drive as far off line as he did when losing the Open, U.S. that is.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »
I think the best 18th holes have the potential for a two shot swing. That does not necessarily mean a lost ball is in play.  I think that sometimes water is placed on 18th holes in an attempt to make them great, but often it doesn't work out well IMHO.

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 02:17:57 PM »
On the contrary I think!

While potential disaster is fun I suppose, I think the potential for recovery is way more enjoyable and can create some fun ends to matches. Let a player mess their day up with a 4-putt under pressure; no need to force the issue with water hazards and OB if they're not natural (some obvious exceptions are Pebble Beach and TOC, but there's no avoiding the Pacific Ocean and you can't move a whole town).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 02:26:48 PM »
On the contrary I think!

While potential disaster is fun I suppose, I think the potential for recovery is way more enjoyable and can create some fun ends to matches. Let a player mess their day up with a 4-putt under pressure; no need to force the issue with water hazards and OB if they're not natural (some obvious exceptions are Pebble Beach and TOC, but there's no avoiding the Pacific Ocean and you can't move a whole town).

Some of the greatest recoveries are from water. Just last time I played Victoria National I hit my drive in the lateral hazard and the nailed my eight iron to 3 feet for an easy par putt. My opponents head and hands were so full of chickens that his game flew the coup. He quickly went chunk, chunk, coon, concede and he isn't even a banker. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
While I can lose a ball on a polo field, the following finishing holes appear to carry little in the way of lost ball potential (at least from hazards or OB, as opposed to rough)

Kingston Heath, Royal Melbourne West, Oakmont (? - not sure about that one), Augusta National, Shinnecock; Pinehurst No. 2; Crystal Downs.

You would need to argue that none of these are great. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »
Some arguments are weak. One important factor is that you never want the 18th to be in the top 4 handicap holes. The 18th should always be played straight up.

It is clear that the 18th at ANGC is not great but Riviera is so I could be wrong in a very general sense.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
On the contrary I think!

Some of the greatest recoveries are from water. Just last time I played Victoria National I hit my drive in the lateral hazard and the nailed my eight iron to 3 feet for an easy par putt. My opponents head and hands were so full of chickens that his game flew the coup. He quickly went chunk, chunk, coon, concede and he isn't even a banker. 

Sorry, but that's not a recovery shot. A recovery shot would have given you birdie.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JMEvensky

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 02:47:06 PM »

One important factor is that you never want the 18th to be in the top 4 handicap holes. The 18th should always be played straight up.

Lots of truth in this statement.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 02:49:35 PM »
On the contrary I think!

Sorry, but that's not a recovery shot. A recovery shot would have given you birdie.

Sorry Garland but I only play match play. A recovery shot is one that changes a predisposed outcome.

DMoriarty

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »
Is there a more anticlimactic way to decide a match that with a lost ball?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
John,

the 18th at TOC is a great matchplay hole giving a variety of shots and strategies. Like the last at North Berwick it is an easy hole to birdie or bogey. The last hole at Wentworth used to be a great finishing hole for matchplay as well.

Jon

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »
In Chicago, Medinah 3  has a very good 18th IMO but no chance to lose a ball there. Shouldn't lose one at Shinny on 18 either- that is also a very good finisher as well.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »
I don't think a Dave Wottle come from behind kick would be enough to save this argument. I tell ya though, nothing beats hitting a drive OB or in a hazard and reteeing then coming back for the win. I had it done to me earlier in the year and still haven't recovered. Last time I will ever try to go wedge, wedge from the middle of the fairway for a win.  Just when you think the only way you can lose a hole is by doing that you pull a this. Never fails.

Jason Topp

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »

One important factor is that you never want the 18th to be in the top 4 handicap holes. The 18th should always be played straight up.

One the club can fix by assigning a number of 5 or higher

DMoriarty

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »

Lower handicap players ought to rejoice when the last is a stroke hole.  Most matches never make it to the last, so they rarely have to give the the allotted number of strokes.   
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »

Lower handicap players ought to rejoice when the last is a stroke hole.  Most matches never make it to the last, so they rarely have to give the the allotted number of strokes.   

David,

though I fully agree your logic is right I would rather lose on the 16th than the 18th when giving a shot.

Jon

JMEvensky

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 03:33:31 PM »

Guessing JK is referring to gambling more than competition match play.

Nobody wants to give shots on a hole with presses on the line.

Joey Chase

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 03:37:23 PM »
On the contrary I think!

Just ask Jean Van de Velde!! 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »
On the contrary I think!

Sorry Garland but I only play match play. A recovery shot is one that changes a predisposed outcome.

Sorry John, just because your opponent was incompetent, it doesn't make your shot a recovery shot. Hit it from the water, now that's a recovery shot.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Franklin

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »
I think the 18th hole should be a birdie opportunity. I don't care for the holes that you cannot birdie, but is a hard par. I was not a fan of Merion's 18th this year.
Mr Hurricane

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 02:53:11 PM »
Is there a more anticlimactic way to decide a match that with a lost ball?

Depends upon whether it's you or your opponent  ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »
JakaB,

To answer your question, no, they don't.

The trend however, has changed over the last half century as play has transitioned from match to medal play.

When the earlier golf courses were crafted, most matches were over by the time you came to the 18th tee.
That situation remained intact until medal play became dominant.

Modern designs tend to have a "challenging" 18th hole where your premise may carry more weight.

Also, think how many 18th holes have been "beefed up" over the last 50 years in an effort to avoid the "limping in" or "play it safe" mentality in a match.

BPB might be exhibit "A" in that department.

The Creek's two finishing holes are rather benign and I think you'll find more than a few courses from the "Golden Age" where that's true.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back