News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bill Vogeney

Top 36 hole private clubs
« on: June 29, 2013, 12:27:20 AM »
Had the pleasure of teeing it up with Clint Squier yesterday at Olympia Fields. I played both courses in 07, and really wanted to play the renovated/restored South course (the North hosted the 03 Open). I really loved it, the green complexes were really fabulous. Clint referred to it as "sporty." I would call it fun but challenging. And has more character than the North.

Afterwards, we were talking to the head pro and he said that if you looked at both courses the only 36 hole complexes better than OFCC are Winged Foot and Baltusrol. The other course at Merion is pretty weak, as is LA South. Personally I do not know enough of the options potential candidates.

What are your thoughts? Where would they all rank if the ranking was based on the strength of each course individually?

jonathan_becker

Re: Top 36 hole private clubs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »
What about Royal Melbourne?  That's a huge one to leave out of the discussion!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:42:15 AM »
Dismal River, Carlton Woods, Champions

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »
Walton Heath is pretty good too. 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »
Not private, but Streamsong is a 36 hole facility.

Barnbougle's 36 have to be better than OF's.    

Could probably pick any 36 you like at Bandon, and come out ahead of OF.

Once C&C finish the cliffs (?) course, Cabot Links will probably be better.  

Would you guys choose Olympia Fields' 36 over Merion's?  

How about Olympic?  

Royal Portrush? 

St. Andrews Old and New? 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 01:05:27 AM »
In Philadelphia, besides Merion, there are:

Cricket (Tillinghast/Flynn/Foster & Hurdzan/Fry) presenting a mix  of classic and modern.
Stonewall- ( Doak) & (Doak)
Philmont (Park,Jr.) & (Reid)

By the way, don't sell Merion West short. One of the more fun courses around.

In Scottsdale:

Whisper Rock (Mickelson/Stephenson) & (Fazio)
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 01:50:33 AM »
On the west coast you can't do much better than Monterey Peninsula and on the East Coast Winged Foot.  Olympia Fields is good
  but not at that level and Oak Hill is pretty solid.  Royal Melbourne is fantastic.  Whisper Rock may be the best club in the U.S.--- two
  good courses with a first rate understated clubhouse, wonderful membership and amenities.

Sidney Lin

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 04:47:47 AM »
The National. 54 holes. Cape Schanck Vic Australia
Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farm in Tasmania.
Hong Kong Golf Club 54 holes.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 05:11:04 AM »
For GB&I, other than the Clubs already mentioned, I suggest Saunton with the East and the West course. I reckon you could probably include Formby as well, although the second 18 is under the title of the affiliated Formby Ladies. St Enodoc has a second 18 called the Holywell. Frilford Heath has three 18-hole courses, the Red, the Green and the Blue. The underrated Minchinhampton has the Cherrington and the Avening plus the affiliated 18-holes at Minchinhampton Old a couple of miles up the road.

Plus, there are many top private clubs with one big strong championship course and another 18-hole course, but of a lower standard. In Scotland Royal Dornoch with the Struie, Royal Aberdeen with the Silverburn are examples of this category.

In Ireland there's Royal County Down with the Annesley. Portstewart has two or is it now even three (?) 18's. Ballybunnion has the Cashen.

All of the above may not be 'top 36-hole' but even if one of the courses at a location is superior and one lessor, IMO they are still worthy of inclusion.

All the best

John Percival

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 06:26:27 AM »
The North @ OH right now is a very under-rated (and testing) course, especially the front. After this year's reno, it will be a terrific compliment to the famous South.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 06:38:33 AM »
Saucon Valley has 3 excellent courses plus a 6 holes short course. Old Course (GW 103 Classic) and Weyhill (GW 88 Modern) are the two best.

Martin Toal

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 06:49:16 AM »
Of the Irish courses, I think Royal Portrush wins.

The Valley is a shorter course than Dunluce but is a very fine course in its own right. The Annesley course is not in the same conversation at all, and I have admittedly played the Cashen at Ballybunion only once, but not planning to go back there anytime soon.

I agree with Brian S, though. If you run the game by asking which club's second highest rated course rates highest, if you see what I mean, then Sunningdale or its relatively near neighbour The Berkshire probably wins.

Pete Balzer

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 07:47:32 AM »
 Semi private clubs

Prairie Club

Red Sky

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 08:12:22 AM »
I would include Jupiter Hills in the discussion:  The Village course is a hidden gem, and although not terribly long (6713 yards) , its course rating is 72.7 with a slope of 140!  It is a terrific design, with some wonderful holes.

