News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Group analysis of Royal Liverpool? (Hoylake)
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
Hoylake is a course which I respect more than love.  Even so, I think its well down the links pecking order near Trump Aberdeen and Saunton and would not make my top 20 best links whereas I think Birkdale would sneak in.  To me, Hoylake's greatness the fantatsic use of OOB first and foremost.  I always like the idea of flat and dunes holes mixed up and Hoylake does that welll.  The critical reduction of OOB has been a detriment to the design regardless of the desire to host an Open.  The one aspect about Hoylake that isn't often mentioned is the turf - its is (or was) of very high quality.  Its probably been six years since I last played Hoylake - its too bloody expensive to consider a game today.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Dasher

Re: Group analysis of Royal Liverpool? (Hoylake)
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 05:41:47 PM »
I like Hoylake because it's like an old classic roller coaster.  Starts out kind of slow, click, click,click, click as you work your way around the race track, throws in a couple of twists and turns, and then gets tumultuous!  Right before it ends, it delivers you back to the flat for an easy deceleration into the station er, clubhouse.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back