News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

A sampling of great US architecture
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:01:08 AM »
In warming up for the BUDA in NL in a week I'm just finishing a trip in the US that's just been amazing and I'd love to share with you all. From an architecture point of view it's just been full of highlights. From a meeting new people point of view it's also only been full of highlights including meet many GCA'ers for the first time.

Would love to discuss some of these courses with the treehouse and get your opinions positive or constructive. I have lots of photos but I don't have time to start posting them and I think you've all seen photos of these courses for the most part.

Here's how the trip has been:

Somerset Hills - great start to the trip, loved the front 9 back 9 was also good but front was better for me.

Oakmont - great experience, top 5 club house (in my book), very difficult, fast greens (13), hotter than hell, had the feeling the course was a touch industrial, large scale set up for pro events mainly.

Wolf Point - personal top 5 golf experience. Great course, super fun, excellent green complexes, great company.

Ballyneal - loved the course, great accommodation, most comfortable bed on the trip, some maintenance issues with the greens.

Sand Hills - love the course, country club greens which was the main difference between SH and BN. Fun routing with some great par 3's and a great finish. Played my best round ever. Shot 72.

Dismal River - Nicklaus and Doak. Personally I enjoyed the Nicklaus course more but merely from a fun factor perspective. The greens were all like punch bowls with backstops. While I don't think I'd want that on my home course it was a fun experience. Played through the weekend with a vertebrae out of place in my lower neck, which made full enjoyment a bit of a challenge but I did my best. The Doak course is also excellent, love the natural usage of the land and it's contours. Hate horse flies on the last 3 holes. They love me.

Colorado Golf Club - this was a bonus round, didn't have any expectations and was really impressed with the course. Simply a beautiful place and certainly a great members club. Loved the beginning and finishing holes working their way up towards and down from the club house.

Baltusrol - another historic place, large open set up. Tough rough. Large greens. Sweatiest day I've ever played. Until this point of the trip.

Pine Valley - finally, what an experience. I did all I could to keep the ball in play. Course was playing very soft with all the rain. I had trouble holding the balls on the greens even when I tried to take the spin off. Challenging for me being used to links golf as I can go a full year without having the ball spin back on me. Hit a couple shots past the pin and had them roll back into the rough or bunker and leave near impossible shots for up and down. Fairways were very fair and wide but missing is death. Played with one elderly gentleman and realized how tough the course is for seniors who are not long hitters. This member had trouble with nearly all the carries and was constantly playing the ball out of the hazards, deep rough or waste areas. It was so hot and humid I really felt bad for him but he seemed use to it. Others have explained this so well. Pine Valley is relentless. Hit good shots and you struggle. Nothing is easy about it, except enjoying it and remembering it. I'm sure nearly every hole on the course if put on another course would be their best or one of their best and perhaps most difficult holes. I guess it's awe inspiring. Not sure what else to add. I imagine a 5 hcp at Pine Valley is a + hcp'er anyplace else (with a few exceptions).

Plainfield (tomorrow) - will see....

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Sam Morrow

Re: A sampling of great US architecture
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 01:05:10 AM »
Damn right you had great company at Wolf Point.

David Davis

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »
Damn right you had great company at Wolf Point.

Sam, great = anytime guys let you win all their money ;-)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 01:09:26 AM »
It's okay, I don't have much anyway

Tom ORourke

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 07:20:52 AM »
Somerset Hills - great start to the trip, loved the front 9
I played a 36 hole US AM qualifier there many years ago and shot 160. I looked at my cards when I was done. On the back nine I had hit 2 fliers over a green OB on one hole, hit the trees fronting a par 3 and dropped back into the water both times, and ended up shooting 70 on the front nine and 90 on the back nine, so I too liked the front nine better. I don't think the nines were that different, I just had a very strange day.
If you could join only one of these courses to play everyday, which one would you pick?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »
In warming up for the BUDA in NL in a week I'm just finishing a trip in the US that's just been amazing and I'd love to share with you all.

Wolf Point - personal top 5 golf experience. Great course, super fun, excellent green complexes, great company.

Ballyneal - loved the course, great accommodation, most comfortable bed on the trip, some maintenance issues with the greens.

Sand Hills - love the course, country club greens which was the main difference between SH and BN. Fun routing with some great par 3's and a great finish. Played my best round ever. Shot 72.

Dismal River - Nicklaus and Doak. Personally I enjoyed the Nicklaus course more but merely from a fun factor perspective.

Someone's warm-up is another's lifetime golfing highlights.  I want to be David Davis.

Can there be a greater testimonial to Wolf Point than this?  If Mike Nuzzo and Don Mahaffey were industry veterans (well, Don probably is) their work at WP could be understood as the culmination of years of study and application on the ground.  That it was Mike's and Don's first original design and build assignment is incredible.  Hopefully their principal will one day permit the full story of the project to be made public including the biographies of the major players.  It is compelling, heart-warming stuff.

Those greens at Sand Hills are hardly of the CC type, at least any CC I am aware of.  As a recipient of the shellacking, that 72 came after some prodding to move up to the more sensible member's tees.  Even after three nights at DR, I think I'm still a drink shy of paying off my bets.  Given that I can pile high numbers from any set of tees, I should have kept my mouth shut.

