News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Here's a rundown of how the best women golfers did at Sebonack.  I'll update the stats each day. 

Round 1:

Length:              6,548 yards

Average score:   75.319

Front 9:             36.551

Back 9:              38.768

Rounds under par:   27

Even par or better:   36

Hardest hole:      #11, 4.513

Easiest hole:       #8,  4.788

# holes playing under par:  3 (8, 9 and 10)

3 hardest holes:    #11, #2, #1

Ave drive:           239 yards (taken on 1st two holes only)

Ave fairways hit:   82.4%

Hardest fairway to hit:  #5, 67.3%

GIR:                    61.5%

Hardest green to hit:    #11, 24.4% (twice as hard to hit than any other green; and over 3x harder to hit than 8, 9 or 10)

Average putts:  1.72/green (about 31 per round)

Cost of rough:   0.791

A few comments.  In the first round, no one missed many fairways.  When they did, it cost them nearly a stroke on average. 

The greens did not bewilder them. 

If they drove under 240 yards the entire course (not just the first two holes), you don't need much length to score well. 

The par 5s played tough, averaging slightly over par for the set. 

Even though the front nine averaged over two strokes easier than the back, the balance of individual holes is pretty even:  5 of the 9 hardest holes were on the front, with 4 on the back. 

I think the USGA will want a tougher setup in round two. 

Tom_Doak

The setup was a bit defensive, on the assumption the wind was going to blow.  They can only speed up the greens if they are sure it won't be too windy, and they probably won't do so until Saturday.

I think the driving stats are a bit misleading, because some long hitters won't take driver on #1 to stay short of the bunkers long left.

David_Elvins

Hardest hole:      #11, 4.513

Easiest hole:       #8,  4.788

The scoring on the hardest hole lower than on the easiest hole  :P

Thanks for posting the stats.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jim Nugent

David, against par of course. 

Jud_T

Of course Dottie Pepper chimed in that the course should be softened in spots as it's a bit unfair.  This after watching a couple players see the ball come back to their feet out of the front right bunker on 11.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

Jud - I missed that.  But to be fair, Dottie Pepper was also really praising the course throughout the broadcast.

Sebonack just looks FANTASTIC.  Width. Awesome undulations. Firm. Greens that look like an absolute hoot. Not sure what more you could ask for?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

C. Squier

The setup was a bit defensive, on the assumption the wind was going to blow.  They can only speed up the greens if they are sure it won't be too windy, and they probably won't do so until Saturday.

I think the driving stats are a bit misleading, because some long hitters won't take driver on #1 to stay short of the bunkers long left.

Or are they taking stats from this week's first two holes....#2 and #3?  That would make far more sense to me.

Jud_T

20 mph winds forecast this afternoon.  Should make for good television!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jeff Taylor

20 mph winds forecast this afternoon.  Should make for good television!

Cannot wait. This place is magical.

Wade Whitehead

I would rather watch the women play Sebonack than the men play Congressional, and it's really not even close.

WW

Jeff Taylor

I would rather watch the women play Sebonack than the men play Congressional, and it's really not even close.

WW

True, even though Congressional looks better than I have ever seen it.
Fox Chapel should get some of your attention.

Wayne_Kozun

Some of them are doing quite well as IK Kim as at -7 after 36 and Inbee Park is at -6 after 19 holes.  Double digit under par is not out of the question.

Jeff Taylor

Some of them are doing quite well as IK Kim as at -7 after 36 and Inbee Park is at -6 after 19 holes.  Double digit under par is not out of the question.

Until the wind blows and they cut the greens.

Tom_Doak

Or are they taking stats from this week's first two holes....#2 and #3?  That would make far more sense to me.

Clint:

Yes, they are taking stats from this week's first two holes ... #2 and #3.  I was saying that some players are not taking driver on the starting hole (#2 normally).  Hardly any can carry the right-hand bunker, but some will worry about going through the fairway on the left, and hit 3-wood off the tee.

Tom ORourke

how the world's best women golfers are playing Sebonack  -   SLOWLY
The announcers mentioned that the first round average time was 5:16 but play was slower on Friday. Are the players seeing any of the "While We're Young" commercials? I am enjoying the round on DVR as I can fast forward but is there really any excuse for play this slow? And what percentage of shots and putts have the caddy behind the player lining them up? This can't make play faster and just looks silly. Shouldn't hitting a golf shot in the right direction by yourself be part of the game? Can the USGA outlaw the caddy alignment? Should they? The course looks as good as I imagined but the pace of play is absurd. Why not 4.5 hours instead of 5.5 hours? And I agree with the earlier post in that I am watching this instead of the men at Congressional. Neat to see the rolling terrain and how the trees frame some of the holes without really intruding on the line of play.   

John Ezekowitz

I must say watching Inbee Park play this afternoon was very impressive. I don't think she missed a shot from the 9th hole onwards. Always in the right spots in the fairway, always on the right tier on the greens. Great ballstriking.

