News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Was Robert von Hagge a great architect?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 11:36:30 AM »
I was lucky enough to interview Bob at the Golf Industry Show a few years ago - the article can be seen here. http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Robert-von-Hagge-light-and-shade/1440/Default.aspx
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
Thank you guys for all your replies.
This is really getting us somewhere and I am glad I started this thread.

When the time is right, I should definitely try to get in touch with all of you who worked with him and write an article.
I am also strongly in favor of some of you writing your memories down in the "in my opinion" section.

In the meantime, I have 2 more questions :
1 - where did he get his inspiration for his  landscapes? Did he, like Pete Dye, have an epiphany in Scotland ? Did he receive any artistic education or was he a natural born artist?

2 - Who did the shaping for him? Randy, were you a shaper? Who were the shapers working in France? On Golf National?

No, I was a construction super. We used six different shapers in Buenos Aires Golf. Not sure who did National but I know he had high regards for James Beke and Kenny Edwards as I do!

David Harshbarger

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
I was lucky enough to interview Bob at the Golf Industry Show a few years ago - the article can be seen here. http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Robert-von-Hagge-light-and-shade/1440/Default.aspx

"There was one self-portrait of Rembrandt that looked familiar.  I said "That's just like the original!" He said, "It is the original!""

Priceless....
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Lester George

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
Jeff and Jeff,

I will never forget the night at Lake Nona when we were gathered out front to wait for the valet to bring up our car.  RvH (in his 80's) was telling my wife how beautiful she looked.  She was flattered of course.  Right before he left he motioned me aside and said, "You are a lucky man, like me, to be married to such a fine looking woman".  Classic!!!  Even I was flattered! 

Great guy.  Great designer.  Trained a bunch of great designers as well.

Lester

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back