The DR- Nicklaus vs. Doak debate should wait a couple years for the latter to grow in and catch up with the outstanding playing conditions on the Nicklaus (whose greens did compare favorably with many of the best CCs).  As with Bandon, I suspect that I would be happy playing either of the courses at DR based on availability.  The only question I have about the Doak course is whether it can really be a walking-only course.  We did 27 on an incredibly mild day and it was very demanding with a lot of walk-arounds, up and down in soft sand to get to the ball. 

That Pine Valley got the most ink must mean something.  Did I say I wish I was David Davis?

David Davis

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:10:18 AM »
Thanks Lou, you are far too kind and clearly a bit of an exaggerator. That was my best round ever so perhaps I should be playing the ladies tees more often. Pine Valley pushed me back down to size quickly.

In terms of wishing you were me, perhaps my next update might discourage you and this is way OT. Poised to play Plainfield and ended up having to cancel and fly out to Portland Oregon. I should of almost been back in Munich now but received a very bad news phone call that my father had an aneurism in his aorta on Friday evening. He spend the entire night in surgery. I had to cancel my game and change my flight home to Thursday of this week. At that point he was 50/50 in terms of making it. He's not out of the water yet but at least I'm here helping him fight for his life.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »
You're a good son David.  My thoughts and prayers go to Mr. Davis and the family.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »
Hang in there David.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:30:15 PM »
David,
   First, and last, prayers for your father and the rest of your family. Glad you were able to get out to him and be in his company.
   Your travel almanac was a fantastic, concise, read. Sorry you have yet to play Plainfield. It's my personal Ross favorite, a truely special place that I think is underrated. It's a little like Ballybunion in that it has a few minor flaws, but the good stuff is so wonderful that I can't understand why people focus on the insignificant imperfections. I'm sure to catch hell for saying that. Those Ross greens are just off the chart, as far as I'm concerned.
   I am thrilled you got to Wolf Point. I have yet to play a more interesting course. Mike,  Don, and the owner compellingly conjured the fullest combination of strategy, interest, beauty, and fun possible on a flat piece of scrub land. There is real genius all over that place. The holes fit the land like they have always been there and a purer match play course would be hard to imagine. Holes 6 and 16 might be two of the best pure natural holes I have yet seen. The greens remind me of that Prestwick green that graced the home page of this website last month.
   I will be playing Ballyneal in early September and your review just makes me that much more excited about its upcoming discovery. Playing Colorado as well.
   Godspeed to your father in recovery. When you get the chance, please post more of your impressions regarding the great chain of courses you played.

David Davis

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 02:35:22 AM »
Charlie,

Ballyneal, Sand Hills. Dismal River and Colorado should be on everyones list of to play courses and that's a great little tour in and of itself. I just loved them even if I didn't think the first 3 are all a bit similar in terms of terrain. Still 4 distinctly different courses and all super fun, challenging and architecturally different. Ballyneal as mentioned has to win the accommodation award with Dismal a close second but the bed at Ballyneal I would of easily put into a container and shipped back to The Netherlands. Not to mention the view. The steak at Sand Hills wins out even if the price is on the heavy side.

Sand Hills had more dramatic terrain I believe. However, that being said those first 3 courses all had pretty dramatic terrain and if you are used to non-links US courses they will all blow your socks off in terms of offering you a completely different experience.

I have to say, and I'm sure many will disagree, that I didn't really find the courses to be really easy to utilize the ground game. Not terrible but just not the same as European links or the likes of Bandon or Chambers Bay for example. Not has firm as those and the grass seemed a little more sticky. I suppose it would only take some getting use to.

I'd say the par 3's on all those courses including Colorado are all just brilliant, even world class.

Perhaps the same goes for the other holes. What's extra fun there is playing at altitude. For someone like me that plays at sea level most of the time playing in Colorado and Nebraska gave me a good indication of how Superman might feel.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
David,

It was great meeting you at Dismal.  Glad your back has recovered.  Best wishes for your father and your entire family in this difficult time.

Until my next trip to Amsterdam...

Cliff

David Davis

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 03:08:43 PM »
Cliff,

Thanks, great to meet you as well. Hopefully we can play together next time. The back/neck injury was no big deal, I played around it but it was great to get it fixed I promise you. Also probably not the smartest thing to do in trying to load up on pain killers of all sorts to make it through the weekend. Luckily it was very warm (for me at least) and there was some alcohol on the premises. I survived.

David

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
and there was some alcohol on the premises

Don't you mean within arm's length the entire trip? ;D

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
Thoughts and prayers with you and your father. 

David Davis

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »
and there was some alcohol on the premises

Don't you mean within arm's length the entire trip? ;D

Where there's Eric there's fire...ha ha. I was happy to be the designated driver when you were at your best Mr. Smith. Never seen anyone who could play so well after a beer (or 10/15).

Eric Smith

David Davis

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YMfT-fUd-s

For the record can I just say I didn't realize you were filming. I would of duffed it had I known. Plus I would never tell the truth about my partner in front of a live audience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back