News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Re: How many clubs do you carry? 14? Or less?
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2016, 07:47:14 PM »
I drop down to 7 or 8 clubs if walking/ carrying. I have more fun making the shots work without yardage or every club available. Nothing like hitting driver on par 3's, as Neil Regan will attest!
Joe
There should be a staute of limitations on talking about specific  golf shots.  :)

Thank you.
Joe is either the most boastful humble man I've ever met, or the most humble boastful one...

In true fashion, I consider myself both...
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2016, 08:04:30 PM »
 :)
Very nicely done.
Though I hope you recognize that we teed it up for you...it was a stock 7 iron to pin cut middle right

Rick Emerson

« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »
I used to play in some Amateur tournaments and always carried 14 clubs or more and would even switch between a 3 wood and low lofted hybrid and a 2 iron or hybrid depending on Course conditions. I even carried 4 wedges. Now, living overseas and doing a lot of traveling with golf clubs and trying to walk whenever I play I have become obsessed with carrying a minimal amount of clubs and stuff with a very small bag.

I tried the every other iron and two wedges but I really thought my distance control suffered and I was losing strokes because of it. I finally figured out the perfect set for me.

The New Ben Hogan started making every loft and they build clubs completely to order. I worked out a set with them that is the perfect mix of less clubs and the gaps are not crazy. All my irons have 6 degree gaps and 3/4 inch differences in length. I carry a Driver, 16.5 degree 4 wood, then my hogans at 20, 26, 32, 38, 44, 50, and a 58 degree wedge. With my faithful putter that leaves me with 10 clubs and almost perfect 20 yard gaps between every club.

I feel like I finally have a set that is the perfect compromise being light and simple without costing me strokes. Come to the Kings Putter at Bandon in the spring and check them out. I even have them in a Mackenzie Walker with the NGLA logo. Now if I can just figure out how to play NGLA so I don't feel like a poser for having the bag.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »
As an older golfer who wants to continue to walk the course and recognizes the loss of distance, four things have come to mind which I will have in my next set:
1. the single length set of irons
2. loft of 5 or 6 degrees between irons
3. 10 or 11 clubs in the bag
4. i do not hit lower lofted fairways off the deck very well

thus:
putter
13 deg driver
20 deg fairway
25 deg hybrid
30 deg hybrid
35 deg iron
40 deg iron
46 deg iron
52 deg iron
58 deg iron
64 deg iron .... optional use on severe courses like Ballyhack or Tobacco Road
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Rick Emerson

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2016, 10:33:38 PM »
As an older golfer who wants to continue to walk the course and recognizes the loss of distance, four things have come to mind which I will have in my next set:
1. the single length set of irons
2. loft of 5 or 6 degrees between irons
3. 10 or 11 clubs in the bag
4. i do not hit lower lofted fairways off the deck very well

thus:
putter
13 deg driver
20 deg fairway
25 deg hybrid
30 deg hybrid
35 deg iron
40 deg iron
46 deg iron
52 deg iron
58 deg iron
64 deg iron .... optional use on severe courses like Ballyhack or Tobacco Road
This looks like a great set to me. I also hate low lofted fairway woods and I am a 5 handicap. When I was a +2 I carried a 15 degree hybrid and didn't even look at a 3 wood. My 16.5 degree 4 wood is amazing though. So straight and I don't feel like I give up distance. I think most golfers would do better if they ditched the 3 wood. Bubba is one of the fastest swingers on tour and only carries a 4 wood. I also like your 64 degree wedge idea. The only thing I sometimes miss is my super high lofted wedge I used to carry. I may have to keep the 6 degree lofts and go 50,56,62.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2016, 11:45:18 PM »
It seems the Ben Hogan clubs would allow a set like 56, 51, 45, 38, 30, 21 hybrid, 4 wood, driver.
But, then Hogan don't make left handed. :(
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rick Emerson

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2016, 03:10:54 AM »
It seems the Ben Hogan clubs would allow a set like 56, 51, 45, 38, 30, 21 hybrid, 4 wood, driver.
But, then Hogan don't make left handed. :(
You could always relearn righty!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2016, 04:53:58 AM »
I heard recently that Alister MacKenzie towards the end of his life advocated a change in the rules such that no more than 6 clubs could be used in a round. Any confirmation or comment on this?
Atb

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2016, 05:51:44 AM »

For recreational golf I'm currently playing an up-and-down Downs course at Freshwater Bay on the Isle of Wight from the yellows and carry:-

Driver (for distance),
3i for long f'way  shots between 180 and 150yds
6i for everything under 150 yds,
pitching wedge for pitching and bunkers,
putter for putting.

All carried in a light bag with 6 balls. 

Why? So I can get around the course in 2.5hrs and test my three quarter and half shot abilities and spare my aging legs

Sometimes I'll replace the driver with a 3-wood if the course is tight
Sometimes replace the 6i with a 5i and 7i.
If there are revetted bunkers on the course then I'll include a sand wedge.

So between 5 and 7 clubs

If there's long rough and many gorse bushes then I'll increase my ball reserve to 12 !!!

