News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Gil Hanse named architect for Trump Dubai
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
Congratulations to Gil.   Another win for the minimalists.

Golf course architect, Gil Hanse, the designer who was recently commissioned for the 2016 Olympics in Rio, Brazil has been confirmed for the Dubai golf course by Trump International set in Damac’s latest Akoya development.

The 7205-yard, par 71, 18-hole Championship course, developed by Trump International, which is headed by famed US real estate mogul Donald J. Trump, is the focal point of ‘Akoya by Damac’, a 28 million sq ft development in the emirate.

Construction is already underway at the project, which will include a 30,000 sq ft club house – claimed to be the largest of its kind in Dubai – as well as a Trump Spa & Wellness centre and a selection of dining venues, all of which will be managed by Trump.

Trump International, Dubai is the 15th course Trump will manage, and its first in the Middle East.

Commenting on the announcement chairman and president of The Trump Organisation, Donald Trump said: “Gil is easily one of the most sought after golf course designers in the world.

“We are confident that Gil will bring his unique perspective and expertise to what will soon become the greatest golf course in the region.”

Gil Hanse added his response, saying: “We have always aspired to design courses around the globe and Dubai is one of the most sought after golfing destinations in the world.”

“It is an honour to team up with Mr. Trump again and we are looking forward to bringing forth our expertise to develop a strategic, fun and interesting course, which will fit into its surroundings, while being accessible for all.”

Hanse has been charged with delivering the finest course in the Middle East, with the goal of hosting a professional tour event.

The course will be completed by the end of 2013, with the surrounding luxury villas and mansions, which overlook the course following over the next couple of years.

Damac Properties has completed 8890 units to date spanning 9,070,264 sq ft, it also has a further 19,136 units at various stages of progress across the Middle East region covering 23,816,070 sq ft out of which 5193 units will be completed in 2013.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:00:37 AM by Joel_Stewart »

Adam Clayman

Re: Gil Hanse named architect for Trump Dubai
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:05:56 AM »
The question is... Who turned The Donald onto The Gil. In the past he seemed awfully loyal to The Faz.

Was it just the Olympic commission? Or, was there someone who was able to educate,  that thoughtful design was in vogue?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
I'm going to guess Mr. Trump is very happy with Gil's work at Doral.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
Adam: I believe it had something to do with Gils work at TPC Boston and how successful it turned out.  I seem to remember that Eric Trump and the PGA tour were involved in getting them together.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
Seems like this would have to been in the works for awhile if they anticipate being done with the course by the end of this year. The design process, mobilization, permitting, etc. takes time.

All the best to Gil and his team!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Cristian

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »
Probably I am missing something here, but how can an architect just have been confirmed for the job, while already it is known that there will be a 7205 yds par 71 golf course and that it is also mentioned that 'construction is already underway'.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »
Confirmed and confirmed publicly are not the same thing!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 11:43:04 PM »
The question is... Who turned The Donald onto The Gil. In the past he seemed awfully loyal to The Faz.

Was it just the Olympic commission? Or, was there someone who was able to educate,  that thoughtful design was in vogue?

I think someone educated! After all, he did hire C&C to do his course in Virginia.

now, about those waterfalls, it's been mentioned here that there's been a bit of a battle between the Donald and Mr. Hanse about it at Doral, is that going to be an issue for these projects? we shall see.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 01:25:15 AM »
The article says they will open the course this year.  Does that seem awfully fast?  I get the sense from the discussions here in GCA that it often takes a few years to design/build/open a new course.  They haven't been working on this for the past 12 months, have they? 

Also, does anyone know what the site is like? 

I did pick up this on the web:

"Membership of this golf course is going to be more expensive than any other golf course in Dubai. We know this for sure," Mr El Chaar said."  El Chaar is the managing director of Damac Properties. 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »
Maybe the Donald is Smart
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back