News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

The Biarritz at Greenbrier
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »
Anybody but me loving the Biarritz at Greenbrier today.  It's great seeing the pros get stuck in the valley.

I wish the TOUR would play more classic courses!

Nigel Islam

Re: The Biarritz at Greenbrier
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »
I agree the course looks terrific.  The Tour does have a fair amount of classic courses mixed with all the TPC courses. Pebble, Riviera, East Lake, Torrey, Colonial, Congressional, Akron, Greensboro CC, and Waialae. I always really enjoy the majority of those tournaments. I wish Waialae LOOKED more like the Greenbrier though.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 08:21:08 PM »
Dan, I'm enjoying the course in its entirety, including the Biarritz.  Cool looking place.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:43:55 PM »
I wonder if I am the only one pausing my DVR and taking pictures of the TV with my phone... :)

John Scharon

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 09:27:39 PM »
I thought it was nice to hear the announcer say it looked like the 9th? at Yale.  Didn't hear anyone say "Biarritz" though.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:30:44 PM »
John - they did earlier in the week - several times.

John Scharon

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »
Thank you, Dan.  I only watched this afternoon.

On another note, what do you all think of those rectangular bunkers?  Very strange to look at from the blimp, though I might not have even noticed it from the ground, where I would have been standing in them all day!   :(

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
where I would have been standing in them all day

;D

Seriously, I don't mind the geometric look on courses as long as the features are well placed.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Evan_Green

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:18:13 AM »
There was quite a bit of architecture discussion, not only of the Biarritz, but others...Ian Baker Finch in the final round spoke about Redan holes for a good 2 minutes when (I believe) the final group was playing the Greenbrier Redan. He cited the Redans at Chicago Golf, Camargo, National and Somerset Hills and of course North Berwick...sounds like he has made a point to see classic courses

Matthew Rose

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 02:28:13 AM »
Biarritz's are just really, really cool. A pity I've never had a chance to play one.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

ChipOat

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »
I put up a thread in 2002/early 2003 saying that I was not impressed by the Old White as the "signature" holes all looked like they were dumbed down for resort course purposes - sort of "Macdonald Lite".  The Alps, Redan, Cape and Short (#18) were especially disappointing.

At the time, Lester George was starting a restoration/renovation and I have not seen the course since then.  I hope he has put some teeth into the template holes - closer to Piping Rock if not National.

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
I agree the course looks terrific.  The Tour does have a fair amount of classic courses mixed with all the TPC courses. Pebble, Riviera, East Lake, Torrey, Colonial, Congressional, Akron, Greensboro CC, and Waialae. I always really enjoy the majority of those tournaments. I wish Waialae LOOKED more like the Greenbrier though.

FYI, it is now called Old White TPC.  ;)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 11:27:38 AM »
Chip: Please revisit the course.  You'll be impressed with Lester's work.

Ian Baker-Finch does play good golf courses.  He tweets fairly often about them.

WW

astavrides

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »
Faldo said that the first Biarritz was at North Berwick.  I think he meant 'at Biarritz', didn't he?

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
Loved the look of the hole. I just played my first Biarritz at Shoreacres a few weeks ago. It seemed like the valley on the White was deeper than Shoreacres though. Don't get me wrong, it was wonderful to play it.

Jim Beard

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »
MacDonald's course at The Greenbrier is great and a lot of fun to play.  It was fun seeing the pros play this course instead of the usual bland TPC courses.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 06:39:09 PM »
Wexford Plantation on Hilton Head redid their greens and put in a Biarritz.  We played it in the Dixie Cup and had not idea it was there and boy was it a shock considering it was probably the deepest one I have seen.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 12:58:54 AM »
Faldo said that the first Biarritz was at North Berwick.  I think he meant 'at Biarritz', didn't he?

A common misconception is that the biarritz originated at North Berwick - the 16th hole.
Not surprising that Faldo said that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back