George Pazin

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
Usually 10 - driver, 3-5-7-8-9 irons, PW, SW, putter. Gaps on the upper end don't matter much.

I've never understood the notion that high handicappers are better served with fairway woods than lower irons. I can't hit a fairway wood to save my life, while some of my fondest shots have been 2-5 irons. If I really cared about score, I wouldn't even bring my driver, either. Guess I'm weird like that.

Occasionally I'll play a scramble and throw in a few other clubs that I wouldn't normally hit if playing my own ball, but that's about the only way I'll get to 14.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

BHoover

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2016, 01:40:01 PM »
The winner will be whomever plays the fewest, yet oldest, number of clubs.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »

It's like "Name That Tune."

"I can shoot 90 with 10 clubs."
"I can shoot 90 with 8 clubs."
"I can shoot 90 with 6 clubs."
"Sir, play that course."
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Steve Lang

« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »
Usually 10 - driver, 3-5-7-8-9 irons, PW, SW, putter. Gaps on the upper end don't matter much.

I've never understood the notion that high handicappers are better served with fairway woods than lower irons. I can't hit a fairway wood to save my life, while some of my fondest shots have been 2-5 irons. If I really cared about score, I wouldn't even bring my driver, either. Guess I'm weird like that.

Occasionally I'll play a scramble and throw in a few other clubs that I wouldn't normally hit if playing my own ball, but that's about the only way I'll get to 14.

GP, THAT SET ([driver, 3-5-7-8-9 irons, PW, SW, putter.) IS 9 CLUBS...  IS THAT WHAT YOU TOOK TO OR TOOK AWAY FROM THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT TOUR A LONG TIME AGO?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Thomas Dai

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
Here's a WITB video with Miguel Angel Jimenez.
What's interesting is that he's suggesting that the pro's should be playing with 10 clubs -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH_Lx-wvnwM
atb

Tim Martin

« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2019, 08:44:40 AM »
I usually carry 13 but drop down to 9 for Winter golf. 5,7,9,W,SW,Driver,4 wood,24 degree hybrid and putter. It seemingly has little effect on my score and trying to hit different type iron shots is a lot of fun.

John Kirk

« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2019, 11:51:36 AM »
14 ultra-modern clubs sit dormant in a closet.

George Pazin

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2019, 05:40:59 PM »

GP, THAT SET ([driver, 3-5-7-8-9 irons, PW, SW, putter.) IS 9 CLUBS...  IS THAT WHAT YOU TOOK TO OR TOOK AWAY FROM THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT TOUR A LONG TIME AGO?

Damn, just noticed this question, 2+ years later. Makes me feel ashamed.

Truth be told, I don't remember. Were I a betting man, I'd wager my 6 iron also made the trip. Did the 4 iron? Yeah, probably. I doubt any others.

Took to or away, now that is funny!! Hope you and Miss Sheila are well, Steve!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Cal Seifert

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2019, 05:49:04 PM »
11 clubs in a ping moonlite. So easy to carry.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2019, 06:44:35 PM »
I play with 14. Seems kind of odd to me to play with less.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2019, 07:10:34 PM »
Ten when I walk and 14 when I don't.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jim_lewis

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2019, 08:17:48 AM »
15 when I can.  I would carry 20 if I could. I carry 4 wedges and always seem to be between clubs. I don't understand the obsession with fewer clubs. I play in a fun tournament with 32 friends each year. Most of the fun occurs off the golf course. We play the "one bag rule", all the clubs you can carry in one bag. Works for me.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

George Pazin

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2019, 10:20:20 AM »
I don't understand the obsession with fewer clubs.

Two reasons:

1) I think it's fun to occasionally be forced to create a shot I wouldn't otherwise hit. You obviously prefer to have the option to have the club do that. Neither is correct, just different approaches. You probably also play more for score. I'm lousy, have to find fun where I can. :)

2) I walk whenever possible. Fewer clubs is less weight to carry. In fact, in really casual rounds at my local muni, I might only carry 5 or 6 clubs - driver, 3 iron, 7-9, PW, putter. It's a shorter course, maybe 6400 yards from the tees I play. No difficult bunkers and few approaches with anything longer than a 7.

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2019, 12:01:02 PM »
It all depends on how many I leave on the range....so anywhere from 11 to 14.  ;D
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Duncan Cheslett

Re: How many clubs do you carry? 14? Or less? New
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2020, 09:03:00 AM »
What's interesting is that he's suggesting that the pro's should be playing with 10 clubs -

atb

I’d give ‘em five!

Pros are generally playing driver/wedge into most par 4s, so all they really need in addition to those is a 3 iron for accuracy/position off the tee, and a 7 iron for everything else in between.

Plus a putter.

Oh, and no caddy, yardage chart, or greens book...

..or tee pegs!  🤣

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:52:38 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2020, 09:20:54 AM »
atb
I’d give ‘em five!
Pros are generally playing driver/wedge into most par 4s, so all they really need in addition is a 3 iron for accuracy and position off the tee, and a 7 iron for everything else in between.
Plus a putter.
Oh, and no caddy, yardage chart, or greens book...
..or tee pegs!  🤣
:) :)
Atb
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back