News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dustin Ferrell

2015 USGA 4-Ball sites.....Olympic & Bandon
« on: July 29, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »
http://hosted2.ap.org/MIARB/de28c0fc889d40d9b250be473495121a/Article_2013-07-29-GLF-USGA-Four-Ball/id-d804c6a8f251427184c4c80f66566344

Don't know if this was common knowledge, but it was new to me, so thought I'd pass it around.

Dustin

Howard Riefs

Re: 2015 USGA 4-Ball sites.....Olympic & Bandon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
... and Winged Foot and Streamsong in 2016.  

Congrats, Tom, on adding two more USGA championships to your resume.

Here's the official USGA press release:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/7/29/olympic-bandon-winged-foot-streamsong-hosting-inaugural-usga.html

This Golfweek article reports that the tournament will "likely be hosted in late spring."

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/jul/29/usga-four-ball-men-women-olympic-club-bandon-dunes/

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:37:46 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »

Actually, it's just one more ... the press release specifies that they are going to host the event on Bandon Dunes in 2015, and on Streamsong (Blue) in 2016.  I had heard about the selections a month ago, but am sort of surprised, as I'd assumed the four host sites were selected in part so that they could each use two courses for early-round play.  I guess the field isn't going to be as big as I thought.

And I guess this means I'm much better at designing courses for women's championships than for men's?  Still, it's better than being shut out!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:32:07 PM »
Congrats, Tom, on adding two one more USGA championships to your resume.

Actually, it's just one more ... the press release specifies that they are going to host the event on Bandon Dunes in 2015, and on Streamsong (Blue) in 2016.  I had heard about the selections a month ago, but am sort of surprised, as I'd assumed the four host sites were selected in part so that they could each use two courses for early-round play.  I guess the field isn't going to be as big as I thought.

And I guess this means I'm much better at designing courses for women's championships than for men's?  Still, it's better than being shut out!

That teaches me to only read Shack's paraphrased post. Congrats nonetheless.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:42:29 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »
This will be the fourth USGA Championship Olympic will have hosted this century. (corrected!) But still rather impressive.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:23:30 PM by David_Tepper »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »
One thing I find interesting is that the men's picks are daunting US Open type courses where the women's picks are high end resorts.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Steve Kline

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
I'd rather play the courses they chose for the women's events.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »
I absolutely cannot wait for this events to come on-line.  These are wonderful additions to the USGA schedule.  How fun!

Jeff F.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:35:14 AM by Jeff Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Anthony Butler

I hope you don't mind... I brought a friend.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »

Actually, it's just one more ... the press release specifies that they are going to host the event on Bandon Dunes in 2015, and on Streamsong (Blue) in 2016.  I had heard about the selections a month ago, but am sort of surprised, as I'd assumed the four host sites were selected in part so that they could each use two courses for early-round play.  I guess the field isn't going to be as big as I thought.

And I guess this means I'm much better at designing courses for women's championships than for men's?  Still, it's better than being shut out!

Tom Doak = Chick Magnet..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:29:10 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »
"The USGA said earlier this year it was getting rid of the U.S. Amateur Public Links competition in favor of the U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship to meet what it says is a trend at the state and regional level."

I'd missed this announcement - no more public links.  This may have already been a topic on GCA, but to me that's a far more signifigant story than where the new four-balls will be played.

Steve Kline

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »
From my perspective, the Publinx is the same as the Am. It's the same guys competing in the same format. They have become redundant. So, it's no big deal that they are getting rid of it.

The addition of the four-ball is a good one. The USGA should should have more events that cater to the true amateur (we've debated this before regarding the Mid-Am and who should be allowed to play).

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 11:56:46 PM »
"The USGA said earlier this year it was getting rid of the U.S. Amateur Public Links competition in favor of the U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship to meet what it says is a trend at the state and regional level."

I'd missed this announcement - no more public links.  This may have already been a topic on GCA, but to me that's a far more signifigant story than where the new four-balls will be played.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54821.0.html

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »
From my perspective, the Publinx is the same as the Am. It's the same guys competing in the same format. They have become redundant.

That's the USGA's fault.  There were essentially no public course players even competing in the PubLinx.

Once college calendars align to permit pay in the Fourball, it will be dominated by the same early-twenties, pre-professional crowd, too.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back