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 08:17:55 AM »
Had the pleasure of teeing it up with Clint Squier yesterday at Olympia Fields. I played both courses in 07, and really wanted to play the renovated/restored South course (the North hosted the 03 Open). I really loved it, the green complexes were really fabulous. Clint referred to it as "sporty." I would call it fun but challenging. And has more character than the North.

Afterwards, we were talking to the head pro and he said that if you looked at both courses the only 36 hole complexes better than OFCC are Winged Foot and Baltusrol. The other course at Merion is pretty weak, as is LA South. Personally I do not know enough of the options potential candidates.

What are your thoughts? Where would they all rank if the ranking was based on the strength of each course individually?

Nothing could be farther from the truth than calling Merion West weak. I can only surmise that card yardage is a barometer for you because I can't think of many other courses at 6000 yards that are more fun. I guess you don't like sporty. ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:25:40 AM by Tim Martin »

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 08:22:47 AM »
Westchester CC has two fine Travis golf courses including the West of tournament fame and it's baby brother the South.

BHoover

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 08:23:18 AM »
I'm not saying it is in the same league as Royal Melbourne, Sunningdale or Walton Heath, but I like Firestone. Not only does in have 3 courses, but each is entirely different. The South is a big, brawny tournament course. The North features a nice mix of water, elevation and doglegs. The West features width, wind and tilt.

Brian Finn

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 08:50:20 AM »
I thought Forest Creek was pretty solid...two fun courses at an outstanding club.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

David_Elvins

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 09:11:11 AM »
Royal Melbourne has two great courses but I don't think the overall package quite matches Sunningdale.

We really need to see your list of "Top 10 golf course lunches" someday, Brian. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 09:37:57 AM »
In Philadelphia, besides Merion, there are:

Cricket (Tillinghast/Flynn/Foster & Hurdzan/Fry) presenting a mix  of classic and modern.
Stonewall- ( Doak) & (Doak)
Philmont (Park,Jr.) & (Reid)

By the way, don't sell Merion West short. One of the more fun courses around.

In Scottsdale:

Whisper Rock (Mickelson/Stephenson) & (Fazio)

Talking Stick north and south?
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Niall Hay

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »
Oakland Hills

Niall Hay

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
Sunningdale wins hands down over anything I've seen. Setting, quality of golf courses (both arguably World top 50), maintenance, clubhouse, facilities, proximity to one of world's best cities but still feeling secluded. Royal Melbourne has two great courses but I don't think the overall package quite matches Sunningdale. The only US facility I can see being in the discussion is Winged foot but from the pics I have seen I can't see myself changing my mind after playing it.

Winged Foot and Sunningdale do seem to stand alone.

Baltusrol and Oakland Hills are great too.

David_Elvins

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 10:03:26 AM »
Allow me to rephrase. The combination of two very different courses at Sunningdale in the setting they are in, beats out the combo of RMW and RME in my opinion. Overall package was meant to refer to the golf. Not lunch, clubhouse or anything else.

Big call.  Sunningdale Old and New are must sees but I think but 1. RM has far more great holes, and 2. The fact that so many member don't play Sunningdale New due to the number of penal hazards close to the line of play must count against it, even if it does differentiate it from the Old.  

I still want to see your list of lunches though.  
Be proud of the fact that you are a fan of the golf course lunch!
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Niall Hay

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 10:05:26 AM »
For GB&I, other than the Clubs already mentioned, I suggest Saunton with the East and the West course. I reckon you could probably include Formby as well, although the second 18 is under the title of the affiliated Formby Ladies. St Enodoc has a second 18 called the Holywell. Frilford Heath has three 18-hole courses, the Red, the Green and the Blue. The underrated Minchinhampton has the Cherrington and the Avening plus the affiliated 18-holes at Minchinhampton Old a couple of miles up the road.

Plus, there are many top private clubs with one big strong championship course and another 18-hole course, but of a lower standard. In Scotland Royal Dornoch with the Struie, Royal Aberdeen with the Silverburn are examples of this category.

In Ireland there's Royal County Down with the Annesley. Portstewart has two or is it now even three (?) 18's. Ballybunnion has the Cashen.

All of the above may not be 'top 36-hole' but even if one of the courses at a location is superior and one lessor, IMO they are still worthy of inclusion.

All the best

Royal Troon has the Old Championship course and the Portland course by someone named Alister MacKenzie. Pretty solid.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 02:45:12 PM »
Dismal River needs to enter the conversation.

IMHO, the best I have seen is Winged Foot, Los Angeles CC and Monterey Peninsula CC. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back