News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Beard

Wild West Trip
« on: June 21, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
My friends and I have a great trip planned this week:
Shooting Star-Huntsman Springs-Rock Creek Cattle Company-Club at Black Rock-Gozzer Ranch-Coeur D Alene Resort
Are we missing any course?  I am most excited about Doak's Rock Creek.  I hope it's half as good as Ballyneal.

Mark Saltzman

Re: Wild West Trip
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Jim, I made that same trip last year, except I added The Idaho Club and Old Works and didn't play Black Rock.

If you can find the time, try to play at least the front nine there.

No doubt RC3 is the highlight.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »

Against two top Fazio courses, a new David Kidd design and Jim Engh's finest development course?  Really?

I hope Jim will report back on what he finds.  Sadly, I can't get to Rock Creek this summer myself.

Jim Beard

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:13:05 PM »
Tom,
Sure wish you were going to be there. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 02:27:09 PM »
Rochelle Ranch in Rawlins, WY, a Ken Kavanaugh design and a Matt Ward favorite, is in the area and is worth a shot:

http://www.rochelleranch.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:57:46 PM »
Jim how much travelling does this trip involve? How far apart are all the courses? If you were flying in where would you fly to? Jackson?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 03:14:26 PM »

Against two top Fazio courses, a new David Kidd design and Jim Engh's finest development course?  Really?

I hope Jim will report back on what he finds.  Sadly, I can't get to Rock Creek this summer myself.

Tom, really.

Jim, in my first post I meant to say it is the front nine at Old Works that is worth making time for.

Jim Beard

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »
Steve,
Rochelle Ranch looks interesting.  We will have to make it on the next trip.  I have heard of Kavanaugh, but don't know if I have played any of his courses.

Jim Beard

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »
Philip,
We are flying into Jackson and then driving five hours to Rock Creek and then I believe four hours to Northwest Idaho.  Perfect trip for a private plane.

Jim Beard

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
Mark,
We might be able to work in Old Works.  It's on the way to Rock Creek.  Thanks for the advice.

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »
I made a similar trip out west a few weeks ago. Played Rock Creek, Huntsman, And Sutton Bay. Rock Creek is really incredible...you'll love it...and Huntsman is a lot better than I expected and a lot of fun...the people there are great.

The only thing you're missing on your trip is a little fly fishing and a trip through Yellowstone. As good as the golf is, Yellowstone is one of the coolest places I've ever been and well worth the side trip.
H.P.S.

Nick Schaan

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 12:09:40 AM »
I hope your timing at Huntsman Springs allowed you to get in on their big Independence Day bash this past Saturday. I'm not sure there is another golf faculty that does anything like it! Check out the details on their Facebook page and at www.celebrateamericaevent.com

The design of the practice ground took a lot of consideration in regards to hostin this event.

Scott DeBolt

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
Jim,
If you are going to the panhandle of Idaho.... play Circling Raven (Much better than CDA resort)...  Also, if you have extra time one afternoon....check out Coeur d Alene Municipal...  pretty cool older golf course.....   I have friends that are members at Hayden Lake CC...  kind of a short course but worth playing once.... The 1st green is the shape of Idaho....

Have a great trip!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
Sounds great...some cool places on that list.

I played Old Works and liked it generally.  The course is not Nicklaus's best, but the setting and story are really neat.

I have played RCCC, Shooting Star and Huntsman, but plan (maybe this fall) to go back and play Gozzer/BR, and probably go over to Wine Valley.

Huntsman was deserted on a Sunday in Sept. 2011...HS/Driggs is a religious town, and golf is not a big priority on Sundays.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

George Freeman

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 05:59:54 PM »
Jim - how about a report on your trip?!  Pictures are never frowned upon.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jim Beard

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »
Sorry it took so long to report back.  I had to catch up on work.  Pictures will be uploaded later.  Surprisingly, all four us ranked our favorite courses on the trip in the following order:
1. Rock Creek Cattle Company
2. Gozzer Ranch
3. Huntsman Springs
4. The Club at Black Rock
5. Shooting Star
6. Coeur D'Alene Resort
7. Old Works
Rock Creek was by far our favorite.  The course was even better than I had expected. Fun and challenging, the course was in great condition and is one of the coolest places I have ever been. Seven and Fourteen are two of my favorite par 4"s that I have ever played.  Being a member at Victoria National, I am not a Fazio hater.  I do agree with most of you that his courses do run together with the exception of Wade Hampton and VNGC.  Gozzer is great and has exceptional par 5's.  The design variety is much better than most Fazio courses.  Huntsman's back nine was incredible, but the front was not.  Surprising how different the nines are at this very cool club.  Am I wrong about the front nine? We had the luck of having Jim Engh play with us at Black Rock.  He is a great golfer and a fun guy to be around.  I understand his philosophy of making golf courses fun, but I am a minimalist and it will take time for me to love his courses.  They are beautiful and different, so he succeeds in his goals.  He told me that Ireland is where he finds his inspiration and looks up to Mike Stranz designs. Ten to fourteen are about as different as it gets, but they are gorgeous holes and very memorable. I would love some feedback on his designs from you.  I liked this course better than The Sanctuary, The Creek Club and Tullymore.  It is well worth playing, but make sure you have a caddy for the first time.  Shooting Star was the most disappointing of the trip.  It seemed very contrived and was well behind the above four courses on our list.  As different as Gozzer was than most Fazio courses, Shooting Star seemed to be like most of his courses in a beautiful setting.  Coeur D'Alene resort was a pleasant surprise.  It was in great condition and was very memorable.  If you get passed the "floating green," it is a fun courses to play.  There are a few funky holes, especially on the front.  After reading previous posts, I am sorry to say that we did not get Old Works.  The routing was very average and the black slag bunkers were gimmicky.  I am not a fan of Nicklaus design.  Maybe we just wanted to get to RCCC as soon as possible.  I am anxious to hear of some of your views.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »
... After reading previous posts, I am sorry to say that we did not get Old Works.  The routing was very average and the black slag bunkers were gimmicky.  I am not a fan of Nicklaus design.  Maybe we just wanted to get to RCCC as soon as possible.  I am anxious to hear of some of your views.

If you are not in windswept sand, it's a good chance that bunkers period are gimmicky. To say that black slag bunkers are gimmicky in the midst of mountains of black slag seems to me to lack perception.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back