News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Shulman

100 Hole Hike (St. Andrews) - IN PROGRESS
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »
The 100 Hole Hikers prepare to tee off on the Old Course this morning at 6:20 AM, having already played the nine-hole Balgove Course.  From left to right, it's Josh Evenson, Jim Colton, Tom Doak and David Watt (golf coach at St. Andrews University).  I walked along with the group for the first nine holes - which the group completed in 59 minutes - caddying for Jim.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54113856@N07/9209361186/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:35:46 AM by Andy Shulman »

Andy Shulman

Re: 100 Hole Hike (St. Andrews) - IN PROGRESS New
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »
And if I knew how to upload photos, you call could see the group posing in front of the R&A.  Oh well.....Click on the link, which may get you to the photo on my Flickr account.  In any event, the group went from the Old to the Eden and on from there.  I understand they'll be having drinks at Hamilton Hall this evening to celebrate for anyone else who's currently in St. Andrews.

UPDATE: Figured out how to upload the photo!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:49:47 AM by Andy Shulman »

Tom_Doak

Re: 100 Hole Hike (St. Andrews) - IN PROGRESS
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:28:54 PM »
We are finished, having completed 100 holes by re-playing the 1st on The Old Course ... and Colton played back up the 18th with a random four-ball to get to 101 holes and 550 holes for his four-day quest.  Yowsa.

It was a great day with the full Scottish weather ... a few holes of rain at the end of The Old Course this morning, then brighter skies, then 20-mph crosswinds most of the last 36 holes on the Jubilee (which was hard!) and the New.

I played really well (for me) for 72 holes before tiring down the home stretch.  Actually I think the three newbies were all struggling at the end, while Jim cruised home.  Great experience.  The Links Trust starters and rangers were a great help, getting people to let us play through.  We played The Old Course in just over 2 hours and the Eden and the Strathtyrum in two hours flat each.  Tougher to keep up that pace the last 36 but we had plenty of time to spare, just over 15 hours all told with a couple of 45-minute breaks mixed in.  Thanks to anyone who made pledges for me ... I did make six birdies out of 100 for anyone who pledged a bonus!

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »
Not only did Tom wax me for the day, he also accomplished his stated objective to make more birdies than me (I had 5)

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »
Jim and Tom,

Outstanding job.  This is great news.  I hope you guys enjoy our nation's birthday with a cold beer at the home of the game we love so much.  Congratulations men.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
Congratulations!

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:48:32 PM »
Congrats!  Solid effort all around...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:54:36 PM »
Seriously epic.

WW

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »
Yowza indeed!

Is it true the Jubilee is the hardest course there?  How would you guys rank them?  (You didn't play the Castle I guess)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 08:26:12 PM »
We might as well sit outside Dairy Queen and congratulate the patrons for finishing their ice cream.  Admittedly, I'm jealous.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »
The Jubilee in a cross wind has the least amount of width to play with on the drives and the most potential for lost balls in my opinion. I liked the course, but felt that it was the course that was the easiest to have a round really get away from me.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »
We might as well sit outside Dairy Queen and congratulate the patrons for finishing their ice cream.  Admittedly, I'm jealous.

+1

but then I'm jealous you have access to a Dairy Queen......
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »
Congrats Gents...Job well done!!!
"Pure Michigan"

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »
Except this wasn't just a Dairy Queen; it was the oldest ice cream shoppe in the world!

WW

Howard Riefs

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 11:14:26 PM »
Congrats, Jim and Tom.

Can't wait to see what Jim dreams up for next year.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jim Colton

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 02:08:05 AM »
Congrats, Jim and Tom.

I'm open to any ideas.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 04:36:48 AM »
For the love of God, please don't anyone give him any ideas!  :)  My feet are sore enough, and I've got a type of blister I've never seen before on the small toe of my left foot.  I can't imagine doing this again in two days, as Jim has been doing.

As for the courses, I think the Jubilee is probably the hardest course, but some of that owes to having a hard time seeing what you're supposed to do on 4-5 of the tee shots and not being familiar with it.  It certainly produced the highest scores for our fourball, but we also hit it at the peak of the wind for the day, in mid afternoon.

My two highlights of the day were hitting the flagstick with my second shot on #5 -- it bounced well away so I had to settle for a two-putt birdie -- and knocking a 5-iron to two feet on the ninth at the Jubilee, which was a great shot in a severe crosswind.

I have played all week with six clubs, and posted my three lowest scores of the year on the Strathtyrum, the Old Course, and the Eden, playing each of them at a two-hour pace.  It just seemed easier to play when the only decision was whether to hit 5-iron or 7-iron or wedge, and how hard to hit it.  But, it's a lot easier to take that approach on a links course where you can bounce the ball onto the greens.

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 06:22:19 AM »
I see a Hundred Hole Hike special on the Golf Channel followed by a reality show.  Think of all the potential sponsors:  Powerglide, Gold Bond, Bandaids, Aleve, Ben Gay, Hot Ice, Under Armour, True, Kent Wool, The American Psychiatric Association ;)

More importantly- in your brief tour what did you make of the changes to TOC?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:34:11 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Colton

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 07:19:18 AM »
A day I won't soon forget...

Doug Wright

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »
A day I won't soon forget...

Congratulations Jim on an amazing feat these past three weeks. And well done Tom.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
What an amazing feat!  8)

That photo on the bridge is perfect.  An early candidate for photo of the year.

Congrats!

Neil Johnston

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »
Congrats, Jim and Tom.

I'm open to any ideas.

Perhaps any ideas for 2014 more ambitious than this year should be emailed directly to his wife, with a carbon copy to JP Morgan HR..

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
Congrats, Jim and Tom.

I'm open to any ideas.

Cabo in August  ;)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 12:31:55 AM »
Congrats, Jim and Tom.

I'm open to any ideas.

You asked for it...  Here's the idea: 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56185.0.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Niall Hay

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »
And if I knew how to upload photos, you call could see the group posing in front of the R&A.  Oh well.....Click on the link, which may get you to the photo on my Flickr account.  In any event, the group went from the Old to the Eden and on from there.  I understand they'll be having drinks at Hamilton Hall this evening to celebrate for anyone else who's currently in St. Andrews.

Is Hamilton Hall open to the public?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back