RJ_Daley

Will success of this Women's Open lead to other tournaments held there, like the Barclay's PGA Fed-Ex playoff event?    It sure would beat Liberty National it seems to me.  I don't have the slightest idea of the politics of that, however.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Nugent

Most players finished their second round.  Since the 2nd day is over, here are its stats:

Length:            6594 (3053 + 3541)

Ave score:        76.59.  Nearly 1.3 strokes harder than round 1

Front 9:           37.471.  About 0.9 strokes harder than round 1

Back 9:            39.118.  About 0.35 strokes harder

Rounds under par:    8, with 4 players on the course under par and several more even.  Round 1 had 27 players under par

Players under par after 36:      8, with 2 players on the course under par, and a few more even.  After round 1 there were 36 players at par or less

Projected cut:                        +6

Hardest hole:                 11 -- 4.51.  Just like Thursday, only tougher

Easiest hole:                  18 -- 4.97

# holes under par:         2 -- 18 and 10  (8, 9 and 10 on Thursday)

3 hardest holes:             11, 12 and 14  (11, 2 and 1 on Thursday)

Ave drive:                     237.5.  But a big difference between the two holes.  Average on 1 = 223.6, average on 2 = 251.4

Fairways hit:                   85.7%

Hardest fairway to hit:     5 -- 63.9%

GIR:                              56.4%.  Thursday was 61.5%

Hardest green to hit:       11 -- 38%.  Still the toughest, but unlike in round 1, several other greens were almost as hard to hit

Average putts:                1.73.  Basically the same as Thursday

Cost of rough:                0.651.  Thursday figure was 0.791

The four hardest holes were on the back.  But the five easiest holes were also on the back.  The players again hit nearly all fairways -- more even than in round 1.  But they hit fewer greens, under 60%.  Pretty cool, as I think on the men's tour it's always the opposite, i.e. the players hit more greens than fairways. 

The USGA has not yet played the course at its full length for this event.  Is that coming this weekend? 

The weather forecast for Saturday calls for showers from 7am to noon, plus isolated/scattered thunderstorms the rest of the day.  A challenge for course setup and also finishing round 3. 

Sunday weather also looks real dicey.  Lots of rain and T-storms forecast. 

Anthony Butler

Perhaps it's my imagination, but Sebonack showcases much better on the ESPN 3 coverage on the iPad versus ESPN on the TV. The TV coverage frames too tight on the player and misses much of the course surroundings.

Interested to see if NBC versus NBC network on the IPad will be different later today.
Next!

Jeff Evagues

The announcers mentioned that the first round average time was 5:16 but play was slower on Friday. Are the players seeing any of the "While We're Young" commercials? I am enjoying the round on DVR as I can fast forward but is there really any excuse for play this slow? And what percentage of shots and putts have the caddy behind the player lining them up? This can't make play faster and just looks silly. Shouldn't hitting a golf shot in the right direction by yourself be part of the game? Can the USGA outlaw the caddy alignment? Should they? The course looks as good as I imagined but the pace of play is absurd. Why not 4.5 hours instead of 5.5 hours? And I agree with the earlier post in that I am watching this instead of the men at Congressional. Neat to see the rolling terrain and how the trees frame some of the holes without really intruding on the line of play.   
I
I went to the morning round on Friday and my friend and I were remarking often that a professional golfer (or anyone good enough to qualify for the national open) should be able to line themselves up for a shot. From what we saw no player was in a hurry to do anything all day. I really wanted to yell out "while we're young" a couple of times but the place was so quiet half of the course would have heard it.
Be the ball

William_G

I
I went to the morning round on Friday and my friend and I were remarking often that a professional golfer (or anyone good enough to qualify for the national open) should be able to line themselves up for a shot. From what we saw no player was in a hurry to do anything all day. I really wanted to yell out "while we're young" a couple of times but the place was so quiet half of the course would have heard it.

+1

maybe they can't line up anything, maybe they aren't human?

robotic golf at a slow pace   :-[
It's all about the golf!

jeffwarne

Having a caddie line up a player is somehow legal,
despite it being slow and opposite of the spirit of the rule.

but innovating a better way to putt isn't.

Get a grip USGA.
while we're young...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dean Stokes

Five hours forty for threesomes to play 18 holes. A complete joke. The USGA is doing their job to speed up play? There should be shot penalties all over the place. If it wasn't at Sebonack I would have turned it off after the first two shots I watched - it is like watching paint dry these days watching both the men and the women. And why the girls cannot line themselves up is beyond me.....pick a spot in front of the ball and aim over it.....golfers have been doing it for years.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:09:05 PM by Dean Stokes »
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

David Lott

I wonder how fast the senior men are playing Fox Chapel in the muck? Fox Chapel is a course you can play quickly. Most of it is right in front of you and it's mostly a short few steps from green to the next tee.
David Lott

Richard Choi

At one point today, Paula Creamer was standing there talking with her caddie for 1 or 2 min (I don't know why she can't have this conversation while waiting for other shots), then addresses the ball, retreats, caddie re-paces and re checks the yardage, then both stand there doing NOTHING for another minute or so, then another discussion, yardage check, and FINALLY Paula hit her shot. Even the announcers were remarking how much time she was taking.

If I was playing in the group, I probably would have gone nuts. And this is a player who has her own "While we're young" commercial. If this wasn't so sad, it would be funny. USGA is a joke.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 07:02:39 PM by Richard Choi »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back